Gauge lights flicker - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2011, 05:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gauge lights flicker

'03 6.0, when I turn the key on, all the dummy lights come on and the gauges will do a sweep, shortly after that all the lights accept glow plugs will cut out or flicker and the gauges will stay at wherever they were in the sweep when the voltage is lost. Im thinking its a bad ECM ground, I cleaned all the battery grounds at the frame,engine, and the one on the passenger side inner fender, but Im not sure where or how the cab/ECM grounds to the frame. Anyone have any insight as to what is causing this?
rckstr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2011, 06:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

have you tested your batteries individually?
Oxford white, scangauge 2, 3" lift, egr delete, stc upgrade, dieselsite coolant filter, high idle mod, skyjacker s/s,deezee nerf bars and drybox, 305/65-18 BFG all terrains, Hella driving lights and fog lights.
sarnott140 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2011, 09:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

They are showing 520 amps each respectively under load. Starter is bad, it was cranking so slow it had no chance of starting, replacing it tomorrow, but dont see how it could affect the gauges with just having the key on..
Old 02-28-2011, 11:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Does anyone know where the rest of the grounds are? Surely it cant be just the 2 frame rails, engine, and the little one on the passenger side inner fender..
Old 03-02-2011, 01:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Does anyone else think it could be the ignition switch itself? Anyone have ideas about the best way to test for that? If I could check power going into the switch and it is constant when the lights flicker, that would indicate the ignition, I believe..
Old 03-17-2011, 07:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Still havent traced the problem down, does anyone have a wiring diagram for the gauges? Or a link to where I could find one? Its on 03, 6.0 .

Thanks!
Old 03-18-2011, 12:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

there was a bolt recall/ground connection issue for the 03...I'll see if I can dig it up for you...can't remember the location off the top of my head...b
03 F-250 CC LB XLT 3:73 rear/ almost stock/ early build/ 78,000 miles...03 F-250 ext cab Lariat Fx4 SB 3:73's /stock/187,000 all original injectors...FICM by Ed @FICM.COM / ScanGuage 2 monitoring the vitals...
03powerstrokeuser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2011, 01:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

recall #04S15...bolt and ground strap lower right front side of engine...you may also want to look for a wire chafe issue for the tow haul/gear selector wire on the steering column/remove the plastic cover/remove ign. switch and look for the small bundle of wires where they contact the top of column..the wires that exit the base of the shifter...the chafe point could be the issue for the gauge flicker...b
03 F-250 CC LB XLT 3:73 rear/ almost stock/ early build/ 78,000 miles...03 F-250 ext cab Lariat Fx4 SB 3:73's /stock/187,000 all original injectors...FICM by Ed @FICM.COM / ScanGuage 2 monitoring the vitals...

Last edited by 03powerstrokeuser; 03-18-2011 at 03:19 PM. Reason: add. info
03powerstrokeuser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2011, 03:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

The connectors to the panel on top, they need to be cleaned.

See my instrument panel cleaning stuff.
Gearloose1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.