FICM Voltage - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2010, 04:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
FICM Voltage

In reading some of the posts in regards to ficm voltage and when you should take it I am a little confused........ I pulled the cover off of my FICM and checked the voltage on the screw closest to the driver fender key on engine off and it read 48.3v. The even goofier thing is my edge attitude with juice is throwing a low FICM voltage code P0672 i believe.
Should you check the voltage key on engine off or engine on???? Some people say they are checking it WOT? Is this with a programmer?????
I love my PSD SD but sometimes it makes me wanna bang my head against the wall.

Any help or suggestions would be awesome.
Thanks all!!!!
Torey

2005 F350, 3" lift, 35" TOYO MT's, Edge Juice with attitude, DieselSite coolant filter, K&N intake and killer sound.

Last edited by mittto; 02-23-2010 at 04:13 PM. Reason: truck spec's
mittto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2010, 05:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

48 volts sounds right. That part of the reason these things are so failure prone is that they are stepping 14v up to 48v. I believe that you have top have the key on to energize the circuit. You could always try it will the key off and see if you still get voltage.

Just because you have a low voltage code doesn't mean the FICM is getting low voltage. It means that the ECM is seeing low voltage on its end. It's entirely possible that the problem is in the wiring between the FICM and the ECM.
'06 F250 4x4 - 5" Flo Pro exhaust, SB Filter intake, Accufab elbow, Edge Evolution (monitoring only), SCT w/ ID custom tune, FASS 195 pump, Gillette Diesel EGR cooler delete, Sinister Diesel coolant filter, ELC coolant, updated turbo drain tube/oil feed line/STC fitting/oil cooler, ARPs w/OEM HGs, Elite coolant lines, ITP RR fuel system, Warren Diesel 175cc injectors, Powermax, BD CCV, FICM.com FICM w/ ID tune, Elite UP, BPD water pump - 13.069 @ 101.94

'02 WRX - Outback rear disc swap, EBC green pads, DBA pillar vane rotors, TXS UP/TBE/TMIC, Perrin LW crank pulley, PPG billet steel shift forks, ACT Streetlite flywheel & clutch, K&N filter, STi Group N motor/trans mounts, TiC/Kartboy rear diff mounts/subframe lock bolts/outrigger stiffeners, Kartboy SS & all shifter bushings, custom PDX tune for Cobb AP - went 14.1 on a terrible 60ft before most of these mods; shooting for 13.50s
TKOPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2010, 05:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Key on, engine off (KOEO), the voltage should never drop below 46volts. If it does, your FICM is failing.
2003 Toreador Red/Arizona Beige CC, DRW, Lariat, FX4, 6.0 PSD, Torqshift, born early Feb. 03; AIC; Silverline turbo-back dual exhaust; 155cc injectors from Full Force Diesel (Casserly); SCT with tuning by Tony Wildman (Total Diesel Performance) & Innovative Diesel; ARP studs; Dfuser regulated return; AFE PG7; Fumoto valve; B&W hitch, Di-Pricol gauges; DIESELSITE Coolant filter; Timbrens; Rancho RSXs; Michelin XPS Traction's; a whole bunch of "bling"; Connex 4300hp; Pioneer DEH6100BT; JL Audio 275w amp driving a 12" sub; JL Audio 50wx4 amp driving the Alpine door and rear seat speakers. 380.3hp/786.7ft-lbs (on my tow tune!)

pics

SLAPS President and Webmaster
teamroper60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2010, 06:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Try it with the engine on and COLD. This will put a load on the FICM and give you a better indication of whats going on.
desertt5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2010, 07:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Desertt5,
engine @ an idle or a little throttle?

