Help with Alternator and Serpentine Belt replacement - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2007, 07:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help with Alternator and Serpentine Belt replacement

My alternater seems to be on the outs as it is only putting out 12V at idle plus the battery indicator is on. What tools do I need to get the Belt off? Any advive to make this easy? WHere is the tensioner that I need to release? Sorry for so many questions, just have a limited time tomorrow to get it done before I go on a trip. Thanks.
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2007, 08:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Help with Alternator and Serpentine Belt replacement

The tensioner is hard to reach but there is an easy way to do the change. This method requires a strong friend. Place a 6 foot or longer piece of pipe ,2x4 etc crossways across the engine compartment. tie a short piece of rope around the pipe and around the belt. Lift he belt off the alternator pulley.Replace alternator. Lift belt back onto pulley.

THE DEVIL DWELLETH IN ALL THINGS SPARKPLUGGED
Sageair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2007, 10:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

I always loosen the 4 bolts holding the shround to the engine (2 on top/2 on bottom) and use a 1/2" breaker bar with a piece of pipe (or they make a slim tensioner tool for this) and insert either into the front of the tensioner and release the tension.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:16 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (38)

To swap an anternator, I take the little "wing" off the fan shroud, get a firm grip on the belt between the lower idler and the alternator, and pull outwards. Using my other hand, I flip the little lever on the bottom of the tensioner and slowly release the belt. The lever holds the tensioner in the released position.

After replacing the alternator, a quick tug on the belt lets the lever spring back. Reinstall the wing and you're done...
Old 09-28-2007, 11:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (38)

Oh, it takes some arm strength to pull the belt that far. You're only usingyour left arm, while your right hand is flipping the lever.

I guess all those 6.0L head bolt torque sequences were good for something....
Old 09-28-2007, 01:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)

<span style="color: blue"> Greg ,

I'm assuming this is for the stock tensioner, right?

Does anyone know if an aftermarket will have this type of lock?

Thanks, </span>

* '04 F250 XCab LWB 4X4 w/ FX4 *
* TorqShift *
* Manual 4WD *
* Carpet Delete *
* No. 2 ONLY *
* High-Idle Mod *
* Fumoto Valve *
AllOutFirefighter13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2007, 12:24 AM   #7 (permalink)

I replaced mine in the ford parking lot in about 7 minutes, Looosen the three bolts on the top and tilt the alternator down toward the front and slip off belt, reverse sequence to install and dont forgot about the hot 12v wire also. Its pretty easy just takes a little caressing to get it slid all into the right place.
Old 04-12-2008, 04:10 AM   #8 (permalink)

How did u get alternater changed in 7 min
ed47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2009, 09:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebuilder View Post
I replaced mine in the ford parking lot in about 7 minutes, Looosen the three bolts on the top and tilt the alternator down toward the front and slip off belt, reverse sequence to install and dont forgot about the hot 12v wire also. Its pretty easy just takes a little caressing to get it slid all into the right place.
Worked for me, probably 10 min after 20 min looking on the forum. Taped up the 12V wire so it wouldn't short out
6 spd basic

88 Ford F350 4X4 Crewcab
Original Injector Pump
Original Clutch
Electric Fuel Pump
Reconditioned Shotgun Holder
Lots of Rust
raymason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2009, 09:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

