Diesel fuel in degas bottle - what next? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2010, 01:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Diesel fuel in degas bottle - what next?

Just picked up my 06 6.0 F350 DRW from the dealership after replacing the egr cooler and oil cooler. 150,000 miles. The tech advisor stated that he smelled diesel fuel in the degas bottle and said it could be injector cups or a crack in the cylinder head(s). I've driven about 400 miles and I now see a thin layer of fuel in the degas bottle. The truck runs perfect and fuel economy is about 17 on hwy. I need the truck to pull my 3 car hauler this week - going 600 miles empty and coming back with 3 vehicles. Should I make other plans or can I still use the truck. I plan to have the work done in about a month but need to know if I can/should work the truck without causing issues or complications. Thanks for any input/advice!
stonework is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-28-2010, 01:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
buckshot 2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NW FLORIDA
Posts: 264
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonework View Post
Just picked up my 06 6.0 F350 DRW from the dealership after replacing the egr cooler and oil cooler. 150,000 miles. The tech advisor stated that he smelled diesel fuel in the degas bottle and said it could be injector cups or a crack in the cylinder head(s). I've driven about 400 miles and I now see a thin layer of fuel in the degas bottle. The truck runs perfect and fuel economy is about 17 on hwy. I need the truck to pull my 3 car hauler this week - going 600 miles empty and coming back with 3 vehicles. Should I make other plans or can I still use the truck. I plan to have the work done in about a month but need to know if I can/should work the truck without causing issues or complications. Thanks for any input/advice!


I would say no.........how much is your trailer full i it going to weigh
__________________
F250 CC SB FX4
diesel site coolant filter, Scangauge 2,Rotella ELC coolant,4" MBRP with 5"Single Stack, updated fuel (Blue fuel spring)3c3z-9T517-AgSTC Fitting, High Pressure oil Stand Pipes,Nitto Trail Grapplers MT, Daystar 2-1/2 leveling kit
buckshot 2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2010, 01:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
depending on the cars on trailer, I would say about 18k. I will avoid trucks or suvs given the situation. going out of state to buy inventory for my business. lower price and better selection.
stonework is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2010, 02:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
 
teamroper60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Troy, MO
Posts: 7,173
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I would not drive it if I were you. I don't think fuel is going to do your cooling system any good..
__________________
2003 Toreador Red/Arizona Beige CC, DRW, Lariat, FX4, 6.0 PSD, Torqshift, born early Feb. 03; AIC; Silverline turbo-back dual exhaust; 155cc injectors from Full Force Diesel (Casserly); SCT with tuning by Tony Wildman (Total Diesel Performance) & Innovative Diesel; ARP studs; Dfuser regulated return; AFE PG7; Fumoto valve; B&W hitch, Di-Pricol gauges; DIESELSITE Coolant filter; Timbrens; Rancho RSXs; Michelin XPS Traction's; a whole bunch of "bling"; Connex 4300hp; Pioneer DEH6100BT; JL Audio 275w amp driving a 12" sub; JL Audio 50wx4 amp driving the Alpine door and rear seat speakers. 380.3hp/786.7ft-lbs (on my tow tune!)

pics

#43

SLAPS President and Webmaster
teamroper60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2010, 04:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
buckshot 2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NW FLORIDA
Posts: 264
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamroper60 View Post
I would not drive it if I were you. I don't think fuel is going to do your cooling system any good..




+2 i with teamroper i would not pull that heavy of a trailer. something else go out it could be worse.
__________________
F250 CC SB FX4
diesel site coolant filter, Scangauge 2,Rotella ELC coolant,4" MBRP with 5"Single Stack, updated fuel (Blue fuel spring)3c3z-9T517-AgSTC Fitting, High Pressure oil Stand Pipes,Nitto Trail Grapplers MT, Daystar 2-1/2 leveling kit
buckshot 2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2010, 04:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshot 2005 View Post
+2 i with teamroper i would not pull that heavy of a trailer. something else go out it could be worse.
Is this a common situation? What caused the head to crack or cracks to develop in the injector cup(s)? Do you think this happened with egr cooler and overheating?
stonework is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2010, 05:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
buckshot 2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NW FLORIDA
Posts: 264
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonework View Post
Is this a common situation? What caused the head to crack or cracks to develop in the injector cup(s)? Do you think this happened with egr cooler and overheating?



