Damaged fuel filter cap - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2009, 05:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cool Damaged fuel filter cap

Hello all. Newbie here. Just signed up, and think I'll be looking and learning a lot on this forum.

I just changed my 2 fuel filters yesterday, and while I didn't have much trouble with the chassis mounted filter, I wound up damaging the plastic cap on the one in the engine compartment. I put my 1/2" drive handle in the cap recess to unscrew, and broke off half the plastic. Now I'll need a new cap. Anyone know an alternative to Ford for a replacement? Is there such a thing as an aftermarket cap?

Also... the lower fuel filter cap, I didn't have socket large enough so used an oil filter wrench to remove. Anyone know the socket size?

Thanks,
YV
yellovette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2009, 07:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Don't know of any aftermarket caps but, I would try a local International truck dealer because some times they are cheaper on compatable parts! Also the lower filter cap takes a 36mm socket. Good luck!
Old 03-26-2009, 10:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yea somebody else did the same exact thing and ended up getting a new one at their local international dealer. The cap for the V6 VT275 will fit it just fine.

2008 FX4 F250 CCSB w/ 6.4L PSD - Edge Insight, H13 Bi-HIDs, custom coolant filter, "all deleted", fumoto.
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2009, 11:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellovette View Post
Hello all. Newbie here. Just signed up, and think I'll be looking and learning a lot on this forum.

I just changed my 2 fuel filters yesterday, and while I didn't have much trouble with the chassis mounted filter, I wound up damaging the plastic cap on the one in the engine compartment. I put my 1/2" drive handle in the cap recess to unscrew, and broke off half the plastic. Now I'll need a new cap. Anyone know an alternative to Ford for a replacement? Is there such a thing as an aftermarket cap?

Also... the lower fuel filter cap, I didn't have socket large enough so used an oil filter wrench to remove. Anyone know the socket size?

Thanks,
YV
Discount Power Parts
Old 03-27-2009, 10:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you all for your helpful replies.

YV
yellovette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2009, 11:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

NO No no!!! Get billet cap(s). i know they make the one you need. not sure on the frame mount filter.
2004 E450 Cutaway, 6.0L, quigley 4x4, ambulance pkg., maxbrake controller, curt 20k fifth wheel. Future mods: 52" sleeper, tandem (6x6?) rear (aint look'n likely), frame cover. maybe a Herd front bumper.
2003 E350, 7.3l, x-cargo
2003 F350 Lariat, 4x4, CC, SRW, Dark Green Fx4 SOLD
1995 C3500 6.5l work trk, 2x4, CC, DRW, white DECEASED PREMATURALLY
2003 JEEP WRANGLER, ooooops, not anymore!
1986 26' Seaway Northstar w/ 454 Mercruiser
2008 Montana Mountaineer 332PHT
1991 GMC Topkick, CAT, 4' vert. gang boxes, 12' dump. if only all were as reliable!
SIC-E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2009, 09:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Diesel manor carries the billet ones.

DieselManor - Our Products
American Racing Dominator 20x10
Banks Intercooler - Edge Insight - SCT Tuner
Fuel Pressure Gauge
Head Studs (River City Diesel)
Jobey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2009, 12:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

how did you end up getting the lid off?? I just done the same to mine??

2004/1997 Powerstroke Pics, Ford 9N Tractor,6.0 Bible
dwelch1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2009, 05:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

Remove as much as you can and chip off the rest with a screw driver. Just be careful not to chip or scratch the aluminum filter housings. The machined caps from diesel manor are absolutely gorgeous but cost a small fortune. I have the oil filter cap on my 6.4 so i can mount an oil pressure sender (it is drilled and tap for a sender). The last guy got the engine fuel cap for less then $35 from his local dealer, so that is the easiest way to go. You may find a fuel filter that comes with a cap at your local autoparts store but even if you can get a filter/cap combo i would still get a replacement cap from your local ford or international dealer. See if the dealer will deliver the part if not maybe a neighbor who likes you (and you pay for the fuel) can run you over to get another cap.

2008 FX4 F250 CCSB w/ 6.4L PSD - Edge Insight, H13 Bi-HIDs, custom coolant filter, "all deleted", fumoto.

Last edited by rock_doctor; 09-27-2009 at 05:29 PM.
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2009, 03:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

I too did the same thing when i tried to remove the cap off from the inside of the engine and the plastic hex deal came COMPLETELY off. im guessin since i was working on a hot/warm engine it kind of made the plastic lose its durability so to speak. I bought a new cap at o'reily's up the street. As for the filter on the frame underneath, i did get that changed but i used an oil filter wrench because it is exactly the same size as the oil filter on my truck(which is an 04 ford f250 6.0 to be exact)
viper_09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2010, 09:01 PM   #11 (permalink)

Ok, how exactly did y'all get the secondary filter cap off after the hex broke off?
landis76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2010, 08:53 AM   #12 (permalink)

I took a big screwdriver and a hammer, gently poked a hole in the small lid, then angled the screwdriver and tapped in a counterclockwise direction, be careful not to hit the housing lip (threads) and dont put pressure on the fuel filter, try to keep all the debris out. I bought a new lid at the local International dealer for $13.00, it was not a bad job, 20 minutes or so.

2004/1997 Powerstroke Pics, Ford 9N Tractor,6.0 Bible
dwelch1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2010, 09:40 AM   #13 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to lubbockguy1979
It is like 22mm I think for the socket. Yes it does have a socket drove on it. They put it there for looks only! Use the correct size socket or they will break or even crack 99% of the time. Always use a correct sized socket on the top and bottom. When tighteneing use diesel fuel or two stroke oil to lube the new oring and the threads then tighten till it is flush. the lubrication on the oring will keep you from pulling air under a high load situation. This will save you a lot of headaches
auto, electric tcase
soon to have isspro
fire/air/trans/fuel
stock suspension and
pretty much everything
else
lubbockguy1979 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2010, 08:12 PM   #14 (permalink)

Don't use the square drive to remove the filter. Use a 15/16" 6 point socket. I've seen dozens upon dozens of damaged filter caps caused by people using the square drive.
Ford Senior/Master/Diesel Technician in the Greater Toronto Area. Contact me for help getting your vehicle serviced. Do not contact me with anything pertaining to performance modifications. Proud to be a member of Ford Doctors Diesel Technician Society.
alexb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2010, 10:22 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubbockguy1979 View Post
It is like 22mm I think for the socket. Yes it does have a socket drove on it. They put it there for looks only! Use the correct size socket or they will break or even crack 99% of the time. Always use a correct sized socket on the top and bottom. When tighteneing use diesel fuel or two stroke oil to lube the new oring and the threads then tighten till it is flush. the lubrication on the oring will keep you from pulling air under a high load situation. This will save you a lot of headaches
Diesel fuel can cause the O ring to swell and bind. Use motor oil or vaseline. When the cap bottoms torque to spec.
2005 Lariet, 6.0, 3:73 1969 Mach 1, 428 CJ
1971 Triumph Trident(SOLD)
2007 Road King flhp
2007 Jazz 5er, 11k
173rd Airborne
69cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.