Failed FICM or injector spool valve(s)? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2010, 10:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Failed FICM or injector spool valve(s)?

New to this site...
I have an 04 6.0 and have been going to same mechanic for quite a while. Anyways..My 04F250 has been having a hard time starting...it's starts but it's a hard start and rough running..wants it idels for a while the truck runs just fine....anyways my mech says that there might be something wrong w/the FICM or injector spool valve and that this might be some sort of recall that Ford should fix?? My truck has 122k miles and I'm doubting that Ford will fix it and I'm wondering if I can tackle a fix on this myself since I'm getting the feeling that my mech is a little twitchy about trying it himself???

Any recommendations?
COATED is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2010, 11:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (16)
Each injector has a spool valve so if that is the issue then it would require finding the problem injectors and replace it or all of them. You should be well mechanically experienced to do that.

The FICM issue is well discussed here for both testing and re-soldering if you are electronically capable. It's an expensive part to screw up.

Truck Pictorials on Facebook. Google - Facebook TooManyToys

Step Lights;Painted Flanges; Bypass Oil Filter; Heated Mirror Switch; Reverse Lights; 7.3L Fuel Reg Shim; 6 Disc Radio Speed Volume Mod; Coolant Filter, etc.
FMTRVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2010, 11:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMTRVT View Post
Each injector has a spool valve so if that is the issue then it would require finding the problem injectors and replace it or all of them. You should be well mechanically experienced to do that.

The FICM issue is well discussed here for both testing and re-soldering if you are electronically capable. It's an expensive part to screw up.
When my mechanic initally thougtht there was a problem he said that it was coming from 'cylinder #5' according to his diagnostic computer. He ordered a part for it and then somehow came upon a TSB 08-26-03 procedure...He's pretty sure that according to what he researched that the problem has to do w/the FICM because the engine starts rough but then it's fine once it is warmed up? I'd like to tackle the problem if it is a FICM issue since I have heard it's WAY pricey to have the dealer fix it? Is there something I could do to make sure it is the FICM??? Where do I look on here to find how to test/re-solder etc..etc...???
Thanks for you help!
Old 03-14-2010, 12:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

I am fairly familiar with what you are experiencing since I have an 03 6.0 that so far has had 3 injectors (Two more now going....YEA, ME!) a defectuve fuel pump, new batteries, FICM, cam position sensor (That one was a special change...) and guess what? NONE of it fixed the no start for long....I finally found the problem last week after talking to a mech at the local Ford dealer (I only buy my parts there...won't take it in for anything). Turns out, the starter was my no start issue. No damage to the gears on the starter or the flywheel, the big solenoid on the starter itself was shot.

Try this out as I spent a lot of time looking around this site. It was a great "Start here" for me. Troubleshooting a No-Start condition - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Also, do you have a programmer that you can use to read the DTC codes? Your mechanic should be able to tell you what they are if you don't. Call your local dealer and explain the problem and see what it would cost to diagnose the problem. May be a lot cheaper for you to do that than to spend a few hundred (or thousand bucks) chasing the wrong problem as I did.

My FICM was $1300 (It requires programming) and a new wiring harness plus labor cost me a total of $1700 to install.

Good luck, keep us posted!
CaptChaos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2010, 01:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptChaos View Post
I am fairly familiar with what you are experiencing since I have an 03 6.0 that so far has had 3 injectors (Two more now going....YEA, ME!) a defectuve fuel pump, new batteries, FICM, cam position sensor (That one was a special change...) and guess what? NONE of it fixed the no start for long....I finally found the problem last week after talking to a mech at the local Ford dealer (I only buy my parts there...won't take it in for anything). Turns out, the starter was my no start issue. No damage to the gears on the starter or the flywheel, the big solenoid on the starter itself was shot.

Try this out as I spent a lot of time looking around this site. It was a great "Start here" for me. Troubleshooting a No-Start condition - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Also, do you have a programmer that you can use to read the DTC codes? Your mechanic should be able to tell you what they are if you don't. Call your local dealer and explain the problem and see what it would cost to diagnose the problem. May be a lot cheaper for you to do that than to spend a few hundred (or thousand bucks) chasing the wrong problem as I did.

My FICM was $1300 (It requires programming) and a new wiring harness plus labor cost me a total of $1700 to install.

Thanks for that.....it does start but it's really rough.....then after about 5-10 minutes of ideling...it runs like a dream....I'm gonna start really working on stuff like this...I have 122k miles so I'm gonna be loving this site!
Old 03-14-2010, 01:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptChaos View Post

Did you do all that work at the dealership before finding the real problem or just throw parts at it before going to the dealer and getting his learned expertise?