Yes, ether your EGT(EXHAUST GAS TEMP) got high or water temp.Did it get hot on you?Well these trucks are know for blowing head gasket the head bolts stretch under high EGT or very high boost on long hard pulls.And yes if your EGR cooler was bad and the truck got hot that most likely was you problem.
__________________
F250 CC SB FX4
diesel site coolant filter, Scangauge 2,Rotella ELC coolant,4" MBRP with 5"Single Stack, updated fuel (Blue fuel spring)3c3z-9T517-AgSTC Fitting, High Pressure oil Stand Pipes,Nitto Trail Grapplers MT, Daystar 2-1/2 leveling kit
buckshot 2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2010, 09:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Any recommendations on who I should use to do this work - the dealer was out of town 300 miles away where the egr blew. I spoke with Powerstroke Speciaties and I am leaning that way but they are over 5 hours away. My local Ford dealer / service rep seems too busy to discuss the process other than "tearing truck down and letting me know". I don't handle $4,500 estimates too well with my truck in pieces and no other alternative but to let them fix it. Any more repair suggestions are appreciated!!
stonework is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2010, 10:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
m-chan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 123
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel contamination into the cooling system means the head(s) are cracked, plain and simple. If you are out of warranty, there's no point "going in" to "find out what needs replaced". I say this with 100% certainty because in order for injector cups to be the cause, would also require the seal on the same injector with the faulty cup to have failed simultaneously, the chances of which are slim to none. If you choose not to have the dealership do the work, at the very least, make sure the shop doing the work is very experienced with having these engines apart. You would be well advised to deal with this sooner than later. $4500 is still way cheaper than buying a new truck.
__________________
Ford Diesel/Senior/Master Tech
....who works at a dealership that now employs SOME half decent looking female employees since they overhauled most of the administrative staff
....and STILL hates working on E-Series with 6.0LFord Diesel/Senior/Master Tech
m-chan68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2010, 08:01 AM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-chan68 View Post
Fuel contamination into the cooling system means the head(s) are cracked, plain and simple. If you are out of warranty, there's no point "going in" to "find out what needs replaced". I say this with 100% certainty because in order for injector cups to be the cause, would also require the seal on the same injector with the faulty cup to have failed simultaneously, the chances of which are slim to none. If you choose not to have the dealership do the work, at the very least, make sure the shop doing the work is very experienced with having these engines apart. You would be well advised to deal with this sooner than later. $4500 is still way cheaper than buying a new truck.
Do you think I am looking at more than $4500. Do I have to buy new heads or are there reconditioned heads available at lower price? I'm assuming I should replace both since the truck did get really hot when the egr cooler went out.
stonework is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2010, 09:07 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Warren, Oregon
Posts: 2,308
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonework View Post
Do you think I am looking at more than $4500. Do I have to buy new heads or are there reconditioned heads available at lower price? I'm assuming I should replace both since the truck did get really hot when the egr cooler went out.
I would think the price is going to be a little higher but you should be able to get a set of reconditioned heads if it got really hot or you could just get this The Black Mamba 03-07 6.0L BLACK MAMBA POWERSTROKE CRATE MOTOR 425HP products, buy 03-07 6.0L BLACK MAMBA POWERSTROKE CRATE MOTOR 425HP products from alibaba.com just a thought.
2 stroker
__________________
06 F350 4x4 PSD Lariat FX4 CC LB
Edge Insight CTS with Expandable pyro
AutoMeter Fuel Pressure Gauge 0-100
Sinister Fuel Pressure Adapter
Updated Fuel Reg. Kit 3C3Z-9T517-AG
WOT 58lbs Idle 62-64lbs Just Right
HFCM Water Separator Drain Plug Upgrade
Ford Cetane boost every fillup
Amsoil By-Pass(Amsoil 5w40)
Fumoto Oil Drain Valve
Dieselsite Coolant Filtration System
Dieselsite Boots
Delo ELC Coolant
Tow Command
Upfitter Switches
Pulling a 14,000 lb Alpenlite 5er
Roll-N-Lock bed cover
97 F350 4x4 PSD CC LB (sold it)
1700 Super Chip
PacBrake&ATS converter lockup
3" dp-4" exhaust
TruCool 28,000 lb cooler
Tymar Intake
A pillar EGT,Boost,Trans
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Wheel & Tire Center

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:19 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.