FORD DIESEL FUEL TANK DELAMINATION NEED HELP - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: how successfull was the repairs for this problem
none 0 0%
none 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2011, 04:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
FORD DIESEL FUEL TANK DELAMINATION NEED HELP

I have a 2006 ford f350 super duty diesel truck with 11, 400 miles on it and the truck was unable to go past 40 miles per hour. took it to the ford dealership , to find out that the fuel tank delaminated and the repair bill would be 7,000.00 dollars. i almost passed out... the service dept person told me i used the wrong diesel fuel , wrong ? never ever used additives or any bio fuel . need to ask for help , i see other posting with similiar or same issue , did any body get any assistance or help with the repairs from ford company? if anyone has any info please can you share it. This problem does not exist in any other trucks such as chevy or international trucks.

Last edited by Dick Cutting; 01-16-2011 at 08:26 AM.
walterwilliam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2011, 06:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

see this post pop up all over the place

it's a cab chassis problem , not a lot of the pickup guys have a steel tank
the coating sucked .. many get it cleaned out and use a coating
O6 King Ranch cc sb 4 inch lift ,35 Pro Comp,Helo’s Edge Insight CTS guage only , Auber EGT , o8 center console ,2x10 subs, xm satellite ,coolant filter,RSX 9000 shocks,dual bilstein steering stabilizers ,Viper , remote toolbox popper, High Idle mod , up fitters added ,weather guard mats , ARP's, BPD EGR cooler, Marinco Mod ,Zoodad waste Fabtech traction bars, Some other stuff
ZMANN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2011, 09:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to novimustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by walterwilliam View Post
i guess ford truck are not as tough as they claim, thanks
Good luck with your problem, but let's be realistic. Machines break down. All of them. Even these nice big expensive Ford trucks, along with their Dodge and Chevy counterparts. The sooner you learn to accept that, the better off you'll be with whatever kind of truck you decide on.
|1995 Mustang GT 5.0
|1994 Mustang GT 5.0
novimustang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2011, 10:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by novimustang View Post
Good luck with your problem, but let's be realistic. Machines break down. All of them. Even these nice big expensive Ford trucks, along with their Dodge and Chevy counterparts. The sooner you learn to accept that, the better off you'll be with whatever kind of truck you decide on.

Yea thats all well and good, but this delamination problem is totally unacceptable on a 5 year old truck. I can't help the OP but in no way would I deem this and acceptable "break down". Good luck to the OP.

Bill
Old 01-15-2011, 05:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by novimustang View Post
5 yrs old, max, 11,400 miles....
--==Really???==--

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69ttop502 View Post
Yea thats all well and good, but this delamination problem is totally unacceptable on a 5 year old truck. I can't help the OP but in no way would I deem this and acceptable "break down". Good luck to the OP.

Bill
Totally agreed.
andrewbalser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2011, 10:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to novimustang
Oh I'm not saying it isn't unacceptable, my only point was, or was intended to be, that it has nothing to do with Ford. Don't tell me there aren't cases of "unacceptable" low mileage failures on Chevys and Dodges (and everything else) too.
|1995 Mustang GT 5.0
|1994 Mustang GT 5.0
novimustang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2011, 05:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
OT

My Photos: (8)
WW..Have u tried search box "fuel tank delamination"? Also Ford Diesel Fuel Tank

FWIW..I recall reports back in 09. One probably had better chance of getting fixed under 3/36mo. but, claiming fuel related=grey area. What are your options at this time if u want to keep this truck? For argument sake my guess is YOU pay to get it fixed & get er back OTR again. I agree its a lousey $$$ situation. Good luck!
Old 01-16-2011, 07:52 AM   #8 (permalink)

Aren't the fuel tanks plastic? I believe my '04 is? What I would do? Drain fuel, clean HFCM, replace fuel filters, blow back fuel line to tank. Replace tank. Cost, under $1000, (dealer) under $500 (yourself). Realistically, I don't see how they could come ANYWHERE near that cost for a tank replacement.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:01 AM   #9 (permalink)

What a bunch of azz holes answering something they know nothing about ! The 40 gallon tanks that are mounted on the cab and chassis trucks behind the rear axle are metal and they ALL delaminate sucking the lining or rust depending on the year thru the fuel pump thru the filters and into the injectors. The fuel pump will burn up once the screens are clogged and the fuel filters are to large of a micron to catch all the pieces so they go thru to the injectors. It will trash the injectors on a 6.0 but the 7.3 could go either way. Most of the time Ford will not help out on these tanks ! They will start off saying that you ran bio fuel thru them and the tank only has a b 10 rating stating that the bio fuel has caused the seperation. Make sure you get a fuel sample before your truck goes into the shop. Even the rerplacement tanks without the liner are prone to rusting along with the filler tubes on all the trucks. Or pull your drain plug from your frame mounted fillter housing and see how much of the plug has been eatin away. Ford knows all about this crap and will not stand behind it . You can not even get an answer from Ford on the tanks in the 2011 trucks which is why we statred buying Duramax trucks now ! Now there latest thing is to tell you that the fuel tank must be left full or the vapors will rust the top of the tank out causing rust to do the same thing . Thru the filter to the injectors and if the injectors pass this where does it go ???? Ford will get you for a new tank , fuel pump, back flush the injection system and new injectors. Show me where any other truck manufactor is having this same problem ??? Your diesel tank goes bad from putting diesel in it ! How is the for qaulity is job one ? Any machine can have problems , its how the company stands behind them. Ford wont so after buying a truck per year from them we are done !
marek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.