FICM replaced but???? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 03:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
FICM replaced but????

I was having cold start problems with some smoke, but once warmed up ran fine. Based on my research I believed it was the FICM..got it rebuilt and installed...same problem but has gotten a little better???? Although temps. have not been too low lately. I changed the fuel filters no H2O/oil change just thinking that might have something to do with my problem...Didn't help. My mechanic thinks an injector could be sticking..I use Diesel Kleen and Justice fuel additives ever other fill up.
My truck is a 2005 F250 6.0 with 120,000 miles on the clock..
I'm at a dead end..Don't know what to look for..
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Larry

SOLD: 2001 F250 7.3 PSD Lariat 90,000.
2005 F250 6.0 PSD Lariat 120,000.

528i Bimmer-5 speed
911 Porsche factory wide body

Last edited by wingfoot; 12-24-2012 at 05:01 PM.
wingfoot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Larry, something you can try. Remove and clean the EGR valve. Also , Individually charge and load test both batteries/ Also alternator too...Do a search here on the forum on how to clean it. It will save you a lot of grief if you get a flat flange tool (nail puller works great) it will lift right out...No codes? Merry Christmas!...Bill
03 F-250 CC LB XLT 3:73 rear/ almost stock/ early build/ 78,000 miles...03 F-250 ext cab Lariat Fx4 SB 3:73's /stock/187,000 all original injectors...FICM by Ed @FICM.COM / ScanGuage 2 monitoring the vitals...

Last edited by 03powerstrokeuser; 12-24-2012 at 08:05 PM. Reason: add ques.
03powerstrokeuser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 08:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

I would switch to full synthetic oil and a double shot of Rev. My be spendy but a lot cheaper than new injectors. Not a fix but will buy u time.

05 f350 crew long lariat.
4" turbo back magna flow
S&b intake
2.5 leveling kit
325/65 18 bfg ats
Dual flux capacitor
Egr deleted
SCT custom tunes
New ficm & interstates
brand new bulletbroof motor by DFC
ARP head studs
Edge cs guages
And some fancy floor mats
Phil A. Bowl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 08:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

You don't show the fuel pressure spring upgrade, mandatory for our trucks. An OBDII daa reader gauge ( scangauge II) to monitor FICM voltage is important. Our trucks need fuel pressure and FICM voltage to run, so I like to see them every day.

Brian
MC5C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 10:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Remove the EGR valve and get a short drinking glass (burbon glass). It would be only a little taller than the stalk of the EGR valve with a diameter that would allow the EGR valve to sit atop the glass and the stalk extend down into the glass. With the EGR valve sitting atop the glass, fill the glass with Seafoam diesel fuel injector cleaner or a solven of your choice. Allow the valve to soak for a couple of hours and if really crudded up, take a tooth brush and brush the stalk to remove as much crude as possible. At this time, also move the valve up and down and keep the valve open by placing a rubber o-ring in the gap. Put it back in the soak for a while longer. DO NOT ALLOW THE CLEANER TO GET IN THE TOP OF THE EGR VALVE AS IT WILL RUIN THE ELCTRONICS.

I let mine soak for a few days while I continued to work on other things. Make sure that you have a new FORD O-ring set for the EGR valve. Look into the intake while the EGR valve is out and see if the intake is cruded up as well. There is not much that you can do at this point unless you are will to remove the intake and have it boiled out. If it is really crudded up I would consider boiling the intake. I had mine boiled out while I replaced the oil and EGR coolers.

The Blue Spring mod is a must to allow enough fuel to be provided to the injectors. It is a very simple process to change the spring. OH YEA, I HAVE AN EXTRA BLUE SPRING KIT FOR SALE. I replaced my blue spring with parts from friends but had ordered a kit from FORD that I felt obligated to buy since they ordered it for me.