The little metal tang that holds the tensioner inthe locked position is the trick. You should be able to pull the belt and push the tang into the notch so it holds the tensioner in place. lift the belt off and remove the alt and repalce it. to reinstall the belt just line it up and yanc on it. the tang is spring loaded and it will move out as soon as you let the pressure off. If you don;'t havethe strength use a pry bar or big screw driver to pry the belt. put it under the belt and against the alternator for leverage.
99.5 Green F250 Crew Cab short bed. Solid Chrome front bumper, chrome hooks, Chrome flame grill, 2005 Headlights and Emblems, K&N cone air filter, wicked wheel, 5" exhaust 6 1/2 tailpipe,Edge Evolution programmer, Pioneer in dash touch screen dvd player, Directed 200 amp to 4 pioneer 4ways Directed 600 amp to 3 10" JL audio subs, 6" superlift all riding on 4 Chrome 10x20 Helo Maxx 8S and toyo open country A/T 37/13.5/20 looks and runs like new.
jetski86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2009, 10:26 AM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to lubbockguy1979
Just wanted to say thanks and give a kudos to the tab lock on the tensioner pully made it a lot easier to get the belt off with out having a bunch of specialty tools used a claw hammer to ge enough leverage and locked it with the other hand...
auto, electric tcase
soon to have isspro
fire/air/trans/fuel
stock suspension and
pretty much everything
else
lubbockguy1979 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2010, 02:47 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubbockguy1979 View Post
Just wanted to say thanks and give a kudos to the tab lock on the tensioner pully made it a lot easier to get the belt off with out having a bunch of specialty tools used a claw hammer to ge enough leverage and locked it with the other hand...
This helped me a ton
O6 King Ranch cc sb 4 inch lift ,35 Pro Comp,Helo’s Edge Insight CTS guage only , Auber EGT , o8 center console ,2x10 subs, xm satellite ,coolant filter,RSX 9000 shocks,dual bilstein steering stabilizers ,Viper , remote toolbox popper, High Idle mod , up fitters added ,weather guard mats , ARP's, BPD EGR cooler, Marinco Mod ,Zoodad waste Fabtech traction bars, Some other stuff
ZMANN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2010, 12:20 PM   #13 (permalink)

I just did mine in 20 minutes and that included getting the tools out of the box and placing the charger on the batteries. It's hot as he-ll outside and I haven't turned a wrench in years! You simply disconnect the hot wire (7/16th in. socket) and plug (small screwdriver to press on tab) on the top backside of the alternator. Tape up the hot wire so it doesn't ground out while you're working. Un-bolt the three top facing alternator mounting bolts (1/2 in. socket). Tilt alternator forward and slide belt off pulley. Keep a little tension on the belt or it will slide off the a/c pump pulley down below and or the tensioner pulley to the right. If it does come off, just take a moment to reset it. No big deal. Slip the new alternator under the belt and place it back on top of it's mounting bracket. Loosely reinstall the three mounting bolts to properly position the alternator (There is a little play in the bolt holes so you can get them all started) back on it's bracket. Once they are started and the front ones are down a bit, you can leverage down on the back of the alternator with your one hand and then hand tighten the back bolt down most of the way. Tighten the remaining threads of all three blots with your ratchet and you've completed mounting the alternator. Careful too, because you're dealing with aluminum brackets that will strip/crack easily. Don't forget to plug and bolt your wires back! You've now saved yourself $250.00 in labor! I'm totally frickin' stoked! Thanks much to all on DieselStop.com!
jmswann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2010, 12:33 PM   #14 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)
Replace your alt. in 1:04 minutes with this thing:
5% 3M Tinting
Viper 791XV with Remote Start
152dB Kleinn 3-Trumpet Horn System
Dakota Digital Gauges
T409 MBRP Straight Pipe
AFE Stage II Intake
HARPOONED Fuel Tank
2003 10 Vane Turbocharger
Blacked Out Harley-Davidson Edition Headlamps
ARP Head Studs
AVIC-Z2 In-Dash Navigation System
205cc Elite Sticks
Coolant Filter
Elite Regulated Return Fuel System
FS2500 Oil Filter
HPOP STC Replaced

My Pictures
cmirabile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2010, 06:53 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregH View Post
Oh, it takes some arm strength to pull the belt that far. You're only usingyour left arm, while your right hand is flipping the lever.

I guess all those 6.0L head bolt torque sequences were good for something....

Thanks for this great info...worked like a charm, and saved me having to pay to have it replaced in a shop!!!!

It really only took 20 minutes including the time to disconnect the batteries!
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.