how long should I warm up and cool down - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2006, 12:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
how long should I warm up and cool down

I just got my new 2006 250 4x4 Supercab 6.0l diesel 6spd. I have been reading the owners manual to determine warm up time and cool down times. The only thing I have found is cool down 7-10 minutes after long distances of high turbo boost and towing. Most of my driving is either around town, or roughly 20minutes each way on the interstate. I usually try to stay between 60-70mph. I don't push the engine hard. Some of the other forums have said to let the engine temperature come up to normal before driving away. That would take about 20minutes of idleing which I have read is also not good for 6.0.

What is a good rule of thumb for warm up periods and cool down periods for drivers that are more ( commuters than towers )? Is it also outside temperature dependant? I have noticed that the engine gets much quieter once it reaches normal operating temperature. Am I damaging the engine by starting out before it comes up to temperature? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

tedbiv
tedbiv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2006, 12:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)
Re: how long should I warm up and cool down

yes if it idles too long the cat will fill up with unburned hydrocarbons. if you turn it on and let it sit with out pushing any pedals it should have an automatic high idle at about 1000 rpm that is enough to get the egts over 300 and it will speed up the time. if for some reason it doesnt work or you want it higher you can get certain tuners or if you have upfitter switches you can use one of them for it just wire it in there are directions on this site somewhere. for cool i always just let it get to >399 egt if im around town it takes seconds and if i just pulled 9k up a 15 mile 6% maybe 3 minutes. if you dont have a pyro just wait 10 seconds and if you tow 2 minutes. as you said you dont push it. i run the crap out of mine.
My favorite toy: Core i7 920@3.8ghz in Azza Hurrican 2000, liquid cooled cpu, Asus P6x58D-Premium motherboard on a shelf replaced with MSI Big Bang X Power x58, EVGA GTX 295s quad sli on a shelf replaced with 3 EVGA GTX 580 Hydro Copper 2 FTW tri SLI, 128GB SATA III Crucial Real SSD, Western Digital 500GB 7200rpm HD for storage, 12GB of ram@1600Mhz, 1100w power supply

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLK6GPMZmi0

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2618644287.png

2005 F350 cc, sb, Lariat, EDE SCT X3, 205cc injectors, Powermax HO, 5 inch mbrp exhaust, suncoast torque converter, outlook monitor, two tone blue and silver funtional ram air hood, 35x12.50x18 BFG MT KM2, Rancho RS9000XL with My Ride, ARB front and rear lockers.
1941 Willys Americar Coupe
2007 Mazdaspeed 6
2009 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2012 Ford Focus SEL Sterling Grey
jgoff78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2006, 12:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

No, I don't have a pyro. Is there another way to determine if it's warmed up enough? Like waiting for the engine temp guage to move off of lowest setting? My diesel jetta manual says start it up and drive off. I know they are totally different types of engines. With as much as it costs to buy and maintain this engine, I want to treat it right.

thanks for the response

tedbiv
Old 05-08-2006, 12:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)

Some will say forever.... some will say not any time at all....

personally, I use the remote start and by the time I am at the truck I go... now I don't go full throttle at first - at least until it comes up to temps.... but drive "normally", then drive like a bat out of Hades [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

cool down ? this is my third diesel and have never once used the cool down feature of my remote start....

now if I were towing 20K lbs up a 10% grade at full throttle, I may not shut it down for a minute or two.... but other than that I drive it like I drive it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

they are tougher than some believe [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-08-2006, 12:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Must be nice. My remote start is go outside and start the truck before I go in to get my coffee. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-08-2006, 01:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (25)

I drive about 20 minutes to work every day and the truck doesn't reach "normal" temperatures until about 2/3's of the way there. There is no way in heck I'm going to sit there and wait that long to let it get to "normal" temps.

I watch the oil pressure, wait about 5-10 SECONDS after that and drive it slowly out of my subdivision. When I get to the main road, about 1 minutes or, I pull out into traffic and drive the truck. I don't romp on it in the mornings, afternoon ride is home is different, however.

I don't let it idle excessivly when I shut down either. Max 30 seconds or so in town, maybe a minute or two when freeway/towing driving. I watch the EGT and when it gets below 375 or so, close enough.

Al
Old 05-08-2006, 02:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks Albin,
that's pretty much what I do. Make sure the oil pressure comes up, wait 10-30 seconds, drive slowly out of the neighborhood. Although I heard the guages have been dummied up so they don't respond very quickly to changes in temperature and pressure.

tedbiv
Old 05-08-2006, 09:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

I let it warm up for about one minute, then I drive it easy until I get out of my sub-division. Once on the main road watch out. Cool down while pulling is just the time it takes me to level and un-hitch the fifth wheel.By that time, the temps should be low enough.
Two teacup chihuhuas, Zoe and Dori-guard dogs of course
sandog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.