The Diesel Stop banner

Engine problem

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  TKOPerformance 
#1 ·
I have a 2004 6.0 with ARP studs, bulletproof egr cooler, bulletproof oil cooler, but everything else is stock. It has recently started acting up, but only once its completly warmed up and then only when taking off from a dead stop. It sounds like the motor is quieter and not much power and then it kicks in and sounds normal and back to normal power. Any things I should check or look at before taking it to the dealership for diagnosis?

#2 ·
Do you have a scanner or a way to read codes? It could be a number of different issues, try checking the oil pressure and fuel pressure. Look at your FICM voltage.

#3 ·
If I had to bet I would say the turbo is sticking and needs to be cleaned.

#4 ·
turbo or egr valve (if the egr ststem is still functional) would be my two guesses

#5 ·
#7 ·
If you are going to own a 6.0 truck for the long haul a code reader is certainly a wise investment. That being said, what you need to realize is that a code reader is just like any other tool in your toolbox. It can help you diagnose a problem, but it is not some magic box that will always tell you what the problem is and how to fix it. If you have a CEL (Check Engine Light) on all the time that indicates a code which means the PCM "sees" a problem. This may mean that there is a faulty sensor, but it may also mean a wiring problem, or a mechanical problem. The PCM is limited in what it can "see" by what its connected to, and even then sometimes you will get its best guess as to what the issue is. Other times it thinks everything is fine when it isn't. Codes can also lead you down the wrong path, for example I've seen a lot of injectors replaced due to injector codes only to have the problem persist because the issue was a bad FICM not bad injectors, which in my experience rarely set codes if at all.

The best course if you get a code is to do a search on this forum or start a new posts and get some feedback on it. You may find that the code is commonly caused by something other than the code indicates. Or you may not get a code and need to know how to conduct other tests to determine the cause of the problem.

So in summation, yes, get a good code reader, but don't abandon traditional diagnostic techniques because you have a code reader. A copy of the Ford service manual is also very helpful because it will give you pinpoint tests for every code. You can typically find a manual on CD for about $60.

Reactions: bismic
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.