Head Gasket Replacement 6.0 PSD - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2008, 08:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Head Gasket Replacement 6.0 PSD

Hello Everyone,

To all of your powerstrokers who may be interested, I've found a way to repair those pesky head gaskets on your 6.0 without removing the cab. I've competed this task on my own and have pictures to prove it for any of you who might be interested in attempting this feat on in your own garage. I usually don't post on to blogs but after countless hours of reading that the only way to fix blown head gaskets due to the EGR system or what have you, I decided that I wanted to try my odds without removing the cab. It's a relatively involved process but can be done and as I said, if I get any interested people, I will post pictures and step by step instructions on how to do so. Happy Powerstroking!!!
folding time is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2008, 09:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
So nowi can finally do my headstuds without spending a fortune at the dealership.
Superlift 4" lift, Superlift SSR Shocks, Superlift Dual Stabilizers, Skyjacker 4 Inch Drop Pitman Arm, 20" KMC XD Series, MBRP 4" Dual Exhuast Turbo Back, MBRP 6" Dual Wall Tips, MBRP Muffler Delete, Volant Cold Air Intake, SkyJacker Extended Brakelines, Rancho Steering Shock Absorber, Edge Performance Platinum, Banks Performance Intercooler Kit, Recon Clear Cab Roof Lights / Clear Mirror Lenses / Illuminated Door Sills(Black), Fabtech Pre-Runner Bar, 5 in. Lights, Infinity Speakers, Lund Roof SunVisor, 13% tints, Custom Switch Box, Custom Subwoofer Box(No Middle Back Seat), JL W3 8" Subwoofers , Infinity Reference Amplifier, Battery Capacitor, Nitto Mud Grapplers 35 12.5 20, Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover
HeMiSlAyEr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2008, 09:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)
I'd be interested. I'm looking to put in some head studs. I have the money and the leave to do the studs, but not to have someone else pull the cab and do it. I'd like to see the pictures and know what exactly is involved with the install.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Post some pictures! You have got my attention.

Past truck 1992 F250 XLT 7.3 IDI ex-cab 4x4 auto 372,000 kms. It ran great; then a moose killed it!
pgjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2008, 10:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yes I am interested as well.

New truck: 2008 F250 Superduty Lariat 6.4 PSD Job 3, black, with ALL the goodies, very impressed so far...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
dieselmankane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2008, 12:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Ermmm, we regularly replace head gaskets without removing the cab.... Did you install studs?
GrampyJim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2008, 11:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

Re:

Wow, well I certainly wasn't expecting so many responses so fast but just to get everyone started, here are the links to pictures of just the block without the heads or valve train.

1) http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/n...60Diesel03.jpg

2) http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/n...60Diesel02.jpg

3) http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/n...60Diesel01.jpg

Disregard the blue masking tap, that was put on the deck as you can clearly see to avoid the pistons and water jacket being exposed to the excessive amount off grease and dirt below the turbo mount from miscellaneous oil spills from oil changes and just miles on the truck.

As for the head removal, it doesn't get complicated until you get all the way down to the head itself. I had no major issues with the exception of the fan because it's a normal style thread as opposed to a reverse thread which I assumed at first that it was. Radiator, alternator, intake and turbo removal are all relatively straight forward. The fan takes some strength to get off but the complication doesn't come in until the removal of the heads themselves. The passengers side head is the worst because the air conditioning cover blocks the 3 lower side head bolts in the rear. Since that cover causes an obstruction, it must be removed. Once removed, the head bolts come out enough to get the head shimmied up and out. There is also a high pressure oil line that runs from the top of the head down into the block. It's connected to the high pressure oil valley which sits atop the valve train, ultimately controlling the pressure in the injectors. So, that line will need to be plucked out and can be done so by the use of a screw driver or anything of that nature. It's held in place simply by an o-ring so you'll have to put a slight bit of force on it to get it out. The drivers side head is similar in nature except that there's only 1 bolt left in place which is the lower rear bolt closest to the firewall. The head will need to be tilted up toward the turbo about 45 degrees as to remove that last bolt and Bam, you're done with the removal stage. I'll repost later on the reconstruction stage.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:15 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrampyJim View Post
Ermmm, we regularly replace head gaskets without removing the cab.... Did you install studs?
Hi Jim, thanks for your input. If you have any pointers, they would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure other people have done this job without the removal of the cab, my goal however is to simply educate others on how because I've not come across a forum yet that explains in any detail on how to do it. And yes, I was able to get my studs in as well without removing the cab. I'll post pictures on that later as well. Thanks, Bill
Old 07-20-2008, 06:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
OT

