High Pressure Oil Leak - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2005, 06:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
High Pressure Oil Leak

I noticed on Ford Dr's site, an article on high pressure oil leaks. One of the early warning signs could be longer crank times. My new 05 6.0 Excursion definetly cranks longer than my last 6.0 did.......sometimes as long as 5 seconds. Question is: What IS a normal crank time......and lets assume no block heater plug used, and we can also assume an ambient temp of say, 50 degreees.
Thanks in advance!
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2005, 08:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Re: High Pressure Oil Leak

[ QUOTE ]
I noticed on Ford Dr's site, an article on high pressure oil leaks. One of the early warning signs could be longer crank times. My new 05 6.0 Excursion definetly cranks longer than my last 6.0 did.......sometimes as long as 5 seconds. Question is: What IS a normal crank time......and lets assume no block heater plug used, and we can also assume an ambient temp of say, 50 degreees.
Thanks in advance!

[/ QUOTE ] I have noticed the later 6.0s will crank slightly longer and that is normal. If you have the high pressure oil leak most will not start when hot due to the leaking fitting at the HPOP. This is only on the 05s and later engines. I have no idea why they went to that POS quick disconnect fitting on the later engines. It is not a fun job to replace it.
FM
2000 Excursion Limited 4x4 Dark Satin Green Arizona Beige 7.3 DIT, AXDO, 3.73 LS, DP Tuner F5, TERMINATOR II w R-IPR, Adjustable Boost Regulator, Turbomaster, EBPV Delete, Air Dog, ITP Regulated Fuel Return, Fuel Cooler, Tags 1&2, Harpooned Tank, Magnaflow XL Exhaust w Aeroturbine 4040L, Sonnax/Tricumulator, 8 Autometer Sport Comp 4 Gauge A Pillar 4 Gauge Overhead, Ford APCM, Crimestopper Remote Starter With Remote Fast Idle, Ford AIS w Zoodad, W Code Front Modified B Code Rear springs, Rancho RS9000X, Rancho 5406 Stabilizer, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, BFG Rugged Trail TA, V10 Trans Cooler w Dual Electric Pusher Fans, Coolant Filter, IAH Delete, (((XM))) Line Of Fire Light, Ford Cab Lights, 05 Headlights w GOS Conversion Harness, Jimmi Jammers, 03 Lighted Painted Tow Mirrors w C-BETR, PSD Badges, Pullrite Hitch, Prodigy Brake Controller, Born 01/29/00
fordmastertech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2005, 12:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yep, I had that problem. No start hot, but started cold. replaced the quick disconnect and all is well. It took several days in the shop to fix because they had to order parts.

Dave
Old 12-31-2005, 05:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

I'm with you, man! My '05 did the same thing. The crank times gradually got longer and longer until that quick connect fitting finally failed. Boy when it did. However, it was repaired under warranty and I have had no more issues. Mine usually takes longer in cold weather, but, I guess that is the nature of the beast. Hope you have better luck in the future.

lvsqcsl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2005, 11:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)

i believe i have the same problem.
i am leaking powersteering fluid, as well as engine oil.
brought it to the dealer, they said it was the oil booster pump (which must be the HPOP). i am waiting for a new one to arrive.
Old 01-02-2006, 02:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

"Oil booster pump"? This is some pretty unique terminology....

"Be afwaid, be vewy, vewy afwaid." - Elmer Fudd
GrampyJim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2006, 06:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)

yeah.
i tried using the "search" feture on a few website forums, searching for "booster pump" and couldn't find much.
however, as far as i'm concerned, they can call it whatever they want, just as long as they fix my oil leaks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.