DIESEL TREATMENT - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DIESEL TREATMENT

Has anyone use Howes diesel treatment just got my truck back from dealer 4 new injectors,and fuel pump was told to add with next couple fill ups what does everyone use i never added anything 116000mi
LILPHIL1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 05:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Start with these: ARCHOIL products OR Rev-x additives. What we use in the 6.0's.Pretty much adopted by us who run this engine as tried and true. I also run Diesel -Kleen as well. There are others as well/ Stanadyne and Opti-Lube. May I ask what filters you run,what oil/weight? What year truck?...b
03 F-250 CC LB XLT 3:73 rear/ almost stock/ early build/ 78,000 miles...03 F-250 ext cab Lariat Fx4 SB 3:73's /stock/187,000 all original injectors...FICM by Ed @FICM.COM / ScanGuage 2 monitoring the vitals...
03powerstrokeuser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 05:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Im using Archoil in the oil and the fuel.....

Dieselsite Coolant Filter
Edge Insight CTS w/ Fuel Pressure, EGT and Turbo Timer
Blue Spring Upgrade
HFCM Water Separator Drain Plug Upgrade
High Idle Mod
Mag-Hytec 6 Quart Diff Cover
Bilstein Shocks & Dual Stabilizer
285 70 17 Toyo's
Airlift Air Bags
18k Pullrite Superglide

06 Gearbox 295FS
00 Harley FLHR
06 KTM 525 EXC
06 Rhino 660
jeffws is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (1)
I have had great luck with Hot Shots Secret. I do monitor my fuel pressure (blue spring installed) and get around 70psi. I am running all original injectors with Rotella T6

2008 f-250 Lariat - 5.4 Gasoline - Absolutely Love It

2003 F-250 FX-4 --Sold my last diesel
cyclone3565 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 07:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

2006 CREWCAB dually all stock change oil every 5500miles 15-40 shell and fuels 10000 with ford filters change anti 55000 i never added anything into the fuel tank living in NEPA
LILPHIL1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 07:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Great info. If you migrate to syn oil, the 6.0's love it. Also do a fuel additive as mentioned earlier for lubricity, you should go many more miles...b
03 F-250 CC LB XLT 3:73 rear/ almost stock/ early build/ 78,000 miles...03 F-250 ext cab Lariat Fx4 SB 3:73's /stock/187,000 all original injectors...FICM by Ed @FICM.COM / ScanGuage 2 monitoring the vitals...
03powerstrokeuser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
As stated you should switch to a 5w40 better at startup and your injector will like you for it. I use the Ford stuff works for me.
Cetane Booster and Performance Improver (ULSD Compliant)
2 stroker
Sinister Fuel Pressure Adapter
Updated Fuel Reg. Kit 3C3Z-9T517-AG
WOT 58lbs Idle 62-64lbs Just Right
HFCM Water Separator Drain Plug Upgrade
Ford Cetane boost every fillup
Amsoil By-Pass(Amsoil 5w40)
Fumoto Oil Drain Valve
Dieselsite Coolant Filtration System
Dieselsite Boots
Delo ELC Coolant
Tow Command
Upfitter Switches
Pulling a 14,000 lb Alpenlite 5er
Roll-N-Lock bed cover
97 F350 4x4 PSD CC LB (sold it)
1700 Super Chip
PacBrake&ATS converter lockup
3" dp-4" exhaust
TruCool 28,000 lb cooler
Tymar Intake
A pillar EGT,Boost,Trans
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 06:54 AM   #8 (permalink)

Here is a link to a study that shows the what and the why for fuel additives: Lubricity Additive Study Results - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

The key point to get is here: "The U.S. standard for diesel fuel says a commercially available diesel fuel should produce a wear scar of no greater than 520 microns. The Engine Manufacturers Association had requested a standard of a wear scar no greater than 460 microns, typical of the pre-ULSD fuels. Most experts agree that a 520 micron standard is adequate, but also that the lower the wear scar the better."

