Fuel Shut Off Switch Problems - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2008, 06:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel Shut Off Switch Problems

This will be the second fuel shot off switch malfunction ive had for two weeks. Apparently the switches keep going bad and its starting to wear on me because i keep getting stranded. it never shuts the fuel off when its running. but sometimes when i turn it off and leave for a couple hours it will start for a split second then shut down. i dont know if the wiring is bad or not, so the other day it did it to me again so i unplugged it and tied the wires together to bypass it. it worked. It made it one full day with the bypass now its doing it again even with the wires bypassed so i dont know what to think. ive got a edge chip in it but that shouldnt harm the fuel shut off right?
cashcochran is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2008, 08:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

I don't recall hearing anything about the Inertia Fuel Shutoff being faulty.
I would check pin fit. the chip should not have anything to do with it..

My site motoxfarms.com
born2ride is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2008, 10:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

when it did it before what the switch actually set off? was the little button popped up
96 PSD reg cab 4x4 auto 4.10 LS rear xlt. 4" superlift 35" BGF Muds on 16.5 mickey thompsons, dual stabilizers, 3" glass cowl hood, custom american patriot headlinner, Beans stage I's, TS Performance 6 pos. chip, SD HPOP, BB in fuel regulator, custom intake, 3" downpipe, 4" straight pipe exhaust and 5" tip. All aluminum radiator, 6.0 trans cooler. Banks pyro, trans temp and boost gauges on the pillar. TransGo shift kit, billet converter. 10" rear drup bumper, custom droped hitch receiver billet grille, custom front bumper with fog lights and billet grille, diamond cut headlights, clear corners and markers. Viair compressor, one gal. tank and dual air horns.
90 mustang 347 race car.

05 f250 red supercab 6.0, suncoast auto trans, 4x4, long bed fx4, grey interior. atc 275cc injectors, turbonetics ceramic coated 70mm turbo, head studs, aeromotive fuel system, sct with innovative tunes, dual 5" stacks.
fordboyyfm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2008, 01:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

the switch was down, it did not pop up. Im putting in a new switch today and if it trips it again and i cant get it to start then im getting a wiring diagram and finding the route of the wiring from the intertia switch to the actual fuel pump and im bypassing it. Should I? or just pay the money to find the problem. i dont know what to do..
Old 11-11-2008, 07:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

I hate the new style inertia switches with the rubber boot. I always swap them out with the old style ones without the boot. Never had a repeat issue.
alexb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2008, 08:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by born2ride View Post
the chip should not have anything to do with it..
???? Get the chip out of the picture first. If the concern still happens, nowe we can work with it....
GrampyJim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2008, 12:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrampyJim View Post
???? Get the chip out of the picture first. If the concern still happens, nowe we can work with it....

What would a chip have to do with a fuel cut off?

Do you need the diagram let me know.

My site motoxfarms.com
Old 11-12-2008, 08:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

yes a diagram would be great.. everybody keeps telling me trade my ford and the only reason im not is because of great people on this website like you who help me through these problems. i found out that the inertia switch is connected to FP sensor and then runs to the fuel pump which is called DFCM Mod. I dont know which fuel pump this is. So can anybody tell me what fuel pump this is that would be great.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

I dont see the year and model of truck..Can you supply me with it the I will get some pixs for you..

My site motoxfarms.com
Old 11-15-2008, 02:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

the truck is an 2004 6.0 f250. auto trans. ect
Old 11-15-2008, 07:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

We have no idea of what or how the switch is failing... Hell, we don't even know what year the truck is. Did we miss the OPs comment "now its doing it again even with the wires bypassed "?

The guys concern is that the truck wont start... I think that changing "the switch" is a red herring.... I rarely see bad IFS switches... this guy has a herd of them.... You do the math...

Yes, K..... I'm a bad boy....
GrampyJim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2008, 08:18 PM   #12 (permalink)

diagram
Attached Thumbnails
Fuel Shut Off Switch Problems-04-fuel1.jpg  

My site motoxfarms.com
Old 11-20-2008, 01:36 PM   #13 (permalink)

Thanks for the diagram. i look forward to sending it to my mechanic. Maybe he can figure it out cuz im completely clueless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.