fuel/water separator drain stuck - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2007, 03:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
fuel/water separator drain stuck

This is in my '04 6.0 Excursion, 4x4 of course to make it difficult to get too.
I haven't gotten the water in fuel light in years. It recently came on though. I went to drain the separator and the plug is stuck and the hex socket head rounded. Last time it came on I was getting ready to get an oil change so I asked them to drain it while they were down there. I'm guessing they used an incorrectly sized driver to remove and replace the plug and in the process messed it up.
Options?
I've tried other sizes of drivers hoping to get it to budge, but nothing. There really is only enough room to get an allen key in there with the driveshaft in place.
If there weren't fuel inside I would just weld a nut to the plug and back it out with a wrench, but I don't think its such a good idea.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Rob
'68 5.0L Bronco
robellis77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2007, 03:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
Re: fuel/water separator drain stuck

pick up a single 6 mm allen wrench and some JB weld, glue the single allen in the hole of the plug, reinforce with duct tape ect until it sets up, then remove the old plug, pick up the newer style plug that is extended out of the hole, there are many threads on here about it and the part #.

Good luck,!!
2004 F-250 Crew Cab XLT, Auto, Short Bed, Arizona Beige, Fx4/Camper Pkg., 265's, Built 4/23/04, Delivered 4/27/04
Retrax Bed Cover,Crimestopper Alarm/ Keyless Entry/ Remote Start/ Skweeker Idle Up Mod/ Marinco Built in Heater Plug/ Dieselsite coolant filter
My Truck

2004/1997 Powerstroke Pics, Ford 9N Tractor,6.0 Bible
dwelch1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2007, 03:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)

I have seen a thread within the last 2 weeks on this. Search or I am sure someone will respond. I can tell you that the plug you want to replace it with is from IH #2589259C91. More of a thumb screw...
Good luck
07(built 06/06) 6.0 Lariat/Moonroof/Camper Pkg/ FX4/DRW/5spd TS/13K GVWR/4.10LS/CC/LB/F350: Accufab Elbow/Mag-Hytec/AutoMeter Tripod(EGT/Trans/Diff)/Infinity Speakers/Kenwood DNX690HD Touchscreen/Kenwood 310 Backup Camera/Vipor 5704 w/Remote Smart Start w/508D Sensor/Zoodad/Fumoto Valve/IH-HFCM/Precision Grill/Special Edition UT Weatherguard Crossbox/Coolant ByPass Filter/MBRP 4" Duals/Coil-Rite 4160 Frontend/KYB Monoshocks/Thule 5 Bike Roof Rack/260k Miles...
bogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2007, 03:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

And don't reef on It is the o-ring that accomplishes the seal, not how many foot-pounds you torque it to.
Kentucky built 2004 Silver F-250 XL Reg Cab PSD, 4X2, bench cloth seat,air conditioning, 6 spd Manual, 3.73 LS,Line-X , FORD receiver, Prodigy brake controller,towing option,( put together on Monday, March 29, del April 9 2004) 62000 miles
ta152h0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2007, 04:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

Sorry, I searched and didn't come up with anything usefull or even close. For some reason the search engine on this forum never brings me anything usefull, unlike other forums.

I may try the JBweld. I tried it a number of years ago on a stuck recessed nut and didn't have any luck, but with a little patience that may just get this one out. Thanks

I will definitely get the thumb screw replacement plug
'68 5.0L Bronco
robellis77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2007, 06:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

The WIF light isn't to remind you there's water in your fuel and to drain it..... The goal is to drain the HFCM frequently enough to PREVENT it from coming on.

Take Care
Old 08-14-2007, 06:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

I am in the same boat as you. I am contemplating removing front drive shaft to allow more room, although I have never removed one before. Here is a link to a thread that I started a few weeks ago... look here

2003 F250 4x4 XLT Supercab SB 6.0L/TorqShift, FX4, Add On's: 285/75/16 BFG AT's, MBRP turbo back, Dieselsite coolant filter, Isspro gauges on the A-pilar, remote start, RhinoLiner, Prodigy, Husky floor liners, Husky mud flaps, Firestone Ride Rites #2071, fumoto valve, Weathertech Weatherflectors
maps6874 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2007, 06:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Drain monthly and they don't strip. Mine is steal maybe?

