The Diesel Stop banner

Crank No Start

1K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  Powerstroke2004 
#1 ·
Have a 04 f250 with 237000 miles on it. kept up with regular service since i bought it in April of last year. recently did the blue spring upgrade kit, a boost fooler, a 58v FICM, and added a SCT X3 with a strategy tune which i adjusted the engine parameters to. i was making an 18 hour drive from my parents house to Ft Bliss, TX. about an hour away from post, it started sputtering, so i pulled off to use the restroom and let the truck cool down. after i came back out, it wouldn't start. Read some old forums, and tried unplugging injectors one at a time, replaced the crank pos sensor, FICM, and none of it worked. i put it in the shop and was told i have low compression in three cylinders. Any Thoughts? im thinking either a few injectors might be bad,or the piston rings burned out.

#2 ·
How did they figure the low compression? Manual test or scan tool? What cylinders were they? Probably will have to pull the heads to verify any damage.

#3 ·
they used a scan tool, he didnt remember which ones. but is doing the manual test tomorrow. About two weeks ago, my tune fell out of the computer, so i had to retune it, and before i tuned it again, i figured id check codes before hand, and com up with Cylinders 2 & 7 contribution balance, injector 2 circuit open, crankshaft position sensor circuit open, camshaft circuit open and the drivers bank of glow plugs circuit voltage low. but as soon as i retuned, it only came up with KAM error. ill post what he finds tomorrow as soon as i get a chance

#4 ·
Any updates, or new findings?

#5 ·
Just got updated that cylinders 1,3, & 7 have around 230psi. The rest are around 400psi. So with elevation here in El Paso the mechanic said it should have enough to start. Currently he is pulling all 8 injectors to look for cracked or dropped tips. Will update once he calls with rest of info after injectors are pulled and visually inspected.

#6 ·
Got an update today. Passenger side oil rail was loose, is it possible that caused low compression? It was low in cylinders 1,3,&7. And my number 2 injector was in half. Tip was still attached so it wasn't down inside the engine. Any chance these two issues caused my crank no start?

#7 ·
So, here I am 73 days later and its still in the shop. Cylinder 3 has no compression, injectors have been replaced, batteries load tested individually (both are great), icp, ipr, ficm v, ficm mp, LPO, and HPO are all within parameters. Truck will start every once in awhile, but when it does it wont run long. The other day I was there and we cranked it, cranked hard, but right as it was starting up, she stopped and belched smoke from passengers side wheel well. Any ideas? Still no engine codes. Im thinking either wiring harnesses and more than likely rings for the no compression in cyl. 3

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.