Filter minder "fell off" - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2006, 03:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Filter minder "fell off"

Just did my fuel filter manint at 15,000. After tightening up the cap on the underhood filter I was going to open up the air filter and give it a look over to see how much dirt had accumulated.

That's when I noticed the filter minder out of it's grommet laying in the engine compartment. Any clues as to how this could happen? It was fine last time I looked things over about a month ago. It's was a farily tight fit going back in and takes quite a bit of force to remove it.

How much, if any, damage do you think could have happened to the turbo during this time? Also, would you take it in and explain to the dealer what you found so that down the road, should there be a turbo problem, it's documented? I can just see having a problem and upon finding impingement on the turbine, they accuse me of improper maintenance or use of an aftermarket intake.
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2006, 04:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Filter minder "fell off"

My first thought when I read your post why did you remove it in the first place, [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
I`m sure you have dirt in there now,and the only way to find out is to remove the complete intake from the filter to the turbo intake and clean it up.
I have not removed mine in 3 1/2 years and I`m using aFe 1 and cleaning the filter every 4K,there is no need to remove the filter minder.
And yes if a problem happens the first thing Ford will blame is the airfilter,I would invest or if you kept the stock to put it in when you go to the dealer.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

I think you misunderstood. I've never intentionally removed the filter minder.

I found it laying in the engine compartment after my fuel filter change. It came out of the grommet all on it's own. After pushing it back in place, I then removed it (intentionally this time) to gauge how much force it took for it to come out. I wanted to make sure it was a tight fit, and that I wasn't going to find it laying in the engine compartment next time I lifted the hood.

The only thing I can figure is that it was not completely inserted from the factory. Although, I've looked at it pretty closely in the past and could swear it was fully inserted prior to me finding it disconnected.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (38)

Have you had any warranty work done to your truck? I hate to admit it, but I've left the filter minder off before. I had a truck in that needed the STC fitting and bracket, did the repair, left the filter minder out, and later put an oil cooler in it and found my mistake...
Old 10-10-2006, 06:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

Mine blew apart and fell out, that seems to have been a common problem early on. (My truck just took 4 years to do it!) I wonder if sometimes they blow out without exploding. (Replaced under warranty.)

Duncan
The 6.0L Bible: Web page
The 6.4L Bible: Web page
frobozz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2006, 09:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

I haven't had any work done on the truck since the last time I remember seeing it in it's proper place.

Is there something that could have happened during normal operation that would cause it to blow out of the grommet? Like I said, it's not loose and I don't think it could have just vibrated out.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:37 AM   #7 (permalink)

My 03 blew in half and out of the grommet at about 3,000. Never found out why. But as to date the score is Filter Minder..1 Turbo..3
if I were keeping track.
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2006, 10:08 AM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

I'm gonna go out on a limb here...have you been experiencing what we call "Turbo Farts"...could it have "blown" out?...just a thought [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

SOLD: 2001 F250 7.3 PSD Lariat 90,000.
2005 F250 6.0 PSD Lariat 120,000.

528i Bimmer-5 speed
911 Porsche factory wide body
wingfoot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2006, 10:26 AM   #9 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
I'm gonna go out on a limb here...have you been experiencing what we call "Turbo Farts"...could it have "blown" out?...just a thought [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Was thinking the same thing......
Aluminess Front/Rear Bumpers.
125W Solar Panel.
Sportsmobile Trailer on 285/75R16 BFG AT/KO tires w/ dual deep cycle marine batteries, water pump, 10 gal water storage, air compressor, storage box & 15W Solar Panel.
SnowMan Mod / Door Seal Mod
"Blue Spring" Upgrade
ridintall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2006, 10:32 AM   #10 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
I'm gonna go out on a limb here...have you been experiencing what we call "Turbo Farts"...could it have "blown" out?...just a thought

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo. Without getting into all the technical reasons as to why/how, those "farts" are the result of air moving backwards through the intake tract. It's possible for that air pressure to have blown out the filter minder if it wasn't firmly seated.

- Jay
Diesel Jay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2006, 12:55 PM   #11 (permalink)

My 03 blew apart also, while on a long trip (no dealers around) so I covered up the hole until I could get a new one.
Oil & egr cooler finally died at 220K
Scot06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2006, 01:23 PM   #12 (permalink)

I've heard nothing out of the ordinary at any time. But, that would be the only logical explanation I guess. And all it would take is one time to blow it out.

I'll pull the intake tract at the next avail opportunity and see how much contamination got into the system. That might give me some idea how long it was out and what damage might have been done.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:19 PM   #13 (permalink)

Probl no damage ..

BUT speaking of the filter minder........ I HAVE NEVER EVER SEEN ONE INDICATE ANYTHING !!! EVER. I think Ford puts then in there so we think we have a big rig or heavy equipment or something.
just an observation, 24hrsparkey
24hrsparkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2006, 06:57 AM   #14 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Probl no damage ..

BUT speaking of the filter minder........ I HAVE NEVER EVER SEEN ONE INDICATE ANYTHING !!! EVER. I think Ford puts then in there so we think we have a big rig or heavy equipment or something.
just an observation, 24hrsparkey

[/ QUOTE ]

That, or everyone just changes their filters wayyyyyyy too early. A dirty-looking filter may still be flowing tons of air.

Duncan
The 6.0L Bible: Web page
The 6.4L Bible: Web page
frobozz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2006, 08:35 AM   #15 (permalink)

good point. Still i've never seen it move any !!
take care, spark
24hrsparkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.