Is the external transmission filter... - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2007, 12:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to agdodge4x4
Is the external transmission filter...

Something that is going to dump 1/2 gallon fluid on me when i open the cap? Ive never done it before, and was going to do my 30k tranmission service...drain pain, refill, and replace trans filter.

Texas A&M University
Class of 2002

2005 F-250 4x4 (FX4), Lariat Arizona Beige/Black two-tone, 5 spd Auto, 6.0L.
agdodge4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2007, 12:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Is the external transmission filter...

I did mine with a friend who has a shop last weekend and very little was left in the system after we had removed and cleaned the pan. Maybe a soda cans worth? Sucker holds a lot of fluid...
06 F250 Lariet 4x4 CrewCab LB, SCT by Innovative (removed, I wish they would call me back...oh well), Fumoto Oil Drain, Amsoil oil Bypass, Gaylord X2000 bed cover, Banks Ram Air, Banks High Ram, Banks Turbo Back Exhaust, DR 2.5" leveling kit, Mag-Hytec front/rear diff and tranny cover and 35" BFG KO's. Best vehicle I have ever owned.
06250stroke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2007, 12:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

Im just talking about the external one.....the pan ain't goin' anywhere.

Texas A&M University
Class of 2002

Old 08-17-2007, 01:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Just put a catch pan underneath and unscrew it. Maybe a few ounces is all that will come out unless you dump the canister and filter.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)

No. Just a couple ounces, if that. I found some instructions somewhere - maybe Dieselmann's site or Ford Doc?
Oh, and eat your Wheaties before you try to unscrew that thing.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Wheaties before you try to unscrew that thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats what i hear. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Texas A&M University
Class of 2002

Old 08-17-2007, 03:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

soak the new one in clean fluid also when you do it. and then you may need to add 4 to 8 ozs ..

F-350 Lariat LOADED CC SRW LB 6.0 SOLD
Med. Wedgewood Blue
All Options except moon roof
8'6" Fisher X-blade SS
2003 PSD 6.0 Lariat CC SB SOLD
All options but the moon roof
Scottb NY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2007, 03:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Drained my pan and changed my external filter last night. Like everyone has said... a few ounces out of the cannister, just be sure not to spill it. Total fluid out of pan and filter was 8.5 quarts. Here is a link for a flush but there is all the info. needed for a drain and filter replacement as well.

2003 F250 4x4 XLT Supercab SB 6.0L/TorqShift, FX4, Add On's: 285/75/16 BFG AT's, MBRP turbo back, Dieselsite coolant filter, Isspro gauges on the A-pilar, remote start, RhinoLiner, Prodigy, Husky floor liners, Husky mud flaps, Firestone Ride Rites #2071, fumoto valve, Weathertech Weatherflectors
maps6874 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2007, 06:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

I found when I first loosened mine that the appropriate sized wrench and a quick tap on it with a hammer loosened the cover right up. No bending, breaking or foul words (or odors for that matter)! Now it comes off easily because I don't overtighten it when I reinstall it.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:49 AM   #10 (permalink)

I changed mine yesterday. It didn't drop too much fluid, and I had a catch pan ready. I did drain the pan first. The remote filter cover looks like it was cross threaded of overtightened from the factory. The threads were totally boogered up. I spent about a half hour cleaning mangled aluminum from the threads and making sure they were workign properly. Then I replaced the filter with a new NAPA Gold filter and reinstalled the cover with a little grease on the threads to prevent further galling. I torqued it to the spec'd 37 lbs/ft then went just a hair tighter because I figure that the added interference from the not-quite-right threads probably threw off the wrench reading a little.

I also replaced the pan filter at the same time. It's probably overkill, but I figure that I'm being harder on the trans with the tuner and such, so a little extra maintenence isn't a bad idea. The pan was easy to pull and replace. Having a drain plug is very nice indeed. I only ended up with a small amount of fluid in my hair, instead of bathing in it like I've done on other vehicles.