'05 F350 CC LB Lariat 3.73's
DieselSite Coolant filter
K&N Intake
Accufab Intake Elbow
FoMoCo Updated regulator spring
4" MBRP Turbo Back
Edge Juice W/Attitude
Isspro F/P and Tranny temp gauge
35" Toyo MT's
Bushwacker "Extend-A-Fender" flares "Thanks to Matt and the Bushwacker crew!!" Painted to match by my good friend Brandon @ Sandy AutoBody.
Firestone Ride-Rite air bags
Mag-Hytec Diff covers
Killer Sound System
BulletProof EGR cooler, new factory oil cooler, ARP Headstuds, factory HG's, STC fitting update, Updated Turbo drain pipe, Turbo rebuild, Injectors tested and new o-rings, all @ 109K.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (11)
I'm really green on this , how about some step by step with photos for some of us goons with volt meters ? Larry
'04 6.0 F-350 Red, Lariat, CC SB 4x4,power roof & rear slider,K&N ,new 33-12.50-18 nitto MUDs on rockstars wheels , 08 alum. diff cover, SnoPatrol package, Sinister EGR delete , one piece driveshaft, dynatrac free spin kit
ttmech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2010, 08:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Getting 48 volts with the engine running is no guarantee the FICM is not failing. As I said just a couple of posts up, you need to test it with the key on and engine off. That test should be done with the engine cold (as in, having set overnight).
2003 Toreador Red/Arizona Beige CC, DRW, Lariat, FX4, 6.0 PSD, Torqshift, born early Feb. 03; AIC; Silverline turbo-back dual exhaust; 155cc injectors from Full Force Diesel (Casserly); SCT with tuning by Tony Wildman (Total Diesel Performance) & Innovative Diesel; ARP studs; Dfuser regulated return; AFE PG7; Fumoto valve; B&W hitch, Di-Pricol gauges; DIESELSITE Coolant filter; Timbrens; Rancho RSXs; Michelin XPS Traction's; a whole bunch of "bling"; Connex 4300hp; Pioneer DEH6100BT; JL Audio 275w amp driving a 12" sub; JL Audio 50wx4 amp driving the Alpine door and rear seat speakers. 380.3hp/786.7ft-lbs (on my tow tune!)

pics

Old 02-23-2010, 08:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttmech View Post
I'm really green on this , how about some step by step with photos for some of us goons with volt meters ? Larry
Larry,

Do you have a 7-pin or a 4-pin FICM?? On the 4-pin, you need to test the far right pin. On the 7-pin, you test the far left on the row of 4. Be very careful to not touch the case!! Doing so will ruin the FICM and might well kill you too.

pics

Last edited by teamroper60; 02-23-2010 at 08:55 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Really green, can you tell buy looking at it or do yu have to open it ?
'04 6.0 F-350 Red, Lariat, CC SB 4x4,power roof & rear slider,K&N ,new 33-12.50-18 nitto MUDs on rockstars wheels , 08 alum. diff cover, SnoPatrol package, Sinister EGR delete , one piece driveshaft, dynatrac free spin kit
Old 02-23-2010, 10:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttmech View Post
Really green, can you tell buy looking at it or do yu have to open it ?
You are going to have to remove the small cover on the top of the FICM.

BTW, no offense intended but if you are as "green" as you say you are, I would suggest doing a search for the testing process and read up on it before you try it for yourself...

pics

Last edited by teamroper60; 02-23-2010 at 10:12 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:52 AM   #11 (permalink)

Thanks teamroper, i am treading in uncharted waters, I'm just looking for more detail on testing and not coming up with even how to begin , I've got some time today and will search a bit more , Thanks Larry/ P.S no offense taken
Old 02-24-2010, 09:34 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamroper60 View Post
Getting 48 volts with the engine running is no guarantee the FICM is not failing. As I said just a couple of posts up, you need to test it with the key on and engine off. That test should be done with the engine cold (as in, having set overnight).
Just curious, why would you not want to test it with the engine on also? This will put a load on the circuits and give you an idea of how it performs. My FICM read 47V with the key on engine off. With the engine started it would drop to 26V when the engine was cold.

Of course this testing is no guarantee the FICM is good, but it is an effective way to find a possibly bad FICM without the use of other testers.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:32 PM   #13 (permalink)

Sorry to steal the thread, just pulled vltage and it reads 50.2 V, so ficm is good but still hasthe cold start issue that resembles what you guys are describing , chugs at first start up even in heated garage and the straightens out and when warm runs like a swiss watch , what gives ? and the chug atstart up is like after changing fuel filters , and this is new ,just started a week ago , Thanks for all the help prior , Larry
Old 02-24-2010, 04:25 PM   #14 (permalink)

I tested it dead cold, key on engine off and came up with 48.3v. But like I said in the original post I have seen where some people say do it with the engine running??????????
I know I do need to check my FP and make sure that it is where it needs to be.

'05 F350 CC LB Lariat 3.73's
DieselSite Coolant filter
K&N Intake
Accufab Intake Elbow
FoMoCo Updated regulator spring
4" MBRP Turbo Back
Edge Juice W/Attitude
Isspro F/P and Tranny temp gauge
35" Toyo MT's
Bushwacker "Extend-A-Fender" flares "Thanks to Matt and the Bushwacker crew!!" Painted to match by my good friend Brandon @ Sandy AutoBody.
Firestone Ride-Rite air bags
Mag-Hytec Diff covers
Killer Sound System
BulletProof EGR cooler, new factory oil cooler, ARP Headstuds, factory HG's, STC fitting update, Updated Turbo drain pipe, Turbo rebuild, Injectors tested and new o-rings, all @ 109K.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:00 AM   #15 (permalink)

Check it with the engine on also. You CANNOT hurt it by taking voltage readings.... as long as you are careful not to short it against case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.