Decoking 6.0 Liter - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2008, 08:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Decoking 6.0 Liter

What info does anyone have on this task. I have recently replaced the EGR valve, had a failure again this am took it to a shop that a friend refered me to and they said the EGR was plugged again and the engine needed decoking. This is the second time in 2 years I have been told this but the dealership I bought from said this is an unnecessary practice. Any info would be greatful.
Optimus Ford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2008, 12:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

Adding sig
5 inch mprp exhaust
Stage 2 AFE intake
Bully dog Triple dog chip
Mama bear drives a 2000 dodge caravan sport with 215 thousand clicks with no problems.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:02 AM   #3 (permalink)

Not sure about the de-coking part, but the inside of the intake gets really crudded up just like the EGR valve. My EGR cooler failed so the tech cleaned the intake when he had it off, and now I go much longer between EGR valve cleanings. Until everything gets crudded up again I suppose.
EGR on a diesel, I just don't get it. Sometimes I have such an urge to just take all that crap off.

2006 F350 CC LWB Dually XLT Oxford white manual 4x4 6.0 PSD 6 speed. 4.10 LS front and rear, Built May05. 4" turbo back, 55 gal aux fuel tank. A real pig from a stop, give me 15' and she'll slowly come to life, then watch out!
165K miles, 12 injectors, EGR cooler, Fuel pump, 8 glow plugs, GPCM, FICM rebuilt FoMoCo engine at 150K under 7/200 warranty.
RatherBNtheWoods is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2008, 05:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

It's unnecessary if the engine operates normally, but if your EGR keeps getting coked up then it's not operating normally, obviously. The root cause of the problem needs to be identified or it'll just keep happening. Some common causes are extended idling, frequent short trips, truck not working hard enough, poor quality fuel, and some engine mods...such as chips that send excess fuel into the cylinders.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

Well here's the latest. I left Calgary at about 11am after the mechanic blew out the intake and cleaned the EGR. This was done because I am in the middle of moving to Kimberley. He thought this would get me through the weekend. I got about 60 klm from home and the truck started burping and fartin blowing white smoke and overheated. Truck is currently abandoned in a farmers yard!!!
5 inch mprp exhaust
Stage 2 AFE intake
Mama bear drives a 2000 dodge caravan sport with 215 thousand clicks with no problems.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have never heard of an EGR valve causing a 6.0L to stall. Did it throw a check engine light? Sounds like with just white smoke like it could be the EGR cooler and your engine is hydro-locked. That's pretty rare, but at least I have heard of that causing a stall condition. Keep us posted.
Evil Eye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2008, 11:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Eye View Post
I have never heard of an EGR valve causing a 6.0L to stall. Did it throw a check engine light? Sounds like with just white smoke like it could be the EGR cooler and your engine is hydro-locked. That's pretty rare, but at least I have heard of that causing a stall condition. Keep us posted.
This is exactly what happened to me last week. The truck would not ran untill it had some boost, then is smoked like a train. All fixed now, but what can be done to prevent this. I am at 50k miles and only 18 months old.
tedmales is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2008, 12:21 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
It is pretty common for egr valves on 6.0 to stick open and cause a stalling, or a burping through the intake and cause black smoke and a feeling in the pedal kind of like a gas engine that is flooded, there are two different egr valves for the 03-04 there is a 4c3z-a valve aqnd for the 05-07 there is 5c3z valve you have to make sure the shop is putting the right valave in and any time its unhooked you have to run a koeo test to reset the zero point on the valave or you may get irregular idle, stalling and a surge.
LS1CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2008, 12:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Ford View Post
What info does anyone have on this task. I have recently replaced the EGR valve, had a failure again this am took it to a shop that a friend refered me to and they said the EGR was plugged again and the engine needed decoking. This is the second time in 2 years I have been told this but the dealership I bought from said this is an unnecessary practice. Any info would be greatful.
As for the decoking of the intake heres how it goes----and this is directly from ford as i am a diesel certified factory technician---- you take the intake off and use ford spray foaming carb and choke cleaner and spray it in
the intake and let it sit and then pressur wash it out, it works better with a steam cleaner type pressure washer, then put it i a steam pressure washer parts cleaner cabinet for about 30 min heated directly after re-steam clean it
out, thats if the inside of the intake is dry when you pull the valave if it is wet
you have an egr cooler leaking and youll have to replace that as well. there is another way not recommended by ford and that is to pull the egr valve and start the engine and put the pedal to the floor and it will blow anything in there out *****do not do this if there are big chunks of carbon stuck in your
valve because they can move into the intake and into a cylinder and bend valves************ ive seen this done, so do so at your own risk, best bet is to pull the intake. if you drive your truck hard like you stole it about once everytime out your intake will stay a lot cleaner if you baby a 6.0 liter you'll be fixing it as long as you own it, its the ones that are driven hard that last! hard to beleive but its the truth good luck with cleaning your intake just be carefull and make sure you use a reputable shop if your not doing it yourself because theres a lot of stuff easily broken if your not carefull with removing the intake.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:29 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks LS1CJ5, I appreciate the advice and the specifics on both procedures. A friend of mine is having the same coking problem and I will pass it on. The diesel mech at my local dealer (where my son also works) said the same thing "drive it like you stolled it", harder they get worked the less the problems...except for oil leaks....
SCT X3 Innovative, Accufab Intake Elbow, Zoodad Mod, Fog Light Overide Mod, FS2500 BOF
Harpoon Mod, RECON Cab Lights, Fumoto'd

