glowplug problem? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 02:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
glowplug problem?

Within the past week or 2, my truck is very hard starting in the morning if it sits out. if its in the garage, or plugged in, it starts fine. Its got the juice, and fuel. Does this sound like a glow plug relay? If so, whats it look like, wheres it located, and whats something like that cost? Thanks guys!
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 03:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Well, bad glow plugs will set a code plus when you start it it will smoke white smoke that smells like mosquito killer. It will be very strong. If it does not smoke but behaves like a car with a bad carburetor i.e. a rolling start where you have to hold the key on longer then normal once it starts to catch that could be a bad FICM. Do you have a set of digital gauges like the edge insight or scan gauge II? They would tell you or at least suggest what is going on. Are your fuel filters still good, meaning are they less the 15k miles old? Does it seem like it is spinning at the normal rate of speed?

2008 FX4 F250 CCSB w/ 6.4L PSD - Edge Insight, H13 Bi-HIDs, custom coolant filter, "all deleted", fumoto.
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

The fuel filters could stand to be replaced. Im not exactly sure what they have one them, but wouldnt they cause a bad start every time? if its warmer, it starts fine. I think it smokes white, but to be honest, I didnt pay attention to that. It does take longer to catch, but im not sure Id describe it as the carberator example though. More like when you start your tractor and it should have been plugged in, but wasnt type of start, is how Id describe it...
Old 01-16-2013, 04:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

also, i think I have the edge. its the one that is just a display, that you cant change the settings on
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.