Dual battery charging - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 10:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dual battery charging

When charging batteries can you hook a charger (different chargers) up to both batteries at the same time or will that conflict with the electronics?

If I am understanding correctly the drivers side battery is the starting battery and the passenger side battery is the accessory battery or something similar.

When do they actually or do they ever throw juice together?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2011, 10:56 AM   #2 (permalink)

The batteries are hooked up in parallel so both provide power to start the engine and run the accessories.
I have used two chargers, one on each battery, without any issues. To avoid conflict between the chargers I disconnect one of the batteries' ground cables but others may say that it is not necessary.
'06 F350 Lariat SRW X-cab,4X4,Torqshift 5-speed Auto,w/23000lb GCVWR and many other options, Vandal Alert Cyclops, Pressure Pro TPMS, Extang Tuff TonnoIII, Duraflap mud flaps and Roadwing mud flap system, towing a Hitchhiker 33' Discover America 5'er and a Lund boat. Stock and doing fine. Coolant filter, Fuel regulator upgrade.
bobsherrie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2011, 11:05 AM   #3 (permalink)

Didn't know that both of them started the engine, I thought they were separated some kind of way.

So if you're dead in the water with no starting juice then both batteries are going to be drained...

I have heard somewhere though that for starting purposes I needed to hook up the charger (or jumper cables) to the drivers side battery. Guess it doesn't make any difference at all?

Is there a maximum amperage you would throw through a charger for immediate starting? (I just purchased a larger charger this morning with a 200 amp starting mode on it)

Newer batteries check good, alternator check good, but something has drained it a couple times over the last few weeks and I am thinking it has something to do with the viper alarm/remote starter

Last edited by outlawdiesel; 11-07-2011 at 11:10 AM.
outlawdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2011, 11:07 AM   #4 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
One thing to remember if you are having battery problems get new batteries because weak or bad ones will kill the FICM at a cost of about $1100 from Ford or $300 to have yours repaired should be a min of 850CCA
2 stroker
Sinister Fuel Pressure Adapter
Updated Fuel Reg. Kit 3C3Z-9T517-AG
WOT 58lbs Idle 62-64lbs Just Right
HFCM Water Separator Drain Plug Upgrade
Ford Cetane boost every fillup
Amsoil By-Pass(Amsoil 5w40)
Fumoto Oil Drain Valve
Dieselsite Coolant Filtration System
Dieselsite Boots
Delo ELC Coolant
Tow Command
Upfitter Switches
Pulling a 14,000 lb Alpenlite 5er
Roll-N-Lock bed cover
97 F350 4x4 PSD CC LB (sold it)
1700 Super Chip
PacBrake&ATS converter lockup
3" dp-4" exhaust
TruCool 28,000 lb cooler
Tymar Intake
A pillar EGT,Boost,Trans
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2011, 11:28 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post
One thing to remember if you are having battery problems get new batteries because weak or bad ones will kill the FICM at a cost of about $1100 from Ford or $300 to have yours repaired should be a min of 850CCA
2 stroker
Thanks for that info. I have two "newer" 1000 cca batteries installed. About 1 1/2 years old now. Just went and got them checked to make sure and showing good.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

I have a Battery Tender Plus hard wired into the passerenger side battery so when it sets for over a week i plug it in because when you start you need 48 volts for the injectors to run and if you are low on volts you will kill the injectors also so batteries need to be at a full charge with the cold weather coming and they like a 5w40 Syn oil.
2 stroker
Fumoto Oil Drain Valve
Dieselsite Boots
Delo ELC Coolant
Tow Command
Upfitter Switches
Roll-N-Lock bed cover
1700 Super Chip
3" dp-4" exhaust
TruCool 28,000 lb cooler
Tymar Intake
A pillar EGT,Boost,Trans
Old 11-07-2011, 11:59 AM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
if you want to use two chargers, then disconnect one of the batteries' negative cable. You don't want two chargers in the same circuit at the same time.
2005 F-250 XLT SuperCab long bed 128k. Torque Pro. 3X Fumoto's. Dieselsite filter. BPD EGR cooler. Blue Spring. Rotella ELC. Rotella T6. Archoil 9100. Improved HFCM plug. Power Service every tank. 24" wipers. PIE. AutoEnginuity.
Idahoser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2011, 12:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

edit post
Old 11-07-2011, 12:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post
I have a Battery Tender Plus hard wired into the passerenger side battery so when it sets for over a week i plug it in because when you start you need 48 volts for the injectors to run and if you are low on volts you will kill the injectors also so batteries need to be at a full charge with the cold weather coming and they like a 5w40 Syn oil.
2 stroker
Also great info stroker, from what I had been told in the past I didn't think you needed both batteries...but from what you are saying I want to make sure both batteries are charged instead of just the drivers side battery before starting.