My Photos: (8)
Bill

Saw mine torn apart. Curious..

Did you remove any body parts..front end/grill etc.? If not, you must be really tall/strong & loooong arms. Tks. for pics/info.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

This shouldn't be a big secret, youre just following the work shop manual. Nowhere in the workshop manual does it say remove the cab to pull heads on a 6.0L. Techs only pull the cabs on 6.0's to make it easier on our bodies.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:15 AM   #11 (permalink)

No shop Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gofasterdammit View Post
This shouldn't be a big secret, youre just following the work shop manual. Nowhere in the workshop manual does it say remove the cab to pull heads on a 6.0L. Techs only pull the cabs on 6.0's to make it easier on our bodies.
Hi Gofaster, actually, you're wrong, I haven't followed any shop manual. I was going to purchase one from Ford but it was 135 dollars and 2 volumes thick which isn't really relevant but at any rate, the price was a little bigger than my wallet, especially since the gaskets are 475 and the studs are 409 so I followed no shop manual. Had I have known that it was "no big secret" I wouldn't have posted anything to the forums. Seems as though enough people are as misled as I was. Thank for your input.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:23 AM   #12 (permalink)

RE:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OT View Post
Bill

Saw mine torn apart. Curious..

Did you remove any body parts..front end/grill etc.? If not, you must be really tall/strong & loooong arms. Tks. for pics/info.
Hi OT,

Thanks a bunch for your input and question. I removed no body panels or anything. The only thing I had to remove was the dryer cover on the A/C box which is on the passengers side because the 3 lower head bolts are problematic in getting out so in order to get the bolts out far enough, that dryer cover has to be taken off. There's just enough room after removing that cover to get the bolts out the remainder of the way and yeah, those heads a pretty heavy as well but the rocker arm valley is aluminum so that helps a little. I guess they remind me of any big block chevy head but one of the nice things is that since I removed the fan and radiator, there's enough room to stand right on the ground inside the cab. I'll post some more pictures later tonight of the other things I removed, IE, the dryer cover. Thanks, Bill
Old 07-21-2008, 09:28 AM   #13 (permalink)

I wish someone would write a how to guide with pics i would gladly use it as would many other folks.
Zoodad mod
"Lead foot disease"
GGoodman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2008, 10:13 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodman View Post
I wish someone would write a how to guide with pics i would gladly use it as would many other folks.
That would be a great idea.

Thanks for posting Folding Time. My studs were and gaskets were installed this way as well. Some folks know about this, some dont. If you took enough pictures you might be able to make a write-up and see if the moderators will sticky it so it wont be lost in the archives.

2004 Surf Side 30' pull trailer

2002 Mustang GT

1968 Pontiac Firebird (restored)
Smiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2008, 12:54 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by folding time View Post
Hi Gofaster, actually, you're wrong, I haven't followed any shop manual. I was going to purchase one from Ford but it was 135 dollars and 2 volumes thick which isn't really relevant but at any rate, the price was a little bigger than my wallet, especially since the gaskets are 475 and the studs are 409 so I followed no shop manual. Had I have known that it was "no big secret" I wouldn't have posted anything to the forums. Seems as though enough people are as misled as I was. Thank for your input.

Actually, youre wrong. I do this for a living.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.