HELP! How do I get the fan belt off? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2011, 12:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HELP! How do I get the fan belt off?

How do I get the fan belt off? I have a 2 pulley tensioner and I have found the square area for a 1/2" breaker bar but the clearance is nearly zero and I cannot feel it very well. What do I need to do or is there a special tool?
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2011, 04:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (14)
If you only want to get it off, cut it!

I worked mine off the alternator pulley. Took a little work, but it came. You could also remove the alternator and the belt will be loose.

Mike
140A Alternator. 125W solar panel. Sportsmobile off-road trailer.
115615 miles. 16.65 mpg average
From Cal to Alaska, Key West, Labrador/Newfoundland and points in between
Salem Kroger coil spring 4wd conversion - 4" lift
05 F350 front axle and aluminum wheels 275/70-18 tires.
46 Gal tank - harpooned pump vent tube.
Scangauge. DieselSite Coolant Filter@72K. Fumoto valve. Amsoil dual remote oil filter setup.
MikeL46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2011, 04:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

1. unhook the battery leads
2. remove the three alternator bolts
3. tilt alternator forward
4. Remove belt

- reverse to install.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Can you actually get the belt out and around the fan and put a new one back in that way? It looks very difficult......
June 2004 F350 6.0L, 4 Door Supercab XLT SRwd Short Bed, Automatic, Deluxe Aluminum wheels, Class V Trailer hitch receiver, 3.73 standard rear end. Line-X bed liner, 5th wheel hitch, Brakesmart trailer brake control and Powerlock starter interlock. Coolant filter. Fully Bullet Proofed.
Larryect is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2011, 06:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryect View Post
Can you actually get the belt out and around the fan and put a new one back in that way? It looks very difficult......
A single alternator belt does not have to be worked around the fan. The fan is driven off the back (flat side) of the belt. The Alternator, AC compressor and Power steering pump are the only accessories driven from the grooved side.
Attached Thumbnails
HELP!  How do I get the fan belt off?-serpentine-belt-diagram.jpg  
2004 SunnyBrook Solanta 28' TT small slide 7800#

35 Years in the trenches!
Retired Machinist & Manufacturing Engineer for fuel control systems for very large Diesel Engines. Locomotives to Super Tankers.

Designed and trouble shot manufacturing processes for stuff from Design Engineers. Sometimes had to wrestle for design changes.
Designed and built tools and equipment to machine, assemble, disassemble, repair and test.

Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
"Nothing is FOOLPROOF because fools are too ingenious"-Mark Twain
johnmart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2011, 07:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Johnmart, that's good to know - thanks. I was really dreading tackling that job. Now I might try it.
June 2004 F350 6.0L, 4 Door Supercab XLT SRwd Short Bed, Automatic, Deluxe Aluminum wheels, Class V Trailer hitch receiver, 3.73 standard rear end. Line-X bed liner, 5th wheel hitch, Brakesmart trailer brake control and Powerlock starter interlock. Coolant filter. Fully Bullet Proofed.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Oh, but do set aside a lot of free time and patience...as rcgreg indicates alternator loosing and tilt was my method although I didn't disconnect the battery, was just VERY careful to not expose the + lead to ground. Removed old belt...I didn't cut it and then nursed new one from above, below, above...much of this...@#%^* and now its done with a couple of "short" cranks to avoid engine starting and careful inspection to make sure it was centered on all pulleys. Done deal and hope its good for another 110k miles.
Stock 03 6.0, F250 Crew SB, 4x4 P/U, 109,400 miles, Scan Gauge II (TFT, ECT, EOT, BST), Fuel press blue spring U/G, HFCM water separator Drain plug, BD Diesel Performance Intake Hose & Clamp Kit, Shell Rotella T6 5w-40, Power Service Diesel Kleen +Cetane Boost, Autoenginuity Enhanced Ford & GM Interfaces
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2011, 08:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

You don't have to take the alternator off. There is a catch on the idler/tensioner assembly below the alternator and all you have to do is have someone stand on passenger side of truck and grab the belt below the alternator pulley and pull on the belt while someone else reaches behind that idler/tensioner and flips that lever. Then the belt will be loose, once you get the new belt in position just get on the passenger side and pull on the belt and that catch will release and the belt will be under tension. I think I posted a picture of that catch one time and will see if I can find it.

1995 Chevy K1500
6.5 Diesel
335,000 Miles
fonecop1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2011, 08:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

You can see that little catch right above the AC clutch in this picture right in front of the ribbed pulley.

1995 Chevy K1500
6.5 Diesel
335,000 Miles
Old 09-21-2011, 09:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

I used a long handled 1/2" ratchet in the square drive hole and moved the tentioner .It took me about 15 minutes to change the belt.
wood61546 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2011, 10:27 PM   #11 (permalink)

Thanks for all the tips. Is the 1/2 inch square drive hole in the center of wheel 8 above in the diagram?
Old 09-22-2011, 06:11 AM   #12 (permalink)

Did ya read what foncop said?
If you stand with your belly on the passenger side fender & look down by the pulleys, there is a stainless steel tab about one inch by half an inch, with your left hand pull the belt & with your right thumb push that tab in, it will sit in a notch holding the tentioner open.
To release just pull the belt again & the tab will pop free.
Case 580 super k
case 580 super m+
84 international s/a dump dt466 rebuilt (by me)
JMTC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2011, 10:11 AM   #13 (permalink)

Yep, I read what he said - use 2 people - really appreciate it and the picture. Not sure I am seeing the catch or will know exactly how to flip it on the first try. It looks like it might be the piece below the AC clutch almost touching the ribbed pully. But, not sure because he said above the AC clutch. Sorry but I don't see anything above the AC clutch.

I thought using more leverage with a 1/2 breaker bar might allow for a bit more time to engage the catch. Anyway, it's good to try to understand all the options....
Old 09-22-2011, 04:29 PM   #14 (permalink)

I believe that picture is from underneath the truck, it's the little thing in the picture between the clutch and the ribbed pulley. Also it sounds like it can be done with one person if you do it right.

1995 Chevy K1500
6.5 Diesel
335,000 Miles

Last edited by fonecop1; 09-22-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:12 PM   #15 (permalink)

Ah-ha, That helps clear things up. I will have to look as soon as I get a chance. It will probably be a while before I can get to it. But thanks for the input.

I hope Always_Workin got what he was looking for. I certainly didn't mean to take over the thread. Just something I have been looking at too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.