How Difficult Is It To Change the Rear Differential Bearings? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2009, 06:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How Difficult Is It To Change the Rear Differential Bearings?

As the title states, I think I have a bad bearing in the rear diff somewhere because with the rear jacked up, I can turn the rear by hand forward or reverse and it makes the same noise.(like a grinding bearing) Seems if it were the ring or pinion, moving the axle in reverse would run on the "coast" side of the ring and pinion witch doesn't get as much use or wear and should be quieter.

Has anyone here ever changed their bearings?

Also, do you have to set the diff backlash etc. when you change the bearings only? It sounds like it may be on one of the axles at the stump, but I am not sure. I haven't pulled the inspection plate yet, because I thought it may be more than I want to get into.

Thanks
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2009, 07:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

You need to take it apart some more. If it is the differential then I personally would let a drivetrain specialty shop fix it as there is a bit of know-how needed to set up axle gears once the bearings are replaced to make it last.

First off though I'd try to narrow it down a bit more, could be something as simple as worn out brake pads (metal to metal) or axle hub end bearings. You need to take it apart and do some individual component inspection.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:18 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (16)
Or parking brake.

Truck Pictorials on Facebook. Google - Facebook TooManyToys

Step Lights;Painted Flanges; Bypass Oil Filter; Heated Mirror Switch; Reverse Lights; 7.3L Fuel Reg Shim; 6 Disc Radio Speed Volume Mod; Coolant Filter, etc.
FMTRVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2009, 12:27 AM   #4 (permalink)

You won't need to re-set up the gears when just changing bearings. But removing bearing that are pressed on are, for all practical purposes, impossible for a back yard mechanic. However, you can pop the carrier out and take it down to the drive train shop and have them remove and reinstall the bearing for a nominal fee.

Although, the usual suspect for bearing noise is the outer bearings at the wheels. These are easy to remove and replace. But if the bearing are already too far gone, the metal floating around in the diff can take out the rest of the bearing in the center.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Cool

Brian:
I would be interested to know what you found out about your problem. I have 115000 on my truck and within the last couple days have heard a noise in the rear. It sounds like a aggressive tire tread on the roadway. Kinda like a howling. Especially at lower speeds. I couldnt find anything myself so I took it to my Ford dealer. I was told that the bearings in the rear differential are going out. Cost is at least $800 and may be much more depending on what they find. I was also told that some people drive like this for years with no problem but that cannot be guaranteed. I was also told though that the longer the problem exists, the more damage that can be done, hence, more money to fix. I am not able to do any of this type of work myself, and have to trust the dealer to be truthful with me. Not sure what Im gonna do yet.

Thanks
Steve
coldwar ranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2013, 07:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hey Steve, I guess this is an outdated post, but my 04 6.0L F250 Short Box Crew Cab (Blue) is doing the same thing. It has been making noise for a few weeks that sounds like a grinding or howling front end noise. I replaced front wheel bearing two weeks ago myself (which was a pretty good Job) and put new tires on it last week and it still makes the noise. I am about spent out! I took it to my local dealership and let my them diagnosis what I had already come to the conclusion of after a thorough check up running on jack stands! It is my rear end. They think they can change all bearings and a crushed sleeve and save my pinion gear itself. Cost about 1,100. I have had a hard time finding the source of this noise! Costly also I might ad! Good to find someone with similar experiences to read about.

Thanks
Lance
Old 12-19-2013, 11:03 AM   #7 (permalink)

Another rear end to add to the list. Mine sounds like off road tires going down the road. The worst part is I decided to have the fluid changed out last month (no noise) as preventitive maintenance. A month later I get the dreadful noise and an estimate of $600 just in parts. 2008 F350 6.4 w/ 177k on the ticker. So rear end overhaul next week along with an oil cooler replacement to bring down EOT closer to ECT. When the truck has no issues its a dream. But oh my when it needs repair the benjamins fly

2002 Excursion Limited 7.3 AFE, Sonax & Tricumalator Springs

SOLD:Y2K, CCshorty, NVK4, 4X4, 3:73LS, Acetoned badges, Rancho stabalizer, Maxiss Mudders 285/75/16s, zoodad, rhinoliner, sony deck, WD pyro, boost and tranny gauges on A-pillar. Pre-pump mod, in tankmod, H/X crossover line, Sonnax/Tricumalator springs, Bullydog 4"exhaust, AFE intake, Silver Stars and "Diesel Inovations custom 2 stage chip", Rielys IAT plug, fumoto valve, boost relief valve,TC Switch and Extra reverse lights,$10 AIC and Gt38r.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] Hers- 2002 Excursion Limited 4x2 Powerstroke[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]Pre-pump, H/X hose, Fumoto Valve,AFE and Zoodad.
psdpower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2013, 06:40 AM   #8 (permalink)

very easy to change out the bearings in a diff.

