Heater Problem??????????? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2008, 10:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry Heater Problem???????????

04 F350 6.0 110,000mi. bone stock

All right here are my issues, the heat will not work at low rpm's and it will only start blowing hot when the engine rpms are over 2,000. I have checked the coolant and that is fine. a few months ago I had to add over a gallon of coolant, I took it to the dealer and they said that everything checks out, 0ne day later it started billowing white smoke I took it back in and they replaced a egr hose and I have'nt had a problem since. Thermostat? head gaskets? please help
hunting247 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2008, 12:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

what does the temp gauge read,Possible thermostat issue or could even be a waterpump going out.But ususally you will get a overheat issue if its pump related.The clutch fan is Not stuck on is it?
Old 01-25-2008, 12:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Temp gauge (stock) is at the normal position and fan is not on. the outside temps have been about 0 degrees if that matters
hunting247 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2008, 02:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

same problem

My wife just called me and reported the same problem. All gauges normal but no heat. Temp today was at -7. Anyone with any ideas?
04 Yamaha Raptor
04 Yamaha YZ 125
04 Yamaha TTR 125
04 Haulmark 18ft cargo w/ air, heat, bunk beds.
Swarn2racing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2008, 05:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

Heater problem

Hey,Guys

If you truly have luke warm air blowing from your vents, and all fluids are at the correct range when the engine is cold and sat overnight.I would say the thermostat is stuck open meaning the engine block cant heat enough water/coolant to supply heat when the system is basically wide open
and full flowing. The thermostat is designed to not let full flow until an desired temp @195 give or take.

mike
06 silverback fth wheel 36 foot
DieselDoctor22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2008, 09:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarn2racing View Post
My wife just called me and reported the same problem. All gauges normal but no heat. Temp today was at -7. Anyone with any ideas?
Have the heater core flushed out at any radiator shop. Probably plugged up. You can check by feeling the heater hoses. Both should feel fairly warm at operating temperature. If one is noticeably cooler than the other that is your problem.
2006 F350 - Amarillo Package,loaded with all the toys, 4" MBRP cat back exhaust, Autometer EGT gauge, Viper 791XV auto start/cool down timer/alarm, Pioneer AVIC-D3 navigation/XM Radio/Sirius, 2.5" Tuff Country Leveling kit, KC Hilights front & rear, Dieselsite.com coolant filter, SkyJacker dual steering stabilizer, Firestone Ride Rite airbags w/onboard compressor, Kleinn Train Horns, Bilsteins all the way around, Recon LED's in the back, Programmed with the SuperChips 1805 Tuner always set on Tow Safe for a little extra get up and go.

30' Cardinal 30TS 5th wheel. The weekend home away from home.

"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
overfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2008, 09:55 AM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
I believe these trucks have a valve that does not allow the coolant to flow to the heater core in the air conditioning mode. It is controlled by the little vacuum pump. I would check to see if your 4wd works as the hubs are controlled by the vacuum pump. I am not sure why it wouldn't work below a certain rpm but it could be that the little vacuum pump is going bad or has some leaks or a bad electrical connection.
Built May '03, Bright Red, 6.0 Auto, ESOF 4x4, 3.73LS, 4.5" Edge Lift, 315/75-16 BFG KO A/T's, Polished/Clear Powder Coated Diff Covers, Weld Cheyenne 8 Wheels, Line X, Overhead DVD, Torza Tonneau Cover, 30' Fleetwood Gearbox Travel Trailer
Teebird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2008, 09:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (11)
yes trace the heater hoses from engine and see where the hot hose get cold and BINGO

99 F350 Super Duty CCLB 7.3 Auto DRW 150000 miles, multi disk converter,Hydra chip with TW tunes

1996 F250 XLT Ext Cab, Powerstroke, 4x4 Dana 60, Bilsteins shocks, BTS Trans, Baby Swamps,Tony Wildman Chip, AutoMeter Pyro/Trans/Boost, Tymar intake, MBRP 4 in turbo back exhaust, 209000 miles,D&B HT Starter

1996 F350 XL PowerStroke 4X4 DRW, Auto Trans, Stock Work Dump truck, DDP down pipe,Tymar intake, 113000 miles
Excavator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2008, 06:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

hunting247,
I too had that exact same problem with my 03 6.0l. When the engine temp. was normal and the truck was brought down to an idle, it was just like the a/c was turned on. Only noticed this problem during the cooler weather.
Truck was constantly using a small amount of antifreeze and would never stay at the "new" fullmark. Also appeared that the engine temperature would reach "normal operating" range a little faster than normal.
I bought a digital thermometer and kept track of the temperature coming out of the vents in the cab. Temperature would drop by 40 deg F when the truck was at an idle and temperature out of heater vents didn't seem to correlate with engine temp?
Ford did some "cooling system" tests which they determined that the head gaskets were in fact leaking (cooling system would overpressurize under acceleration). Ford had changed out the EGR cooler a few months previously to try to resolve this issue also.
Now with new head gaskets, problem is solved, I have heat in the cab at an idle once more!!!

Hope this helps,
Selbeep

Old 02-12-2008, 10:32 AM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Send a message via AIM to Larry202br
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selbeep View Post
hunting247,
I too had that exact same problem with my 03 6.0l. When the engine temp. was normal and the truck was brought down to an idle, it was just like the a/c was turned on. Only noticed this problem during the cooler weather.
Truck was constantly using a small amount of antifreeze and would never stay at the "new" fullmark. Also appeared that the engine temperature would reach "normal operating" range a little faster than normal.
I bought a digital thermometer and kept track of the temperature coming out of the vents in the cab. Temperature would drop by 40 deg F when the truck was at an idle and temperature out of heater vents didn't seem to correlate with engine temp?
Ford did some "cooling system" tests which they determined that the head gaskets were in fact leaking (cooling system would overpressurize under acceleration). Ford had changed out the EGR cooler a few months previously to try to resolve this issue also.
Now with new head gaskets, problem is solved, I have heat in the cab at an idle once more!!!

Hope this helps,
Selbeep

My truck is doing a similar thing. I noticed I was a little low on coolant, and I replaced about a 1/2 gal. I'm getting a little bit of puking, and a whistling noise under hard acceleration, and sudden throttle release. The heater started working again when I re-filled the coolant, but I'm concerned about the loss of coolant. do you know what the over pressure psi was?
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.