Diesel Gelling Up - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2008, 10:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry Diesel Gelling Up

I had my filters gelled up after 1,000 miles of changing the filters I was stuck on the highway in Chicago and every tow truck had a 5-6 HR wait time. Then the state police came by and 15 min later a truck came. But befor that I pulled both filters out and the fuel didn't looked gelled so I left the lower fuel filter out, Later to find out that if there's no filter in there the truck wont start the dealer told me. 2 days before this I added diesel 911 to 1/2 tank then fill the tank full. That night it got down to -4 out side truck started fine but on the way home I was getting a turbo lag it would almost take 15 sec to build boost. So next morning drove for about 1hr and then my truck lost all power and died. I was told from the dealer there has been a lot of bad diesel going around and had to change a lot of fuel filters, I'm from the Chicago burbs and I was wondering if any one else had been having problems with fuel gelling up? also what stuff works the best to stop that from happening and if the filters are gelled can I keep them and keep them warm and re use them later on as a spare????
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2008, 12:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

I feel for you Banshee1. As for the question about re-using a gelled filter I am sure someone is going to say to get rid of it just in case. Diesel 911? Is this a fuel anti-gel/lubricant? My other concern that you raise is that the dealer is saying that there has been some bad diesel going around> how do they know? Why aren't they telling anyone about it? Is it from a certain station? I will bet that they are blowing smoke and guessing but don't mind the work. You would think if a station was selling bad fuel they wouldn't be selling much fuel after this.
Good luck.
L
BCP mod-switch #4, CAC tube secured
Zoodad
LEER Canopy and Chrome stepbars, Draw-Tite 18k Signature Series hitch
Line-X bedliner
Sirius Satelite Stereo
Alarm/Remote start
2000 26 ft Frontier Plainsman fiver - 11k loaded

Looking to add LCD monitor/gauges, back up lights and intake elbow soon
NU2Diesel2006 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2008, 03:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah the diesel 911 is a De Geller /water. Well the dealer told me he has been changing a lot of filters do to them gelled up and said there is really no guide lines for the fuel stations???? I filled up at a fuel station that I really see no other diesels filling up so it may be old fuel maybe not even winter blend so I am done with that place.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

From what I'm reading, "Power Service Diesel 911" isn't intended as a regular additive but something to use as an emergency primarily for taking care of water in fuel/icing issues.

If you're getting fuel gelling, you need to find an additive that is an anti-gel, not something intended to "de-ice" and manage water in an emergency situation. Gelled fuel is gelled fuel, not frozen water.

Wasn't it last year that several large fleets in up-state New York had major down-time, including school buses, because the trusted the additives in the new ULSD, and it failed them and gelled like Jello?

"Treat me good, I'll treat you better; treat me bad, I'll treat you worse." - Sonny Barger
FamilyRide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2008, 11:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

FYI:

For all of your Emergency Diesel Fuel Needs!
Diesel 9򈚑 , as its name implies, is the product diesel-engine operators call on when they have a fuel emergency. Water is the number-one problem found in diesel fuel and can cause potentially serious problems to your fuel system, including microbial growths, rust or enhanced corrosion, a reduction in the lubrication properties of the fuel, injector nozzle deterioration and in winter, fuel-filter icing.

Diesel 911 Features:
  • Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) Compliant contains less than 15 parts per million (ppm) sulfur
  • Effective in all diesel fuels, including ULSD and biodiesel
  • De-ices frozen fuel-filters no requirement to change fuel-filters
  • Prevents fuel-filter icing
  • Reliquefies gelled fuel in minutes no tow truck needed
  • Removes water from fuel system extends life of fuel-filters, fuel-injection pumps and fuel injectors
  • Contains Slickdiesel for maximum fuel lubrication protects fuel injectors and pumps against accelerated wear from Low and Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) fuels
  • Contains the type of non-harmful alcohols recommended by diesel engine manufacturers for removal of water in diesel fuel systems
  • When used as directed, does not lower the flash point of No. 2 diesel fuel below the ASTM minimum standard

"Treat me good, I'll treat you better; treat me bad, I'll treat you worse." - Sonny Barger
FamilyRide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2008, 11:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Gelling problems

with the introduction of low sulfur fuel, i did some research last winter when Several diesels were left stranded in Western Pa. What I was told that diesel fuel was now a federal fuel and that the stations/refiners are no longer permitted to treat the fuel for winter. I don't know how factual that is, but when you spend 8 hrs thawing out a 97 f700, you tend to wonder. As far as the diesel 911, only an emergency treatment really. For Preventative measure and to put lubricity back in the fuel, try K100 d, By kinetic labs, Lucas Winter blend or Power service (make sure for the anitgel to get the white bottle)

Hope that helps
Trh24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2008, 07:23 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trh24 View Post
with the introduction of low sulfur fuel, i did some research last winter when Several diesels were left stranded in Western Pa. What I was told that diesel fuel was now a federal fuel and that the stations/refiners are no longer permitted to treat the fuel for winter. I don't know how factual that is, but when you spend 8 hrs thawing out a 97 f700, you tend to wonder. As far as the diesel 911, only an emergency treatment really. For Preventative measure and to put lubricity back in the fuel, try K100 d, By kinetic labs, Lucas Winter blend or Power service (make sure for the anitgel to get the white bottle)

