Front Axle Seal Replacement - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2011, 07:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Front Axle Seal Replacement

I have oil leaking from the right and left sides of the front axle tubes. I have done a significant amount of research on this site but am lacking some info. First, the seals I need to replace are the ones installed from inside the pumpkin. This said, the concern I have is seating the seals from the inside. The Ford Dealer says there is a specific tool to install them. I did my 96 for monobeam and just tapped them in (like Happy Gilmore) without any issues. The tool I viewed online somewhere was like a section of all thread and two plates with some reverse thread devise so both seals went in at the same time. Am I okay to tap them in or do I need a tool?

I have seen a lot of good info on replacing the ball joints, etc. But I have not seen any detailed info on replacing these seals. Any help would be great.

Last, is there any issues with the serpentine belt? When do I replace it and where should I buy the belt?
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2011, 09:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to usmarshls
there are 2 sealsm and a dust seal. you have an 04 so im guessing yourdust seal is just hanging on the axle like all the rest. I would jet all my parts from FORD and get the new updated dust seal. you can rent tools at autozone if you need it. Oh and have FUN with the serp belt. thier is a reason Ford pays .9Hrs to install a serp belt on a diesel.....
Factory upfitter switches
rear seat cover "kids are a mess"
LED floor lighting front and rear.
LED lights in bed under rails.
MORE LEDs coming soon.

SOLD Goodbye my love
2005 F-350 King Ranch FX-4 CC long bed
2in level kit.airade intake with 4micron sock.superchips.sinister coolant filter.blue spring update.ranch hand wrench ready front bumperreplacement. installing glowshift gauges EGT,BOOST,TRANS TEMP,FUEL PSI. with quad gauge pod A-PILLAR.4IN turbo back cat delete

2004 F-250 V-10 -SOLD
1986 F-150 V-8 302CID first year of EFI -SOLD
1984 F-250 V-8 351CID Carb SOLD

In the Garage
1995 F-150, 460CID
2004 Expolrer 4.0L
usmarshls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2011, 05:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hope this can help. FRONT AXLE SEAL.pdf
lenzhotrod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2011, 12:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Those instructions are for the wheel. I need the info on installing inner seals on the axle at the pumpkin. they are accessed from the inside of the pumpkin. This means the gears and cover get removed to change the seals. Looking for detailed info on doing the job. Thanks.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

The serp belt was super easy. someone posted a way to do it. If your strong enough, pull up on the belt near the alt, then set the tensioner lock...remove belt, put new one on...15 min or so.
br8kitoff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.