I have a ScanGaugeII which helps me monitor such things as FICM Voltage and Injection Pressure. Unless you have the proper fuel pressure and electrical supply, then you will have problems. Sounds like you have fixed the FICM already? What did you have done to the FICM? It should have been resoldered and all components that did not meet new specifications should have been replaced as a minimum. If Ed did the repair, it was done correctly.

Also remove all battery cables and clean them to bare metal as well as clean the battery post. I use a dremmel with a small wire brush to clean the cables and a post cleaner to clean the battery post. I have found that electrical gremlins are hard to track down and both times, my gremlins were dirty terminals and post.

I would also have the batteries removed from the truck and load tested individually at a parts house. Weak batteries can cause numerous problems.

I also condone the use of a synthetic 5W40 oil as it helps the injectors especially during cold times. My change to Synthetic Rotella just 3500 miles ago has seen a noticeable change in first starts on the cold mornings. I proabably will consider going 7500 miles on changes depending on the level of driving. Ford recommends 7500 mile intervals. I go 10,000 miles intervals on my other diesel vehicles using synthetic oils.

AIRAID 4" straight No CAT No MUFF
Nitto Terra Grapplers All Terrain LT285/75R16 10 PR Everything else pretty much stock
NEW Ranchos installed 8/15/2010

WORK IN PROGRESS - R&R EGR COOLER, OIL COOLER, THERMOSTAT, TURBO BOLTS, GASKETS, ORINGS, and adding a COOLANT FILTER WITH NEW COOLANT AND FLUSH
Anyone Got Birds? Will Travel to Hunt!

We are all just Village Idiots,
Enamoured with our own shadow,
Oblivious to the setting sun!

Last edited by Iam4MSU; 12-24-2012 at 11:58 PM.
Iam4MSU is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 11:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

FICM power supply issues and sticking spool valves on injectors have identical symptoms. FICM caused misfires in the early stages will go away more quickly in my experience.
Your FICM repair was not a wasted effort. You have now repaired it before it failed and fail was assured in time. Now its injector time or live with it longer.
Synthetic oil and specialized oil additives have some success but you will only know if it is successful by trial.
36 feet on the floor Elite/Outlaw LQ horse trailer.
36 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer.
36 foot Sooner 6 horse large dressing/ mid tack.
2003 EB Expedition 149K (no engine repairs, gas burners are the new longevity leaders)
2004 Volvo V70R AWD-high miler in fleet, 215K (no engine repairs)
2007 BMW 550i 6MT 112K
jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 02:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks guys for all the GREAT replies...I'm going to see my buddy that works for a large Ford dealer...He does work on the side and he'll scope and check any thrown codes..gotta leave it over night though so he can get a cold start..

Thanks again to all..

BTW, to "Iam4MSU....HAILSTATE!

528i Bimmer-5 speed
Old 12-25-2012, 11:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingfoot View Post
Thanks again to all..

BTW, to "Iam4MSU....HAILSTATE!
Wingfoot,

GO DAWGS!!!!!!!!

Merry CHRISTmas and Happy New Year!

AIRAID 4" straight No CAT No MUFF
Nitto Terra Grapplers All Terrain LT285/75R16 10 PR Everything else pretty much stock
NEW Ranchos installed 8/15/2010

WORK IN PROGRESS - R&R EGR COOLER, OIL COOLER, THERMOSTAT, TURBO BOLTS, GASKETS, ORINGS, and adding a COOLANT FILTER WITH NEW COOLANT AND FLUSH
Anyone Got Birds? Will Travel to Hunt!

We are all just Village Idiots,
Enamoured with our own shadow,
Oblivious to the setting sun!
Iam4MSU is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 07:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingfoot View Post
Thanks guys for all the GREAT replies...I'm going to see my buddy that works for a large Ford dealer...He does work on the side and he'll scope and check any thrown codes..gotta leave it over night though so he can get a cold start..
What was the outcome?
snakeyezzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 09:58 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeyezzz View Post
What was the outcome?
Traded the 05' for a new 2012 F350 PSD...that got rid of my problems..LOL

Larry

528i Bimmer-5 speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.