just take the truck down to a rear-end shop. NOT the dealer.

plunk down your cc. and weep😤

also take this time to add a locking diff,
detroits are best...so long as you stay off ice.

the air activated "arb" locking diff is second best.
but you have to have on board air. only true down is co$t.

limited-slips are just junk.

hows the gear ratio doing for you?
change time?
4X4 gots to do both front and rear, ratios MUST be the same.
for now just a stocker set up for pulling a fifth wheel, and moto transport.
N 38*09*900
W 120*49*900
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2013, 07:51 AM   #9 (permalink)

Anytime you make a change to the rear end you need to run through the gear setup. Over the years I have seen running changes in bearing cone thickness, necessitating different pinion shims, and since you will not be able to reuse your factory side shims you will need to set the backlash again. I would never advise just throwing bearings in it and thinking all will be well.

A good master bearing kit is going to run you in the neighborhood of $200. I would only run Koyo, Timken, or SKF bearings. There are Chinese knock offs out there that are junk.

If you address it early on you can probably save your ring & pinion. Continuing to run with bad bearings will eventually cause a failure, lock up the rear and now we're into big money.

How hard is all this? Depends on your level of experience and ability to learn new things, plus what tools you have available. A press comes in very handy, but isn't 100% necessary. I rebuilt rears and transmissions for years without a press. You can cut the old bearings off with a whiz wheel and drive the new ones on with brass punches. A press saves you time. Making set up bearings is also a good idea. With a die grinder and a brake hone you can enlarge the ID enough to get a slip fit, allowing you to figure out shim thickness before pressing the final bearings on. To set the crush sleeve...no, don't use a crush sleeve, get a solid spacer kit for like $15. The crush sleeves cause a lot of rear failures. I've never been a fan. A solid spacer is a lot easier to get right because it isn't one time use. You will need a drag gauge or low reading in/lbs torque wrench (tricky, but works in a pinch). Old timers can do this by feel, but I need to check it somehow. If you feel like tackling it I can walk you through it. I've set up many rears, and have yet to have one fail or make noise.
'06 F250 4x4 - 5" Flo Pro exhaust, SB Filter intake, Accufab elbow, Edge Evolution (monitoring only), SCT w/ ID custom tune, FASS 195 pump, Gillette Diesel EGR cooler delete, Sinister Diesel coolant filter, ELC coolant, updated turbo drain tube/oil feed line/STC fitting/oil cooler, ARPs w/OEM HGs, Elite coolant lines, ITP RR fuel system, Warren Diesel 175cc injectors, Powermax, BD CCV, FICM.com FICM w/ ID tune, Elite UP, BPD water pump - 13.069 @ 101.94

'02 WRX - Outback rear disc swap, EBC green pads, DBA pillar vane rotors, TXS UP/TBE/TMIC, Perrin LW crank pulley, PPG billet steel shift forks, ACT Streetlite flywheel & clutch, K&N filter, STi Group N motor/trans mounts, TiC/Kartboy rear diff mounts/subframe lock bolts/outrigger stiffeners, Kartboy SS & all shifter bushings, custom PDX tune for Cobb AP - went 14.1 on a terrible 60ft before most of these mods; shooting for 13.50s
TKOPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2013, 07:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

Happy to say I can scratch my truck off the list. I jumped to conclusion and almost got HOSED.

Shop let truck leave with 3qts instead of 3 1/2. Once I added the 1/2qt of RP all noise was gone

2002 Excursion Limited 7.3 AFE, Sonax & Tricumalator Springs

SOLD:Y2K, CCshorty, NVK4, 4X4, 3:73LS, Acetoned badges, Rancho stabalizer, Maxiss Mudders 285/75/16s, zoodad, rhinoliner, sony deck, WD pyro, boost and tranny gauges on A-pillar. Pre-pump mod, in tankmod, H/X crossover line, Sonnax/Tricumalator springs, Bullydog 4"exhaust, AFE intake, Silver Stars and "Diesel Inovations custom 2 stage chip", Rielys IAT plug, fumoto valve, boost relief valve,TC Switch and Extra reverse lights,$10 AIC and Gt38r.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] Hers- 2002 Excursion Limited 4x2 Powerstroke[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]Pre-pump, H/X hose, Fumoto Valve,AFE and Zoodad.
psdpower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.