What about jumping off from another vehicle, obviously you have no choice than to use one battery or the other...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahoser View Post
if you want to use two chargers, then disconnect one of the batteries' negative cable. You don't want two chargers in the same circuit at the same time.
That is exactly what I am looking for, thank you
Old 11-07-2011, 12:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

Jump off just like normal battery, if using a battery charger only one is required and it will feed the other battery, if you use two remove postive cable that is how they are hooked together in parallel , cable runs over top your radiator in a sleeve.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:34 PM   #11 (permalink)

Not a good idea to use two chargers

I've had some experience with battery chargers and it's good to have a little bit of background information when using/charging.

Most of today's battery chargers sense the battery's condition and will adjust their output accordingly. Almost all of them are not designed to "see" another source while charging and what will likely happen is you'll end up confusing the sensing circuitry and they'll go into "maintenance mode" rather than a charging mode.

Without boring everyone to death with the details - use a good quality battery charger whether it be for simple trickle charging of fully charged healthy batteries or a larger charge rate/charger for batteries that have been drained and need a good bit of refreshing.

Keep in mind that our lead acid batteries (and all batteries of any existing design with the exception of self limiting designs) experience damage when either discharged too quickly beyond design limitations or are overly discharged at any rate. Our starting system flows a huge amount of current during the starting operation. All of that current flow generates a large amount of heat in the starter and also in the batteries themselves.

As far as batteries go - this should be in another post - having two large capacity lead acid batteries does add some complications. Make absolutely sure your connections are all very clean and all cabling is in near perfect condition. If you have any question as to whether both batteries are healthy take them somewhere to have them load tested.

I make a point to advise people to always replace them as pairs because the weakest battery will always drag down the good one to equalize the system.
bulletproofdiesel oil cooler
dieselsite coolant filter
mlwest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2011, 01:46 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlwest View Post
If you have any question as to whether both batteries are healthy take them somewhere to have them load tested.

I make a point to advise people to always replace them as pairs because the weakest battery will always drag down the good one to equalize the system.
This brings up another question:

I had them load tested and they check out good, but the person who tests them (two different people at different times) agreed that one starts the engine and the other is for accessories which I am now finding is incorrect.

Even though both checked out good, in order to do a proper load test shouldn't they be checked without being hooked up in parallel together?

If one was bad, could they get a false reading from the other battery being hooked to it?
Old 11-07-2011, 02:02 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawdiesel View Post
This brings up another question:

I had them load tested and they check out good, but the person who tests them (two different people at different times) agreed that one starts the engine and the other is for accessories which I am now finding is incorrect.

Even though both checked out good, in order to do a proper load test shouldn't they be checked without being hooked up in parallel together?

If one was bad, could they get a false reading from the other battery being hooked to it?
I've not verified the statement that they are wired in parallel but I do believe it's the case. I know there are those that frequent this site that do have the schematics to verify.

IMHO anyone telling you that one is used for starting and another for accessories without having at least seen the schematic which enables that behavior is just blowing smoke.

I do know it is not uncommon in the gasoline world to add a second battery that is isolated from starting but I don't believe that's the case for 6.0L owners.

I do know that they MUST be disconnected to do a proper load test using a large carbon pile load tester. In theory you could test both but the tester would have to be huge in order to create a large enough load to make the batteries work hard in parallel.
bulletproofdiesel oil cooler
dieselsite coolant filter
mlwest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2011, 02:03 PM   #14 (permalink)

Each one needs to be load test by itself.
2 stroker
Fumoto Oil Drain Valve
Dieselsite Boots
Delo ELC Coolant
Tow Command
Upfitter Switches
Roll-N-Lock bed cover
1700 Super Chip
3" dp-4" exhaust
TruCool 28,000 lb cooler
Tymar Intake
A pillar EGT,Boost,Trans
Old 11-07-2011, 02:20 PM   #15 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via MSN to kwcat Send a message via Yahoo to kwcat
The Ford diesels are parallel and the batteries need to be disconnected and tested one at a time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.