The Diesel Stop banner

Electrical problem? power starts shutting off stuff while running

11K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  TKOPerformance 
#1 ·
While running the truck and sitting still and in no particular order - the a/c stops working, the radio stops working, and all electric functions in the cab start failing. The truck keeps running. I am okay with getting new alternator and new batteries. Thinking about purchasing it. On the Carfax it shows it has been in the shop for electrical problems in the past. Anyone have suggestions or know if this is common problem with the 2007 Ford F250 6.0 V8 turbo diesel? What causes this type of problem? Has a clear title and not salvage - I was thinking water damage. Power relays under the hood and/or loose wire in the tilt steering wheel were ideas I have. Next thought is if it was in the shop (a dealership) and fixed...why is it happening again? Any suggestions.

#3 ·
They have been known for issues with the fuse panel. Any signs of water damage at that spot? Even without signs of damage it can have issues. I had to bypass the fuel pump area of mine, and cruise no longer works.

Does your radio go off sometimes as well? Mine does that too..

#5 ·
Does your radio go off sometimes as well? Mine does that too..
That's almost certainly your cluster going bad. It was the first thing that started intermittently not working in my truck. Other functions followed. If the climate control is electronic it could certainly cause issues there too. There are timers and relays soldered to the circuit board for the cluster that can fail. I sent mine to these guys:

Speedometer Repair, Repair Speedometers &* Instrument Cluster Repair - Advanced Auto Electronics, Inc.

100% solved the issue and they had it back to me very quick, and it came with a warranty too. Much cheaper than a reman cluster from Ford, even through Auto Nation, and going that route you have to send them your old one so they can program the new one with your mileage, etc.

#4 ·
A buddy on the ORG was having weird problems like that, there's a relay or something in the dash/cluster. He sent it to https://circuitboardmedics.com/ford/ They fixed his problems, don't know if this'll help you or not. You might give em a call.

Here's a quote from their site...

PRODUCT REPAIR DESCRIPTION

This is a Ford Super Duty instrument cluster repair service on 2005, 2006, and 2007 Ford Super Duty (F-250, F-350, F-450, & F-550 SuperDuty) vehicles. The Ford instrument cluster is commonly referred to as the instrument panel, dash cluster, speedo, speedometer, gauge cluster, or cluster. The Super Duty (or SuperDuty) instrument cluster has several common issues including stuck gauges and the battery saver relay circuit. The most common problems are:

Gauges sticking, inoperable, or giving incorrect readings (speedometer, tachometer, coolant temp, fuel, voltage, turbo (Powerstroke) etc.)
Intermittent power to radio, power windows, or interior dome light
Intermittent power to all gauges
Low fuel indicator on at all times with fuel gauge also reading empty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.