A 6" center punch on edge of plug on 45 degree counter clock wise will
take it out. No metal from drilling. Not a lot of room on 4x4.

I think ford should make this with 13mm bolt. Not a fan of brass plug.

BL
Old 08-14-2007, 10:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

Try this site,,,,it should have the part number you need...

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articl...icle-05-19.php

hope it works...the last one I bought from International was around 12 bucks....Ford wanted $25.oo the same part....Kevin

http://community.webshots.com/user/khitch710
khitch710 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2007, 01:30 AM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)

[ QUOTE ]
Last time it came on I was getting ready to get an oil change so I asked them to drain it while they were down there.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what caused your problem. That plug should never be tightened greater than "just snug". The o-ring is the seal, and if you get carried away torquing it down, you'll have problems later.

If it gets to the point you need to take the cover off to drill out the plug, make sure you get a gasket kit before you take it off. The old one is NOT reusable, and you will have problems if you try to reuse it.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:01 AM   #11 (permalink)

How is it so many people have a hard time getting an allen wrench into the plug? Sure the front drive shaft on mine is right there, but there is still plenty of room to get the short end of the wrench into the plug. Do some trucks have the drive shaft closer to the HFCM or vice versa??
Old 08-15-2007, 10:05 AM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

has anyone verified if the 2008 drain with lever is a fit for the 03-07's?
36 feet on the floor Elite/Outlaw LQ horse trailer.
36 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer.
36 foot Sooner 6 horse large dressing/ mid tack.
2003 EB Expedition 149K (no engine repairs, gas burners are the new longevity leaders)
2004 Volvo V70R AWD-high miler in fleet, 215K (no engine repairs)
2007 BMW 550i 6MT 112K
jimmy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2007, 10:38 AM   #13 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
has anyone verified if the 2008 drain with lever is a fit for the 03-07's?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a question I'd like to see answered! If the 2008 plug won't fit, then my question is, do I have to remove the front driveshaft to install the IH plug? I've had one I got from ITP rattling around in my glovebox for a while.

'06 F-350 CC, King Ranch, FX4, 6.0 PSD/TorqShift, Dually, 4.30 Gears, Tow Boss, Loaded, Ford Remote Start/Alarm, No Performance Mods

Proud to be a member:
The Calif. Rifle & Pistol Assoc. (Life Member)
The National Rifle Association

What part of "shall not be infringed" do you NOT understand?
joseph3724 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2007, 02:25 PM   #14 (permalink)

The 2008 HFCM is completely different, sadly. No go on a retrofit, without an insane amount of work.

The plug, despite being brass, develops enough corrosion around the threads to stick it a little bit even if it's not overtorqued (and this is why people who take it out monthly don't have the problem; no time for corrosion to build up.) It's isn't really sticking all that much, but the hex hole in the head, being brass, doesn't provide very much resistance to rounding either. The plug always loses eventually.

Ford's official replacement for our pickups is a steel plug. More likely to get a little corrosion, I suppose, but infinitely more resistant to rounding out the hole. So the plug wins, and the corrosion loses the torque battle.

The IH replacement is the way to go, though. No more depending on a stupid hex hole for putting torque on it.

Duncan
The 6.0L Bible: Web page
The 6.4L Bible: Web page
frobozz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2007, 02:45 PM   #15 (permalink)

The Ford part number is 6E7Z-9c082-A

I picked one up from Ford and I think it was under $12, and it works beautiful.
2004 F350, 6.0, crew cab, long box, ISSPRO BOOST-EGT-PYRO gauges, 4" MBRP exhaust, Innovative Diesel SCT programmed, GOS Racing headlight harness upgrade w/Bright Box FLC, husky floor mats, LEER canopy, FabTech 3.5" hangers on 35" tires.

2001 GMC Yukon, all stock besides the 18" chrome wheels and the kids car seats.

1992 Toyota Terdcel.

2006 Desert Fox toy hauler.

2005 Yamaha YFZ450 - a toy for the sand.

1996 Yamaha Banshee - oh yeah, it's a ride in the sand!
Richman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.