help... loosing oil pressure at idle - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 07:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
help... loosing oil pressure at idle

I have a 05 f250 with 53k miles that is loosing oil pressure at idle,It started last week,It was a few quarts low on oil,had been a awhile since I changed oil,cant remember how many miles where on this oil,I changed the oil and filter. and it seemed to continue doing this when I first started it,untill I gave it 2k rpms or more.Reved it hard and it was fine for a couple weeks,now its starting to do the same thing.
Oil pressure looks fine while driving but as soon as the truck begins to stop and rpms fall under 2k the gauge bottoms out and the dash warning comes on saying low oil pressure.

ran a search and found this thread.. but I have no starting issues.could this be the same issue?

cold hard start no oil pressure at idle high pressure oil pump
masterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2011, 10:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
2 things come mind right off the bat, since an oil change was just done, first thing I would check is the drain valve in the bottom of the oil filter housing. Remove the oil filter and look down in the bottom,there is a black plastic valve that gets depressed when the oil filter is installed,I've seen these broke,allowing oil to drain while engine is running. The 2nd thing is- IF someone recently replaced oil cooler,did they clean the oil cooler housing in a hot parts washer with the oil pressure switch still installed? IF so,may need to replace oil pressure switch-located on top of oil cooler cover.
dijoeboss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011, 12:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

thank you for your reply,The problem started before the oil change,the truck was a few quarts low,I thought maybe it got low enough that that was the issue.Then I changed the oil and filter,problem went a away for a couple hundred miles,then came back. I had to use some kind of a plastic adapter on the spring with the new filter.I read that guys here dont like A/M filters,I may go get a ford filter now. But I dont think that is the issue thats causing the total loss of oil pressure. when I changed the filter,I checked the valve and spring and it seemed to look fine.
Any other issues it could be,no other work has ever been done to the truck.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to lubbockguy1979
The a/m oil filters are very famous for causing issues. I assume you have no oil leaks or that would be stated. I would start at walmart spend $20 and get a ford filter. Next I would look for oil leaks. It is possible the turbo might have a bas seal for the oil loss. With the correct filter I would then start the witch hunt. You will not loose much if any oil changing the filter.
auto, electric tcase
soon to have isspro
fire/air/trans/fuel
stock suspension and
pretty much everything
else
lubbockguy1979 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011, 04:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

The 6.0L does not really have a pressure transmitter. It is a pressure switch. The gauge is programmed to look like a real gauge, but it isn't.

Be sure to install a MOTORCRAFT oil filter as soon as possible.

To me it sounds like you have an electrical or sending unit issue w/ that switch. Your truck will not run with a loss in base oil pressure/flow since the high pressure oil system is fed by the low pressure system. If you truly do have a slowly dropping oil pressure the most likely culprit (IMO) is the pressure regulator on the LPOP.

Since you changed the oil, are you still losing oil level?
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs

Last edited by bismic; 11-09-2011 at 08:40 PM.
bismic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011, 08:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

ah that makes sense the pressure gauge is really a switch,that explains the drop from normal to nothing at idle. No the truck isnt losing oil. It took a very long time for it to get a couple quarts low,not sure how many miles but it was alot.the truck doesnt get driven everyday,but when it does it usually short trips.. last change was delo oil.this change was rotella.There has been a small leak that centers around the oil filter housing,Ive had to clean it 3 times in 50k miles so its very small,but i just cant seem to find where it is coming from,it gets in the front of the turbo and up on the hood in that area.

So if the oil pressure fell off truly the truck would not run for sure? Where is the pressure switch. It seems like when it starts doing this If i put the truck in tow mode and run it hard a time or 2 it stops doing it for a while.would this be related to the sending unit switch as well? also recently it seems to run rough and miss in the morn when its cold,but it starts fine and runs good after a few min. I put some cetane booster in it,but it didnt seem to help

it has minimal mods,4 inch turbo back exh,pro guard filter intake,sct tuner by innovative diesel

Last edited by masterblaster; 11-08-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

has this happened to anyone else where the the dash light comes on saying low oil pressure and the truck still run fine?
Where is the sending unit switch located?
Old 11-09-2011, 07:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

I agree with bismic. The "gauge" on the dash will go to the normal range once low oil pressure gets to 7psi. As he stated, the engine will not run without base (low oil) pressure, since the low oil side feeds the reservoir for the high pressure side. A bad sending unit would also likely set the CEL.

Also, the engine oil pressure switch is right at the base of the oil filter housing, so your oil leak and your supposed oil pressure problem may well be one and the same issue. You can find a picture of the EOP switch location here.