Truck Pictorials on Facebook. Google - Facebook TooManyToys

Step Lights;Painted Flanges; Bypass Oil Filter; Heated Mirror Switch; Reverse Lights; 7.3L Fuel Reg Shim; 6 Disc Radio Speed Volume Mod; Coolant Filter, etc.
FMTRVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2010, 02:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by COATED View Post
Thanks for that.....it does start but it's really rough.....then after about 5-10 minutes of ideling...it runs like a dream....I'm gonna start really working on stuff like this...I have 122k miles so I'm gonna be loving this site!
sound like you have a couple of injector spools sticking while its cold do a search on hot shots secret that may take care of your problem it has made mine a lot better
JOHN 3:16
timbo2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2010, 06:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

could be injector stiction which would improve as the oil warmed up and started flowing freely.(the snake oil might help, seems to for some others) the other possibility is a weak/failing FICM which has reduced voltage enough to cause the spool to function slowly and erraticly. do a search here in the diesel section for FICM and you'll get excellent information on how to test it(basic voltmeter) and how to fix it (good steady hand and a fine tip soldering iron)
nitrogen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2010, 02:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

FICM Threads:
Testing your FICM - easy procedure. - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
How to Fix Your FICM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
FICM Soldered / Cold Start issue resolved

Basically, to test your FICM, hook up the ground of a DMM to your negative battery and put the positive probe on the correct FICM screw as shown in the above threads. If you don't have 45-48volts during all tests, your FICM is suspect. Then its just a matter of deciding whether to try the soldering fix or to just replace it.

Last edited by w_huisman; 03-16-2010 at 02:53 PM.
w_huisman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2010, 03:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

I'm having the same prob with my 06 6.0 its in the shop now getting injectors, the ford dealer told me it was the FICM but i tested it, it was good, so i went to Liberator performance in Carlisle PA they said without a doubt it was at least one bad injector. so i would say its an injector problem not the FICM.
2006 F 250 SUPERDUTY 6 INCH LIFT, 37'S, 5 INCH EXHAUST, LIBERATOR TUNED SCT, LIBERATOR O-RING HEADS, LIBERATOR EGR DELETE, LIBERATOR STAGE 1 TURBO, APR STUDS, SOUTHBEND CLUTCH, PRO COMP TRACTION BARS....AND A 6 INCH TIP
Dean
dlipscomb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2010, 10:27 AM   #11 (permalink)

Well I took it to a friends 'friend' who is a deisel mechanic for a pretty large company..make a long story short he hooked up his diagnostic computer and it thru a code which I think the #was 611....which said it was the FICM. That was yesterday morning. Today on my way to work; after I let my truck warm up, about 15 miles of driving the check engine light came on. During my whole problem, this is the first time the engine light came on. I made it to work and hopefully I'll make it home. Now I have to really roll up my sleeves or pay someone else to, to find out what's wrong. If it is the FICM it's a bummer...these things are pricey....

Are Ford dealers the only place you can go to, to get a new one?

Thanks for all your help guys...
Old 03-18-2010, 10:39 AM   #12 (permalink)

Take a look at post #9 again. You may be able to repair the FICM yourself for pennies. You can also buy a used one (assuming it's good), have it repaired at Swamps for $300 or so, or buy at the dealer.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:53 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylyon View Post
Take a look at post #9 again. You may be able to repair the FICM yourself for pennies. You can also buy a used one (assuming it's good), have it repaired at Swamps for $300 or so, or buy at the dealer.
Thx nylyon...I just finished reading that entire thread. You can guess what I'm going to be doing this weekend...
Old 03-18-2010, 10:56 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylyon View Post
You can buy a HEAVY DUTY REBUILT FICM from Swamps for $350, and they're not hard to install yourself, if you're not under Ford's factory warranty.

1. Drain enough coolant out of the radiator drain plug into a bucket to empty the degas bottle.

2. Remove the degas bottle. Two small hoses on top, a bigger hose on the bottom, and two bolts holding it to the fire wall.

3. Remove the four nuts/bolts holding the FICM to the mounting brackets.

4. Unplug the three connectors on the bottom of the FICM.

5. Install the new one in reverse order.
w_huisman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2010, 11:09 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by w_huisman View Post
You can buy a HEAVY DUTY REBUILT FICM from Swamps for $350, and they're not hard to install yourself, if you're not under Ford's factory warranty.

1. Drain enough coolant out of the radiator drain plug into a bucket to empty the degas bottle.

2. Remove the degas bottle. Two small hoses on top, a bigger hose on the bottom, and two bolts holding it to the fire wall.

3. Remove the four nuts/bolts holding the FICM to the mounting brackets.

4. Unplug the three connectors on the bottom of the FICM.

5. Install the new one in reverse order.
w_huisman....couple stupid questions..

1. How do you know if you need the 48v or the 58v?

2. If you buy these rebuilt ones; after you install it do you need to take the truck to a dealer to have them flashed/programmed?

3. what is the degas bottle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.