HFCM Drain on 2005 F-250 PS - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2005, 04:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HFCM Drain on 2005 F-250 PS

Have 700 miles on truck, still trying to learn where all the parts and pieces are. The PS diesel owner's supplement manual shows picture of HFCM mounted on frame. Shows "Drain Lever" and drain on bottom of HFCM. My truck does not have a "Drain Lever" nor drain. There is, however, a brass plug with hex-head at the bottom of the unit. Is this the drain? If it is, are the plug threads slotted so that as it is loosened, the fuel can flow out? Or do you have to remove the plug and then as fuel runs down your arm and all over the floor, try to get it threaded back in? Thanks for help. First 700 miles have been fun! Can't wait to get the 5th hooked up to see how she tows! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2005, 05:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (21)
Re: HFCM Drain on 2005 F-250 PS

You got it... the level is coming "SOMEDAY" till then, we all get the joys of a diesel bath. It's a 6mm allen head. A cut up 2-liter bottle seems to work dandy to catch the gunk. When you put the plug back in, be sure not to over torque it.

O

02/03 built F350 6L, DRW, 05 Grille , 4" DPPI Exhaust, UltraLites on the A Pillar and Overhead Console, Firestone Bags & Compressor, Hadley Bully Airhorns , 50 Gallon Transfer Flow, Racho 9000's, Leveled 2.5/0, In-Dash PC , XM Commander.
Photos
ozhoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2005, 05:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

this has probably been covered before but try tieing a shop rag around your wrist and the diesel wont into your arm pit. it will soak up in the rag...

TxPanzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2005, 05:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

A 6mm allen wrench will remove the brass plug. There is a steel plug available from Ford. Part Number is "3C3Z-9A214-AB Adaptor". It was about $8.00 I think.

Dave
2004 F-350. Standard Cab, 4X4, 6.0 with Torqshift, 3.73 w/LS. <font color="red">(((XM))) Satellite Radio.</font> Lo Jack, 6608 lbs wet. Born on 8/4/2003. Engine 07/23/2003. 3" Lift. Grover Air Horns!!!
http://community.webshots.com/album/85108545NlXNsD

1993 F-350 4X4 7.3 IDI with 5 spd. Gone now.

1976 Kenworth C-500 with Detroit Diesel 8V92TA with 3 spd Jake, SQHD's and RTO 12513 10 Wheel Dump Truck. Sold.
dbennett48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2005, 06:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

The day the public finds out that the upgraded unit is available there will be a run on them. I know I would like the lever system. That is the one thing I miss compared to my '97 and the way it drained. Chris
2004 F350 Regular Cab Long Box XLT, FX4, 6.0L and TorqShift, Manual Transfer Case and Hubs, Dark Shadow Grey Metallic, Keyless Entry, Factory Idle Control, 8 1/2' Fisher MMII, XL Steel Wheels painted Black with 285/75R16 ProComp A/T's, Rough Country 2.5" Leveling Kit.

1991 VW Jetta 1.6L Diesel 5 Speed.

Displaced '97 F-350 Powerstroke XLT, auto, 355 gears, and LT285/75R16 Cooper Discover LT's. I have a Stan's Headers downpipe. Custom built cat delete pipe. 4" exhaust exiting at a 45 in front of the rear wheel, chrome of course. Homemade open element with a K&N Filter. 8' Fisher Minute Mount SnowPlow.
auken98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2005, 09:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

That's friggin beautiful. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/depressed.gif[/img] I can't wait to do my first drain now. The book does say a lever, low and behold .. an allen plug.

Thanks for the advise about the towel around the wrist that will come in handy. Or maybe diesel would work as an anti-perspirant [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif[/img]

Anyone has the torq specs on that plug? Will it need teflon tape or any type of thread sealant?

Michael

Mfg Dates: Indy Engine=01/21/05, Trans=01/18/05
mikeadams is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2005, 10:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (21)

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone has the torq specs on that plug?

[/ QUOTE ]

62 lb-in

[ QUOTE ]
Will it need teflon tape or any type of thread sealant?

[/ QUOTE ]

The plug has an o ring on it. Check it for nicks/debris and reinstall. It's not as bad as it sounds... unless you have a 4X4 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

O

02/03 built F350 6L, DRW, 05 Grille , 4" DPPI Exhaust, UltraLites on the A Pillar and Overhead Console, Firestone Bags & Compressor, Hadley Bully Airhorns , 50 Gallon Transfer Flow, Racho 9000's, Leveled 2.5/0, In-Dash PC , XM Commander.
Photos
ozhoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2005, 10:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)

I wonder when they changed from the brass plug to the steel? I ordered a steel one several months ago after reading the posts on here (to be on the safe side) and I have a steel plug in there already?

2004/1997 Powerstroke Pics, Ford 9N Tractor,6.0 Bible
dwelch1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2005, 02:55 AM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

4/12/05 (Tuesday!) built 2005 F350 4x4.

Still putting the plugs in them (no lever)
-T

PS: I wonder if anyone here has a truck that was built on March 19th (Friday...day after St. Patricks day). LOL [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]
Old 05-02-2005, 05:47 AM   #10 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
this has probably been covered before but try tieing a shop rag around your wrist and the diesel wont into your arm pit. it will soak up in the rag...

