F250 Block Heater - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2011, 01:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
F250 Block Heater

I just got my F250 6.0L Turbo Diesel to Montana. It has been negative degree weather everyday and my truck doesnt want to start right away. It takes several times to get the engine to turn over. The truck came with a block heater so last night i plugged it in for the first time but this morning, the truck was still cold and struggled to start. How do i know if my block heater is working and keeping my engine warm?
jdwebb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2011, 02:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
It's probably working, if you have guages, the coolant and oil temp gauges will be warm. Probably anywhere from 50 to 100 degrees.
Short Bed, Crew Cab, Sun Roof, Power Rear Window
18" KR wheels, Camper Package, Tow Command

Mods: Shaker 500 Stereo, Alpine MRV-F450 amp, Line-X, Edge Insight, MBRP 4" Turbo Back Exhaust, Diesel Site Coolant Filter, Blue Spring upgrade, Removed Ford Gold Coolant, Fuel Pressure Guage
ralderman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2011, 02:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

everything was cold. The guages didnt move when i turned the truck on so my oil temp was cold
Old 02-23-2011, 07:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Do you have anything but stock guages? ralderman was not referring to the stock guages. As long as I've owned my 6 liter, plugging it in has never had a visible effect on the stock guage position after a cold soak. During sub-zero temps, I can easily tell if my block heater is working-the truck starts up better, but it sounds like it's missing terribly because of the lack of distribution of heat from the block heater. what i mean is.... the side with the heater element is warmer than the other side, so upon cold start, as the engine fires through it's firing order, the cylinders on the drivers side bank make more noise than the ones on the pass side(heated) bank. You may need to check your power source, or make sure you're using an appropriate cord. Better to use a lower guage (thicker) cord, and shorter length.
DIY-Coolant Filter

137,000 as of 1/26/2012

3/19/11, Converted to (red) Delo ELC, new bottle & cap, all temps reading good, orig EGR & OIL coolers, probably thanks to the coolant filter, and previously frequently flushed Motorcrap Gold.

Keep on truckin
andrewbalser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2011, 10:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

you should be able to grab the upper radiator hose and feel if its warm. Mine is quite toasty even in sub zero weather...
2003 2500HD 6.0L XC LB SRW | B&W Turnover | Mortally Wounded in Tree vs. Truck Season #2, with a elbow/trunk drop to the midsection, running longzies
Case 580SE Extenda-Hoe 2wd
tharepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2011, 11:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I'm running the Edge Insight and at 15* if i plug mine in, in 3 hrs it will be up to 90* another thing what wt oil are you running in cold weather use a 5w40 and they like Syn oil right now i'm useing 15w40 Amsoil but i will be switching over to a 5w40 for the next winter will change around Oct-Nov the only time mine really runs is when it is pulling my 5er the rest of the time i use my 97 i have the best of both worlds
2 stroker
Sinister Fuel Pressure Adapter
Updated Fuel Reg. Kit 3C3Z-9T517-AG
WOT 58lbs Idle 62-64lbs Just Right
HFCM Water Separator Drain Plug Upgrade
Ford Cetane boost every fillup
Amsoil By-Pass(Amsoil 5w40)
Fumoto Oil Drain Valve
Dieselsite Coolant Filtration System
Dieselsite Boots
Delo ELC Coolant
Tow Command
Upfitter Switches
Pulling a 14,000 lb Alpenlite 5er
Roll-N-Lock bed cover
97 F350 4x4 PSD CC LB (sold it)
1700 Super Chip
PacBrake&ATS converter lockup
3" dp-4" exhaust
TruCool 28,000 lb cooler
Tymar Intake
A pillar EGT,Boost,Trans
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2011, 07:22 AM   #7 (permalink)

Check the resistance across the two prongs of the heating element once you unplug the cord from it. It should measure somewhere between 12 and 17 ohms (Ford Specs). If your outside of that range then you need a new heating element; also make sure that there is little to no corrosion on the two prongs as this could cause an issue (in heater performance and resistance measurements). If the resistance measurement is within that range your block heater cord may have something wrong with it. You can check the resistance of your cord poles, which each should measure dang close to 0 ohms. Hope this helps.
c85r86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2011, 09:09 AM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (64)
I only plug mine in when it goes into the teens. And as 2stroker said you only need it plugged in for 3 hrs prior to starting.

Simplest test you can do to check the heating element it is when you plug it in you should notice a small arc in the receptacle of the extension cord because of the 12Amp load of the heating element being connected to the feed (120VAC) .

I've got a scangauge2 and my ECT is around 80-90 in the morning. People call them block heaters but in actuality the heater element is just keeping the coolant in the block warm and its drawing quite a few amps wile its doing it too.

Thats another reason why a lot of guys hook up timers so as to only turn them on 3 hours before you start her up.
Eng Bld: 02/03/05 Indianapolis
2825 Hrs +/-, 101K Miles - No Major Probs other than brakes
DC Power 185 Alternator
ZOODAD, SEIC,
Atlas 40 FICM @ 90K
4" Banks Turbo-Back Duals
3.5" Ready Lift
Bilstein 5100's
315 - 70R17 Duratrac's
Centramatics
Bodiak Front Receiver
SG2
Coolant Filter
HFCM Plug Upgrade
Blue Spring Upgrade
FP Gauge
Zerex Red ELC
2 Stroke TC-3W Oil added 1oz/Gallon Fuel

Last edited by Band_Member; 02-24-2011 at 09:11 AM.
Band_Member is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2011, 09:37 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks guys for all the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.