The scar test number for the fuel is what can hurt the injectors. It is said to be what is really hurting the high pressure fuel pumps in the new diesel engines from a lot of manufacturers - Bosch says the pump needs 460 scar fuel, while US suppliers are pumping 520 scar fuel, and the pumps are failing. When they fail, they take out the engine putting aluminium shards through the entire fuel system. I don't have any info on what the 520 scar fuel does specifically to our injectors and the 6.0 does not have a high pressure fuel pump to worry about.

For my fellow Canadians - the Canada standard for fuel lubricity is 460 scar, and we are just now going to mandated 2% biodiesel. We just don't have the fuel issues that US owners do, but if we travel in the US, we need to stock up on and use a fuel additive to be safe. Also - whatever fuel additive you choose should NOT contain alcohol. Alcohol does a good job of absorbing water from fuel and sending in through the fuel system, and we all know that water in fuel is bad - the fuel filters cannot filter out the water-absorbed alcohol and it gets into the injectors. There are other additives that get rid of water and don't allow it to be passed through the water separator in the fuel filter system.

Brian

Last edited by MC5C; 12-14-2012 at 07:01 AM.
MC5C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 10:29 AM   #9 (permalink)

I ran Howe's after I first bought my truck it stayed in freezing environment, now, pay attention to this part. I do not blame Howe's it could have all been just coincidence but I had multiple injector failures which eventually lead to head trauma and wall scarification. The dealership making the repairs told me to discontinue the use of cleaners and fuel additives. But ever since I started using the stuff in the gray bottle at Walmart i think it's called diesel Kleen by power service in every tankful I have had alot less problems and the truck runs good and smooth unless I fillip and let it sit parked for about two weeks

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Radiator, thermostat, heater valve, degas cap, EGR cooler; now deleted, Head gaskets, oil cooler, STC, stand pipes, dummy plugs, Upfitter switch, high idle mod. Motorcraft max batteries, Harley Davidson windshield x's 2, Scangauge II
RECON Big Rig Ice running board lights, interior LED light conversion, smoke LED tail lights, third brake light, mirror lights, fire & ice tailgate strip. ARP studs, Garrett powermax turbo, Metal CAC tube w/cool it thermo tec aluminized coating, Turbo oil supply and drain, Blue spring, Fuel/water separator drain plug, Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 275/65R20 & Gatorback belt, Drilled/slotted rotors w/ceramic pads. IPR Generation 2 EGR & up pipe delete. IPR High flow coolant filtration system. JVC KW-NT700, Fumoto oil drain, block drain x's 2, Viper 5904 remote start & security, Rotella ELC conversion, CAT delete, tailgate assist.
05_HARLEY_F250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 03:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

Wondering who makes the Ford Additive?
2012 F250 Lariat 6.7 Golden Bronze 4X4, MBRP Filter Back Duals, Alpine INE-Z928HD, Focal Amp and Speakers and a ton of Dyno Mat, RetraxPro, Clifford Alarm Recon smoked marker/clearance lights, HID Headlights, Rigid D2 Driving Lights (in fog location), Bilstein 5160 shocks,Hellwig Big Wig Sway Bar

Protected by H&KUSP and friends

2006 Hummer H2 (traded for diesel hope never to go back to the dark side (gas)
2005 F250SD SB 4X4 6.0 Harley Edition (traded)
2003 7.3 F350 DRW 4X4 (traded)
2001 7.3 F250 4X4 (traded)
Steve Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 01:06 PM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Campbell View Post
Wondering who makes the Ford Additive?
Lowest bidder?

- Don
Notice: Anything that I or anyone else writes about my vehicle on this, or any other, website pertaining to modifications or alterations, is only for discussion purposes and/or to gain acceptance from my peers, and may not actually represent anything existing on my truck, and thus, can not and should not be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, whatsoever that may arise for any cause.
deliberate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.