EGR Valve removal tool - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2008, 04:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR Valve removal tool

Help! I'm removing my EGR valve to clean it out and change the gaskets, do I need a special puller to remove it, or what?
downsmi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2008, 05:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

As these little buggers can get caked up with soot pretty good, I think a good tool is a ladies slipper, heal bar, etc., etc. You need to apply a fairly constant and upward force, working your way around the base of the valve body, to get it out.
'04 Excursion EB, 6.0 PS, 4X4, Magnaflow Performance exhaust, Isspro gauges (boost, pyro and tranny), Bilsteins, aFe intake, front and rear leaf spring upgrade w/ bags, 30mm rear sway bar, SCT Xcal2, Red-Head box, Jordan brake controller, Arctic Fox 29V - 20,420# GCW, Everything haulin' me, the wife, the 5 Amigos, Millie and Yogi (our 2 Berners).
Stewey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2008, 05:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
They do make a special puller to remove the EGR valve, but I have used a good broom stick with wire wrapped through the holes in the EGR Valve many times to pull mine. Just tie the wire, and use the broom handle to 'pry' up to pop out the EGR valve. It's kinda tough, but it should 'pop' out.

Good Luck!!
NCfarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2008, 06:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Clean it - Use Carb cleaner, not brake cleaner - keep the fluid out of the weep holes. Use new O-Rings (kit number is 3C3Z-9P455-AB).

ALSO: Clean EBP tube (vehicles built before 9/23/03 have the EBP sensor taken out of the computer control strategy), Also clean MAP sensor hose and manifold opening.

If you have a problem getting the valve out, take the 2 8mm bolts out, spin the valve by hand, and use two lady fingers or heel bars depending where you live (1 under each tab) and pull it right out.

When you go to install the valve it is normal for the valve not to go all the way in. Push it as far as you can and use the bolts to suck it in (do it as evenly as possible).
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
bismic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2008, 06:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

I used mechanics wire through the bolt holes steady upward pressure and tapped it lightly as I pulled, it popped right out. I thought about useing a pry bar of sorts but did not want to chance to much pressure on one side and cracking it.

Past truck 1992 F250 XLT 7.3 IDI ex-cab 4x4 auto 372,000 kms. It ran great; then a moose killed it!
pgjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2008, 08:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
OT

My Photos: (8)
Down..yes, there's a special puller for egr valve & suggestions made for removing without it. Main forum pg. at top.."6L FAQ" with pic's. Good luck!
Old 04-17-2008, 08:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks alot guys, you really helped me out. I don't have shoe horns, but I do have a painters multitool, and that worked great when a pried it under the ears with side of tool from cleaning off a paint roller. Also a tip for anyone with kids that saved the small baby food jars, that fits the EGR just perfectly when letting it sit in Carb cleaner to prevent it from getting in the weep holes

Later
downsmi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2008, 07:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

Here are the EGR cleaning instructions from Ford Doctors website.

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articl...icle-06-12.php

2008 FX4 F250 CCSB w/ 6.4L PSD - Edge Insight, H13 Bi-HIDs, custom coolant filter, "all deleted", fumoto.
rock_doctor is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.