BTW, aside from a very small amount of metal on the pan magnet everything was totally clean. I figure for 25,000 miles that was damn good.
'06 F250 4x4 - 5" Flo Pro exhaust, SB Filter intake, Accufab elbow, Edge Evolution (monitoring only), SCT w/ ID custom tune, FASS 195 pump, Gillette Diesel EGR cooler delete, Sinister Diesel coolant filter, ELC coolant, updated turbo drain tube/oil feed line/STC fitting/oil cooler, ARPs w/OEM HGs, Elite coolant lines, ITP RR fuel system, Warren Diesel 175cc injectors, Powermax, BD CCV, FICM.com FICM w/ ID tune, Elite UP, BPD water pump - 13.069 @ 101.94

'02 WRX - Outback rear disc swap, EBC green pads, DBA pillar vane rotors, TXS UP/TBE/TMIC, Perrin LW crank pulley, PPG billet steel shift forks, ACT Streetlite flywheel & clutch, K&N filter, STi Group N motor/trans mounts, TiC/Kartboy rear diff mounts/subframe lock bolts/outrigger stiffeners, Kartboy SS & all shifter bushings, custom PDX tune for Cobb AP - went 14.1 on a terrible 60ft before most of these mods; shooting for 13.50s
TKOPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2007, 09:53 PM   #11 (permalink)

Is there some sort of gasket on the pan? I need to pull my pan and change the internal filter soon.

I changed the external filter the other day for the first time. I had the trans flushed at the dealer at 30K and asked them to also change the external filter. Two different SAs swore up and down that the external filter change was not required yet...even after I showed them the owner's manual. My truck has not been back to them since. At any rate, I just got around to changing the external filter myself and it was really easy. It took a 7/8" socket and not all that much force to get it off. FWIW, the filter was nasty and the fluid inside the canister was very dirty as well. I've got about 45K on it now and plan to drain the pan, change the internal and external filters soon. I might even get really energetic and attempt the flush procedure myself.

Current Truck -- 2008 Black F350 XLT 4x4, 6.8 V10, CC Long Bed, 4.10 rear, 18" wheels, IBC. Additions: Chrome Step Bars, Chrome door handles, Silver barbed-wire pin stripe, B&W Turnover GN ball
barrelhorses is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2007, 08:56 AM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)

[ QUOTE ]
Is there some sort of gasket on the pan?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, there is. It is reusable and much better than the gasket that usually comes with a new filter.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Mark Kovalsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2007, 10:35 AM   #13 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)

Welcome back, Mark.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:40 PM   #14 (permalink)

Thanks.

Current Truck -- 2008 Black F350 XLT 4x4, 6.8 V10, CC Long Bed, 4.10 rear, 18" wheels, IBC. Additions: Chrome Step Bars, Chrome door handles, Silver barbed-wire pin stripe, B&W Turnover GN ball
barrelhorses is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2007, 12:31 AM   #15 (permalink)

My Photos: (17)

I changed my fluid & external filter today & had no problems using a regular sized rachet wrench & the 22mm socket for the filter. I wonder if all the guys that said it was tight & hard to remove tried to do it cold. I also put some pipe dope on the threads to eliminate any future problems, but grease or Vasiline would do just as well.
2013 F-350 Lariat 6.7 L PSD Crew Cab Dually, FX4, white platinum metalic tri-coat with black interior, N-Fab step bars, factory spray-in bedliner and 5th wheel hitch, trailer tow package, integrated brake controller, upfitter switches, Sync with My Ford Touch, memory group, remote start, reverse sensing with rear view camera, nav, satillite radio, Weather Tech floor mats, limited slip diff, moon roof, climate controlled seats, engine block heater and tailgate step.

2014 Lifestyle (formerly Carriage) 5th wheel 38' long with 3 slides & all the goodies.

SOLD: 2005 F-350 Lariat, 6.0 PSD, Torqueshift auto trans, crew cab, SRW, short box, FX4, ESOF, limited slip dif., tow command, upfitter switches, 6 CD changer, Lariat Lux. package, camper package, engine block heater, triple A-pillar gauge set (Autometer) with pyrometer, trans temp & voltmeter, MBRP 4" cat back exhaust w/5" dual wall chrome tip, dark shadow gray/ med. flint interior.
wpetko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.