The Diesel Stop banner

Electrical Shutdown Today

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  TKOPerformance 
#1 ·
Readers,

07 6.0L recently Bullet Proofed. Driving this morning and noticed all the lights (dash, headlights) seemed dim. About 5 minutes into trip, the lights got a lot dimmer, the ABS light came on, then the battery light, then the wrench light. Lights almost completely went out and the truck started sputtering (no fuel being delivered?). About 3 more minutes the lights (all of them, dash headlights, radio etc) went dead and the truck shut down. Dash lights were flashing in and out, acting like a short. It took a jump and fired again only to shut back down when I unhooked the cables. Tried starting one last time (without cables) and it ticked like the battery is dead. Am I looking at A) Battery, B) Alternator, C) Wiring Harness, D) Get a new truck!

#3 ·
Individually charge the batteries. Then individually have them load tested.

#4 ·
Test the alternator too. When the alternator stops charging you run off the batteries until they are dead and then you are beyond what a jump can do, unless you unhook the cables from the batteries and jump it that way, but if the alternator isn't charging you won't be able to unhook from the other vehicle and go anywhere. It does sound like an alternator, but testing stuff is more or less free and parts cost money, so I always like to be sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.