Diagnosing IPR valve - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 11:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to deejay0380
Diagnosing IPR valve

i have a no start issue and was wondering if someone can tell me how to test my IPR valve?
deejay0380 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2012, 12:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay0380 View Post
i have a no start issue and was wondering if someone can tell me how to test my IPR valve?

thats kinda funny i am having a no start when warm and am trying to figure out how to test mine as well! what MY is your truck?
- Muffler delete
- ADP basic solutions kit
- Blue spring/ 6.4 banjo bolts
- Scan gauge II
- New HPOP
- Sinister coolant filter kit
- Rotella T6
NC_Diesel_20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 12:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Diesel_20 View Post
thats kinda funny i am having a no start when warm and am trying to figure out how to test mine as well! what MY is your truck?
2003 ford Excursion 6.uh-oh, i had put alot of time into the thing over this last weekend new oil cooler and fuel pump cleaned my EGR cooler that i was going to delete but it was a bullet proof so i left it alone and reconditioned my turbo the only thing i didn't replace was my HPOP was driving and it was running good but then out of no where it just DIED the devil took my truck again lil bastard!!! i pray it's just the IPR valve cause i really don't want to take the truck apart again i was using muscles i never knew i had leaning over that engine compartment.. well lets hope we can get assistance
Old 05-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

ya i hear ya on the muscles i have been on mine (early 04 sd) now for 3 days and my chest hurts from leaning on the truck. but oh well...... no i have been doing some resarch on the ipr bench test and it sounds like it cant really be done out of the truck. Its sounds to me like an air test, take out the icp hook up your air listen for the leak( if you have one) then have some one turn on the key and the valve should open if you dont hear a difference its because you have a bad ipr... i tihnk thats how it works anyway if i'm wrong someone will step in. good luck and post your results
- Muffler delete
- Scan gauge II
- New HPOP
- Rotella T6
Old 05-03-2012, 12:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

okay so i just figured it out and its just like i said leave the ipr in take two wires and will work...... strip the ends ball it up take off the wiring harness push the ends of the wire in the valve make sure they are not touching i looped the other two striped ends and put the negative on d/s batt and hooked up my ait to the icp added air i could hear the air i touched the + wire to the +terminal and boom! no air so now i know the ipr valve is good so i have to keep hunting.
- Muffler delete
- Scan gauge II
- New HPOP
- Rotella T6
Old 05-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
okay so i just figured it out and its just like i said leave the ipr in take two wires and will work...... strip the ends ball it up take off the wiring harness push the ends of the wire in the valve make sure they are not touching i looped the other two striped ends and put the negative on d/s batt and hooked up my ait to the icp added air i could hear the air i touched the + wire to the +terminal and boom! no air so now i know the ipr valve is good so i have to keep hunting.
well if thats not your issue then it has to be HPOP other than a messed up wiring harness the only thing that would stop the injectors from firing is the FICM, wiring harness IPR valve and the HPOP... is there a way to test the HPOP? i just read the same thing about the testing the IPR valve so we're in the same boat. i'm just hoping mine is the IPR PLEASE let it be that
Old 05-03-2012, 01:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

i dont know of a way or read of a way to test a hpop system i think its one of those if its bad its bad kind of things
- Muffler delete
- Scan gauge II
- New HPOP
- Rotella T6
Old 05-03-2012, 01:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
i dont know of a way or read of a way to test a hpop system i think its one of those if its bad its bad kind of things
I just don't want to tear everything out again... it's not hard but dang laying over that compartment makes for a long day if all i had to do was take the turbo out i would be fine but the intake, turbo, oil filter housing and then bam $500 later for the part... how about the HPOP orings? i have this style HPOP

2003 - 2004 Ford 6.0 6.0L Powerstroke High Pressure Oil Pump HPOP | eBay
Old 05-03-2012, 01:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

i just need the part number for those 3 orings in that ebay listing...
Old 05-03-2012, 11:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

Here is how I tested my HPOP. I purchased a test guage(5000psi), hose and fittings(hydraulic grade). From Pure Diesel.com($80). Pulled the ICP and attached the test gauge. I had changed the pigtail on my IPR so I used the old connector and put a momentary switch on it and attached to 12vdc. Used a remote start button from NAPA to crank the engine. Actuated the IPR(no more than 30 sec.) and read the guage while cranking. You need at least 500 psi to start.

If you have low readings you will have either a leak in the hp oil system, bad IPR/electrical or a bad HPOP.

Make sure your oil level is up. These trucks have an oil level sensor on them. (won't start if you have low oil)
Old 05-04-2012, 08:26 AM   #11 (permalink)

or thin oil or really dirty oil or a restricted oil filter...
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 02:09 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotts Irrigation View Post
Here is how I tested my HPOP. I purchased a test guage(5000psi), hose and fittings(hydraulic grade). From Pure Diesel.com($80). Pulled the ICP and attached the test gauge. I had changed the pigtail on my IPR so I used the old connector and put a momentary switch on it and attached to 12vdc. Used a remote start button from NAPA to crank the engine. Actuated the IPR(no more than 30 sec.) and read the guage while cranking. You need at least 500 psi to start.

If you have low readings you will have either a leak in the hp oil system, bad IPR/electrical or a bad HPOP.

Make sure your oil level is up. These trucks have an oil level sensor on them. (won't start if you have low oil)
I know the oil level is fine i just did alot of work on my truck swapped oil cooler and cleaned my bulletproof egr cooler flushed and oil change new filters all the way around. this happened after

Quote:
Originally Posted by trukdoc View Post
or thin oil or really dirty oil or a restricted oil filter...
just changed the oil, flushed coolant and replaced all fuel and lube filters (engine and tranny) after replacing everything the only thing i didn't touch was the HPOP
Old 05-05-2012, 05:17 PM   #13 (permalink)

so tore it down and found out it's my high pressure oil pump... so sad oh so sad... the devils got my truck hostage
Old 05-06-2012, 01:03 AM   #14 (permalink)

Dude that sucks didn't you just replace it?
- Muffler delete
- Scan gauge II
- New HPOP
- Rotella T6
Old 05-06-2012, 04:49 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay0380 View Post
so tore it down and found out it's my high pressure oil pump... so sad oh so sad... the devils got my truck hostage
Are you getting the pump from PensecolaDiesel? They do not have a good rep for injectors.

How did you convince yourself it was the pump? Also, I assume the pressed-in ball bearing on the pump case was intact?

Also, a tool is now abailable to command the IPR closed:
OTC 6764 Ford Diesel 6.0L IPR Controller / Tester
http://www.denlorstools.com/home/dt1...r__tester.html
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs

Last edited by bismic; 05-06-2012 at 04:54 AM.
bismic is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.