The rough idle on cold start sounds like stiction. Do a search on that term and you will learn alot about it and what causes it.
2003 Toreador Red/Arizona Beige CC, DRW, Lariat, FX4, 6.0 PSD, Torqshift, born early Feb. 03; AIC; Silverline turbo-back dual exhaust; 155cc injectors from Full Force Diesel (Casserly); SCT with tuning by Tony Wildman (Total Diesel Performance) & Innovative Diesel; ARP studs; Dfuser regulated return; AFE PG7; Fumoto valve; B&W hitch, Di-Pricol gauges; DIESELSITE Coolant filter; Timbrens; Rancho RSXs; Michelin XPS Traction's; a whole bunch of "bling"; Connex 4300hp; Pioneer DEH6100BT; JL Audio 275w amp driving a 12" sub; JL Audio 50wx4 amp driving the Alpine door and rear seat speakers. 380.3hp/786.7ft-lbs (on my tow tune!)

pics

SLAPS President and Webmaster
teamroper60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2011, 08:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

thanks guys for the help,I really hope its just the eop switch,it sounds like thats all it could be if the motor wouldnt run without the pressure being right.The od thing is it only shows the cel at idle,im guessing the switch is just dirty or something on the tip where it reads pressure,so maybe when the rpms drop low and the oil pressure is lowest,it cant read it at all.
have you guys ever seen this happen before with the 6.0. I cant find any other cases of it here on the forum
Old 11-09-2011, 08:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

I found this Ford literature for you (and I have emailed you a bunch of stuff (hopefully not too much)!

The minimum engine oil pressure specifications are 82.7 kPa (12 psi) at 700 rpm, 165.5 kPa (24 psi) at 1,200 rpm and 310.3 kPa (45 psi) at 1,800 rpm with the engine at operating temperature. Low or no pressure could be caused by the oil pressure regulator, gerotor oil pump or an internal lube oil pressure leak.
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
Old 11-09-2011, 08:52 PM   #11 (permalink)

m-chan68 confirmed that the gauge will read "middle of gauge" or "zero" - nothing in between. To me, if you see the gauge slowly drop from the middle to zero (and not drop like a step-change), then I would check the wiring to the sending unit and/or replace it.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:42 PM   #12 (permalink)

bismic..thanks for all the info Im reading it all,the gauge just falls like a rock at idle from middle to zero and the dash lights up low oil pressure. but if I even tap the gas a tiny bit,like to 900rpm,the gauge reads fine,it never acts up while driving just at stop at idle.I have to drive it 3 hours tomorrow,I hope its just the sending switch.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:47 PM   #13 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to usmarshls
I really hope you put a motorcraft filter in your truck by now. not ford filters will really F u your 6.0 :-(
Factory upfitter switches
rear seat cover "kids are a mess"
LED floor lighting front and rear.
LED lights in bed under rails.
MORE LEDs coming soon.

SOLD Goodbye my love
2005 F-350 King Ranch FX-4 CC long bed
2in level kit.airade intake with 4micron sock.superchips.sinister coolant filter.blue spring update.ranch hand wrench ready front bumperreplacement. installing glowshift gauges EGT,BOOST,TRANS TEMP,FUEL PSI. with quad gauge pod A-PILLAR.4IN turbo back cat delete

2004 F-250 V-10 -SOLD
1986 F-150 V-8 302CID first year of EFI -SOLD
1984 F-250 V-8 351CID Carb SOLD

In the Garage
1995 F-150, 460CID
2004 Expolrer 4.0L
usmarshls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2011, 03:42 PM   #14 (permalink)

yes I did replace filter with walmart motorcraft. The a/m one I used had some little plastic thing that cliped pushed into the spring before the filter went on. Live and learn. The problem was coming and going with the aftermarket filter and the first motorcraft filter I removed when oil was low. So far the new filter is in for a couple days and issue has not come back,we will see. The other thing I noticed at walmart was the motocraft powerstroke oil was 20 50 weight I used rotella 5 30 or something like that cant remember.Seemed it would be better winter diesel oil.Will that make a diff in this motor?
Old 11-14-2011, 05:08 PM   #15 (permalink)

The type of oil you choose will absolutely make a difference. You need to use a diesel oil (CI4+, CJ4+) properly rated for the temperature in your area.

Also, you SHOULD use a motorcraft filter cap with the motorcraft filter. If you have an aftermarket cap, hopefully you ditched it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.