Hope that helps
They have to be treating it for winter because I can buy #1 diesel and right next to it is #2 diesel; the difference being one is treated for winter and the other is not. I can tell you I went through the exact same thing; no response and then the truck died. Trying to save a few bucks I pumpted #2 diesel and added "anti-gel" from Ford. The problem is, Ford has 2 different kinds of additives, one with anti-gel one without; guess which one I had On top of it, the #2 I pumped was bio-5 and bio in the cold is bad news!! I took my filters to the grain elevator that owns the station where I bought the fuel and showed them as my dealer (after the tow to their shop) informed me of the bio. Fuel manager stated "thought for sure that bio would have been out of that tank by now." Lesson, check the fuel additive you are using, I use it year round for lubricity, and be sure you get fuel from a good station; I try to only buy it where I see plenty of big trucks buying their fuel as I'm pretty sure it is good and changes over enough to be "new."
Old 02-14-2008, 08:20 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtodieseling View Post
They have to be treating it for winter because I can buy #1 diesel and right next to it is #2 diesel; the difference being one is treated for winter and the other is not....
#1 is not treated for winter. #1 is #1. #2 is #2. They're two different fuels. #2 has a higher BTU content (resulting in better mpg) but gells at warmer temps than #1. That's why folks run #2 most of the time, and only #1 when cold temps become an issue.

Where are ya from? I'm from Rock Rapids. You can't get much more "NW IA" than that.
w_huisman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2008, 09:14 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by w_huisman View Post
#1 is not treated for winter. #1 is #1. #2 is #2. They're two different fuels. #2 has a higher BTU content (resulting in better mpg) but gells at warmer temps than #1. That's why folks run #2 most of the time, and only #1 when cold temps become an issue.

Where are ya from? I'm from Rock Rapids. You can't get much more "NW IA" than that.
IA Great Lakes area
Old 02-14-2008, 04:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

I have been on the GM sites and many of them are having the same problem of gelling fuel in Illinois. From what was stated on those sites is that Illinois has authorized all diesel in Illinois to be a Bio diesel of up to 10-20%.
I used to live in Minnesota and 2 years ago they mandated bio diesel and in the first cold snap 80% of the diesel trucks got gelled up, and the trucking companies were complaining big time, so they changed the mandate and post poned it due to the issues with bio diesel.
kozkoz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2008, 07:52 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozkoz View Post
I have been on the GM sites and many of them are having the same problem of gelling fuel in Illinois. From what was stated on those sites is that Illinois has authorized all diesel in Illinois to be a Bio diesel of up to 10-20%.
I used to live in Minnesota and 2 years ago they mandated bio diesel and in the first cold snap 80% of the diesel trucks got gelled up, and the trucking companies were complaining big time, so they changed the mandate and post poned it due to the issues with bio diesel.
I heard the dealer saying that about the Bio Diesel and them not stating on how much there using. I just filled up today and used this so Its going to get down to 0 tonight so I'll see.

Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost
This is the product of choice for optimal winter operation. Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost contains the most effective antigel additive package available in the diesel industry - no blending with No.1 diesel or kerosene is needed to achieve maximum winter protection. Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost keeps fuel injectors clean and boosts cetane up to 4 numbers for faster cold starts and a smoother running engine.

While it is preferable to use Diesel Kleen +Cetane Boost in non-winter months for maximum injector clean-up and a cetane boost of 6 numbers, Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost can be used on a year-around basis. Although Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost is an antigel, it will not harm your engine to use year-around.

Winter Performance Benefits:
  • Prevents fuel gelling in temperatures as low as -40癋.
  • Equals the performance of a 50/50 blend of No. 2 and No. 1 diesel fuels
  • Lowers Cold-Filter Plugging Point (CFPP) as much as 36癋. keeps fuel-filters from plugging with wax
  • Boosts cetane up to 4 numbers for faster cold starts
  • Contains anti-icing additives protects against fuel-filter icing
Year-Around Performance Benefits:
Old 02-14-2008, 08:01 PM   #12 (permalink)

I grew up IN LITH.My family and friends still live over there.DON'T buy your fuel from thortens!!!!! My buddy And my brother have gelling issues from there.Not saying there fuel is bad but they don't seem to get the winter blend right.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Contains the type of non-harmful alcohols recommended by diesel engine manufacturers for removal of water in diesel fuel systems.....

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't our manual specifically state NOT to use any additives that contain alcohol??
2003 Toreador Red/Arizona Beige CC, DRW, Lariat, FX4, 6.0 PSD, Torqshift, born early Feb. 03; AIC; Silverline turbo-back dual exhaust; 155cc injectors from Full Force Diesel (Casserly); SCT with tuning by Tony Wildman (Total Diesel Performance) & Innovative Diesel; ARP studs; Dfuser regulated return; AFE PG7; Fumoto valve; B&W hitch, Di-Pricol gauges; DIESELSITE Coolant filter; Timbrens; Rancho RSXs; Michelin XPS Traction's; a whole bunch of "bling"; Connex 4300hp; Pioneer DEH6100BT; JL Audio 275w amp driving a 12" sub; JL Audio 50wx4 amp driving the Alpine door and rear seat speakers. 380.3hp/786.7ft-lbs (on my tow tune!)

pics

SLAPS President and Webmaster
teamroper60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.