The Diesel Stop banner

Getting information in line before Ford gets a hold of my truck

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  2 Stroker 
#1 ·
On the 20th of this month my rig goes to Ford for several problems. Some of which I've already discussed in the forums. So what I need help with is getting information in order in case this thing goes the way of that flightless little Galapagos bird.

I've already sent an email to Sinister Diesel asking if the coolant/oil filtration kit will void an extended service warranty but haven't heard back yet. Any one have knowledge of this?

My concern is that my EGR cooler is about to go or has gone out (plugged, etc) due to the oil cooler being horribly clogged when I bought the truck. I didn't realize the OC was plugged until after I'd bought it, bought and hooked up the Edge CTS and installed the coolant filter along with a botched Ford coolant flush.

Here is how I perceive the conversation to go when the service guys get into my truck and the warranty consultant (who will be there when they open up the rig) gets to look at things. I fear that I'll be told that the head gaskets are on the way out due to a failed egr cooler that was in turn caused by a failed oil cooler that was caused by improper coolant mixture in the system. Ford did the improper mixing a few weeks ago for me and I was assured by the tech that it was "fine".

Now my warranty says that Ford will not cover any part damaged by "insufficient oil flow" and/or "insufficient coolant flow" (if I remember the terms correctly). So if the oil cooler goes out due to the crappy Ford coolant, sand from the casting and improper coolant mixture by Ford does that perhaps mean that everything else that goes out after that isn't covered either?

I'm starting to get a little freaked out here. I've only made two payments on the truck and some huge pay out to get stuff fixed that I KNOW didn't happen in the last two months will ruin me.

Thanks folks.

See less See more
#2 ·
I've already sent an email to Sinister Diesel asking if the coolant/oil filtration kit will void an extended service warranty but haven't heard back yet. Any one have knowledge of this?
All I know about this is that you're asking the wrong people. Sinister can't answer for your warranty company. Only the warranty company can answer if that mod will void the warranty.

#3 ·
J...slow down! I recall your coolant flush thread & was right amount of "ELC" used etc. Now u say tech. says "should be fine" :confused:

Did ELC a/f used in your 6L meet :ford: specs? If so, good. If not, may/maynot be an issue? Another story.

AFAIK...any legit aftmkt co. has a disclaimer regarding approved/non approved parts for a vehicle under warr. In otherwords, consumer beaware. Like Mark says, gotta ask your warr. co.

FWIW...I've used info. from here when I had :ford: covered warr. repairs done on my 6L. But, I sure choose my words carefully when I talked with tec. & didn't tick/others off. Anyhow, calm down & update later if u can on outcome. Good luck!

#4 ·
J...slow down! I recall your coolant flush thread & was right amount of "ELC" used etc. Now u say tech. says "should be fine" :confused:
I went and talked to the same tech yesterday when I set up the appointment. He reassured me that the ELC I had them put in is fine. Yes they did in fact only put in 16 quarts of coolant...... I'm sure it'll come up again.

Did ELC a/f used in your 6L meet :ford: specs? If so, good. If not, may/maynot be an issue? Another story.
Yes indeed according to the tech.

AFAIK...any legit aftmkt co. has a disclaimer regarding approved/non approved parts for a vehicle under warr. In otherwords, consumer beaware. Like Mark says, gotta ask your warr. co.
Got a response back from SD and they say the same thing "check with your warranty provider". I'll ask about it when I drop the truck off (Ford has the warranty).

FWIW...I've used info. from here when I had :ford: covered warr. repairs done on my 6L. But, I sure choose my words carefully when I talked with tec. & didn't tick/others off. Anyhow, calm down & update later if u can on outcome. Good luck!
I'm trying to be calm. Really. I just spent a hell of a lot of time getting the truck I wanted and spending close to 20K$ might be just a "snap of the fingers" for some folks but for us it's been a year in the making and a lot of planning. Thanks again OT.

#5 ·
Thats the main reason I don't like Ford working on my truck and I have warranty. Last year I had some AC work done, all it did was put out hot air, they had it off an on for 6 weeks. It was a solenoid that works the blend doors good thing I had my 97 to pull my 5er for the summer. I would never have them do a coolant flush in and out in an hour when it took me 12.5hrs Restore flush then Restore+ flush and 50+ gallons of distilled water and a 1/4 tank of fuel.
Some dealer are not mod friendly they don't like (tunes,coolant filters,aftermarket air intakes)some don't mind.
2 stroker:ford:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.