Ford 6.0 High boost but no power (Problems) - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2007, 09:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ford 6.0 High boost but no power (Problems)

I have a problem with my Ford 6.0 Diesel motorhome. Every time I take it out after storing for a few weeks I have no power. I installed a boost gauge and I get 35lbs of boost but no power and when I let off the throttle it farts out the intake all the extra pressure. Then after running it for 20 minutes I then get great power but the power lags for 5 to 10 seconds until the RPM come up. If I hold the brake and floor it I get no boost. After all this then it starts to run fine until stored again. Also when I have no power but lots of boost I can rev the motor to 2000 rpm and get 10 lbs of boost while in neutral. Can anybody shed some light on what might be wrong. This must happen to others and I'm concerned I may get stuck some day.

Note: No check engine lights come on.
dcomrie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2007, 09:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Ford 6.0 power problems

35 psi is wayyyyy too much boost, your gauge is most likely wrong. By you stating that you store it for a few weeks that automatically tells me the turbocharger is most likely rusted up. 6.0's need to be driven frequenty and hard in order to work properly.
Gofaster23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2007, 10:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yes 35 is quite high, normally the gauge reads about 28 to 30 under full load. Also note I have a 50 HP upgrade from Quadzilla in the 6.0 ford. I understand storage is part of the cause but is it the turbo sticking or maybe the EGR valve sticking. My 7.3 Excursion sits for months at a time without any problems (But it doesn't have a variable pitch turbo).
Old 07-12-2007, 10:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Sounds to me like it may be the VGT solenoid sticking. Mine did it and kept blowing the intercooler boots off. Ford said it was sticking and causing too much boost. They replaced it and 600 miles later the turbo was no good. It may be a combo of both. Good luck and let us know the outcome if you get it in for service.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds to me like it may be the VGT solenoid sticking. Mine did it and kept blowing the intercooler boots off. Ford said it was sticking and causing too much boost. They replaced it and 600 miles later the turbo was no good. It may be a combo of both. Good luck and let us know the outcome if you get it in for service.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like your turbo was bad from the get go. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]
2003 F-250SD XLT X-Cab short box March 03 6.0L Torque shift, manual 4x4 superwinch hubs, 121,000 miles,315/75/16 BF Goodrich mud terrains, autometer boost/fuel psi/tranny temp, AFE 4" straight pipe, tire clearance and guage photos
weasel79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2007, 10:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Kinda sounds like they diagnosed the solenoid, when it was really the turbo unison ring/vanes, rusted/sticking.

Glad it's fixed, regardless.

Take Care
Old 07-12-2007, 10:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks I will keep that in mind. I havn't sent it in for service due to the problem goes away after a while so the dealer has nothing to trouble shoot when I get there.

Im leaving for PA (Tower City Trail Riders) with my kids for the week end, pulling a loaded inclosed trailer so beating it is no problem.

April I traved 3600 miles pulling 6000 lbs which makes my rig about 20,000 lbs total.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:56 AM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (38)

Where did you install the boost gauge?
Old 07-13-2007, 06:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

What you're describing is exactly like a sticking turbo. I bragged recently that after towing and driving mine really hard it cleaned up nice and was much better especially on the high end, low speed driving was still a problem but not to the extreme. Well, it's back. Yesterday it hit 38psi when I stepped on it, not even WOT, and let it burp then got back on it and it took off like a scalded dog, at about 22 psi.

Low speed you'll feel what appears to be lag, but is either over boost (talking 8-10 psi vs 4-6 psi or something like that) that is not as noticeable. When mines not over boosting like that, it's running incredibly well.

"Treat me good, I'll treat you better; treat me bad, I'll treat you worse." - Sonny Barger
FamilyRide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2007, 10:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

I install a tee off of the factory pressure sensor up by the hood hinge on the passenger side (E-450 cutaway). Then ran the tubing accross the cowling over and into the driverside fire wall. I mounted the pressure gauge in PVC piping with the windshield side cut at an angle to match the windshield angle and placed it on the dashboard in the corner by the pillar post (Painted the PVC to match the dash). Functions great and looks great.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:03 PM   #11 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply, I'm not the only one. We cancel our trip for this weekend because I could not get the problem to go away. Ford service is in the future but first is the Bloomsburg 4 wheel Jamboree scheduled for Saturday in PA.

I drove the Motorhome for an hour with high boost without any change (local & Highway). then the boost dropped to 0 and then the boost came up only after I reached 3500 RPM but only 10 to 15 PSI. Good thing is it is broken and easer to trouble shoot.

Monday I will schedule service.

I will keep you in touch.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:54 AM   #12 (permalink)

Re: Ford 6.0 High boost but no power (Problems)

Back from service with a new turbo and EGR valve. Thay wrote the system logged two codes P0404 & P0299. The replacement of the EGR got rid of the P0404 and the turbo stop the P0299. Technician wrote the inside of the turbo is full of rust. Since this is a motor home it is stored alot, what can I do to stop it from rusting during storage.

While in for service thay perform two recalls 05E15 and 59B01 and a sensor replacement #5C3Z-9J460-b (Sensor 301875). Anybody know what is performed during these recalls.

Thanks
Old 09-15-2011, 09:09 AM   #13 (permalink)

Question:

I just completed a huge upgrade to my 05 6.0. EGR delete, Powermax Turbo, Arp studs, Air Dog II. free flowing exhaust, Banks Big Hoss Bundle w/o the Banks Tuner, bi-pass oiling system, new stock injectors, Sct Tuner Everything that you guys told me...I did.

I got a Custom Tune on the SCT... I had more power before the upgrades. With the stock engine Banks Big Hoss Bundle and tuners, this truck would ignite the tires and go sideways under power....now it just squats belches black smoke then takes off. Mid range is good and the truck is responsive when it gets rolling

What wrong, this thing should SCREAM out of the gates. I can't help but think its Tune Problem, Vivian says she thinks it a Tune Problem and I might go with her Looney Wild tunes.

Its really dissappointing after all that money AND it was all done at the Dealership by a Certified Diesel Mechanic.

Any suggestions ?
Thorn11acr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.