[/ QUOTE ]

Now there's an idea! Last couple of times I've managed to avoid getting it all the way to the armpit though. Someone suggested cutting off a 2-liter soda bottle and holding that up under the drain as you open it (you could even let the plug fall into it if you can't grab it in that small space in time). Works like a charm. The diesel doesn't fall far enough to splatter, and the plastic bends to be able to wedge it in past the driveshaft and frame, etc.

The other handy tip is to park slightly nose down when doing this. That way only a few paper towel's worth of extra fuel spills out onto the frame rail when you take the filter cap off, rather than a whole pool of it.

I'll be first in line at the parts department for the lever-drain HFCM when they finally start selling them.

Duncan
The 6.0L Bible: Web page
The 6.4L Bible: Web page
frobozz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2005, 06:27 AM   #11 (permalink)

I have reached over the drive shaft to rotate the allen reach with good results. Also, cut a plastic milk jug to get as close as possible to the HFCM. Remove the fuel cap before you start and start to drain. I usually get about a pint of fuel and never get any fuel on myself. Hate the diesel bath! Hope this helps.

Mark

2007 F-250 King Ranch,Dark Copper, CC, 4x4, FX4, PSD, Torqshift, tow command, SOLD

2008 Cedar Creek 34RLSA
mlabelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2005, 09:41 AM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)

[ QUOTE ]
Or do you have to remove the plug and then as fuel runs down your arm and all over the floor, try to get it threaded back in?

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to TDS Frunky. The boys have taken care of you with this post. I also use a gallon milk jug with the upper 1/4 cut off, so I have a handle to hold while it is draining. As for threading it back in, just let it completely drain, it will only drain a pint or so, then come to a stop. I have the brass plug and stripped it, had to go buy a new one and a spare to keep just in case. Next time I will buy the steel version.
2004 F-250 CC FX4 Lariat PSD 6-Speed with moonroof, camper package and AIC. Medium Wedgewood Blue over Arizona Beige. Retrax Bed Cover. Cabelas Trail Gear Floor Mats. Wet Okole Seat Covers. Airaid Intake, MBRP exhaust. Edge Juice Platinum with Attitude.
Truck pics
deacjrt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2005, 10:12 AM   #13 (permalink)

One more quick hint to stay clean. Use the cut off plastic soda bottle for sure. After loosening the plug until you can turn it with your hand, reach above the driveshaft to unthread/remove the plug, remove the plug while having your plastic catch container ready, and you should remain deisel free. It works well for me. Good Luck.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:36 AM   #14 (permalink)

My Photos: (11)

Leave the 'T' handled allen wrenches in the tool box and get a set of 'L' shaped wrenches. The set I have also have the 'ball' on the end so you can use the wrench, once plug is loosened, at an angle. It works great for getting around the front driveshaft.

For draining, use a small container that you can hold under the plug while it drains. Also, don't pull the plug completely from the HFCM. Allow it to drain for a while before pulling out the plug. Since it IS a drain, the plug is going to be the lowest point in the HFCM. Water sits at the bottom, so the water will be the first out the plug. Prior to draining, make sure you loosen the fuel cap to the tank, so you can break the siphon action.

If your arm is above the driveshaft, then only your hand gets fuel on it. If your arm is below the driveshaft, your arm pit will get the fuel. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]

Another solution would be to install an aftermarket fuel filter/water separator ahead of the HFCM. Once installed, you can see the trash that you're trapping and can twist a lever to drain. See my pictures.
The only downside is the complete diesel bath you get during installation. (cutting rigid fuel line) The aftermarket filter I'm using is the Dahl/Baldwin 100. The whole kit is like $120 and replacement filters are $9 each. (Cheaper to replace than the factory filters.)

Anyway, I did not mean for this to become an infomercial, but I believe having clean fuel is vital for long diesel life.

Good luck and here's to dry arm pits.
Brian.

Add-ons: Headache Rack, Brush Guard, B&W Hidden Hitch & Daytime Running Lights, PIAA 520 series driving lights, boost/tranny gauges, Dahl 100 fuel filter/water separator, Prodigy brake controller, air horns, Sinister Coolant Filter.

In-the-works: Onboard air, Aux. fuel/Toolbox combo.

Ordered on: 03/29/04.
Arrived on: 04/28/04.
SIGNED: 05/01/04 Whoop!
Recall 04B24: Installed 02/15/05.

My Pics

6.0L Bible
PoppaSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2005, 07:59 PM   #15 (permalink)

Thanks guys for all the info on draining the HFCM. I used a cut-off liter plastic bottle, and stuffed a rag under the HFCM so that when the fuel came out and followed the bottom of the HFCM, it got absorbed. Never spilled a drop. I was careful with the brass plug, and will buy a steel replacement to keep on hand. I only drained about a half-cup, and it was clean w/no water. I will let it drain completely next time, but was cautious because my Cummins I had for 185,000 miles was persnickety about air in the fuel line. Apparently on the 2005, the HFCM is moved from previous models. A couple of replys mentioned the drive shaft...my HFCM is almost directly opposite the tranny. Plenty of room to get hand up above the plug so no fuel ran down my arm. Piece of cake! Thanks again! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.