Army~Air Cav/Attack Pilot OH-58/AH-1/AH-64
"You Can Run But You Can't Hide..."
Gary Owen!!! Fast Guns!!!
Sabre6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2008, 09:17 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1CJ5 View Post
It is pretty common for egr valves on 6.0 to stick open and cause a stalling, or a burping through the intake and cause black smoke and a feeling in the pedal kind of like a gas engine that is flooded, there are two different egr valves for the 03-04 there is a 4c3z-a valve aqnd for the 05-07 there is 5c3z valve you have to make sure the shop is putting the right valave in and any time its unhooked you have to run a koeo test to reset the zero point on the valave or you may get irregular idle, stalling and a surge.
I have heard countless complaints of rough running due to EGR valve sticking, but never actually stalling...
Evil Eye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2008, 11:32 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
No check light just alot of white smoke when I let the throttle off. I later found this smoke to smell like coolant. Head gasket?? Intercooler?? Intake is confirmed plugged though.
5 inch mprp exhaust
Stage 2 AFE intake
Old 06-30-2008, 07:14 AM   #13 (permalink)

If you have white smoke that smells like coolant, then the EGR cooler has failed. The EGR cooler failure is most likely the result of the oil cooler failing due to being plugged with engine casting debris. You will mostly have to replace both.
Oilguard Bypass Oil Filteration System
Dieselsite Coolant Filter and External Transmisson Filter
4 Inch MBRP SS Turbo Back Exhaust with Muffler Delete Pipe (The Kitty is Safe)
Roll Lock Bed Cover
Quadzilla Recon XZT digital gauge (Boost, Trans, EGT)
RAVOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2008, 09:57 AM   #14 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeB View Post
It's unnecessary if the engine operates normally, but if your EGR keeps getting coked up then it's not operating normally, obviously. The root cause of the problem needs to be identified or it'll just keep happening. Some common causes are extended idling, frequent short trips, truck not working hard enough, poor quality fuel, and some engine mods...such as chips that send excess fuel into the cylinders.

Exactly! Then you read other comments like "drive it like you stole it".

Honestly, I baby my 6.0. 53,000 miles and Zero EGR issues. But, I never idle it (except stoplights) and it never gets driven less than 20 miles.

Short trips and long idling times are very hard on any engine.

Mike
140A Alternator. 125W solar panel. Sportsmobile off-road trailer.
115615 miles. 16.65 mpg average
From Cal to Alaska, Key West, Labrador/Newfoundland and points in between
Salem Kroger coil spring 4wd conversion - 4" lift
05 F350 front axle and aluminum wheels 275/70-18 tires.
46 Gal tank - harpooned pump vent tube.
Scangauge. DieselSite Coolant Filter@72K. Fumoto valve. Amsoil dual remote oil filter setup.
MikeL46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2008, 10:52 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAVOwner View Post
If you have white smoke that smells like coolant, then the EGR cooler has failed. The EGR cooler failure is most likely the result of the oil cooler failing due to being plugged with engine casting debris. You will mostly have to replace both.
yes if you are getting smoke that smells like coolant the egr cooler has probably failed but to be sure that the oil cooler is ok you need the special service tool, the rad kit plus from snapon to install into the oil cooler opening and pull a vacuum on the coolant side and make sure it is free flowing and doesnt pull a vacuum if it does, replace it if not you may just have a failed egr cooler. the other thing is you need to install a pressure gauge into the cooling system linefrom the intake the small one and drive the truck hard while monitoring boost, if the boost under hard load matches the cooling system pressure (like 20-22 psi) you have blown head gaskets and they will need to be replaced you can only do this after you replace the cooler. if they are blown best bet is to get arp head studs and give them to the dealer or shop thats doing your head gaskets and have them install them instead of the torque to yeild bolts we have found that on trucks with repeat failured these have stopped the problems, most dealerships will install these in place of the bolts under warranty and just not say anything about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.