How Often Oil Change - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2006, 07:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How Often Oil Change

I'll be buying my 2006 Super Duty this week with the 6.0L diesel. Would someone tell please tell me how often (mileage) the oil is supposed to be changed? I tried the search but didn't find it.
Thanks,
Jeff
hyperslug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2006, 07:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (16)
Re: How Often Oil Change

7500 miles for regular driving habits, 5000 for heavy duty use(towing and such). I change my oil at 5k.
Welcome to the forum [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
2005 F250 6.0 PSD CC Auto, Dk toreador red/Ariz beige,Lariat Luxury 4x4 SB,TT Mirrors,Camper PKG,Roof lights,ADJ pedals,REV aid,Trailer hitch,TOW COMMAND,ESOF,PWR rear window,3.73 posi,SIRIUS SAT radio. Built 08/09/04
2005 F250 SIRUS RADIO

2002 BUYBACK bad paint F250 7.3 PSD Auto CC Lariat 4x4 SB, TT mirrors,Camper pkg,Grille insert,Hood shield,Tow pkg,Adj pedals,Shift on fly,Trailer brake,Spray in bedliner,Dk highland green w/tan.
2002 F250
south_paw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2006, 08:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

Jeff, you're going to get a wide variety of numbers. I change my oil every 3000 miles. I also send a sample into Blackstone for analysis. So far, I've been getting excellent results.

One thing is for sure, oil in a diesel will get dirty, particulate dirty. Yes, you can add one of those $300-$500 bypass filters and try to extend your interval, but the bottom line is particulates suspended in the oil. Some bypass filters work better than others. I know some that have had good luck with them.

I choose to change the oil at 3000 miles and not deal with added cost and time of bypass filters. In the long term, you will spend about the same.

At $7.50/gal of dino oil, you'll spend $26.25 for an oil change. Add the $20 Motorcraft filter, you are at $46.25.

This comes to .0154 cents per mile, based on 3000 miles per oil/filter change.

Now, extended your interval to 5000 with a bypass filter...

Oil: $26.25
OEM Filter: $20
Bypass filter: $20
Investment for hardware: $16.66 (based on 150000 mile payback)
Total: $82.91

This comes to .0165 cents per mile.

A total difference of .0011 cents per mile more using the bypass filter... Now this isn't much, only $5.50 per oil change, thus the equivalent cost to change oil at 3000 vs 5000 with a by-pass filter.

Ford recommends 5000 miles between il changes as the maximum. They do not recommend extended oil changes, even with a bypass filter.

Rememeber one thing.. These engines like to tear up oil. You will loose viscosity. The 40W will turn to 30W in approx. 1200 miles.

Enjoy..
parcours is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2006, 08:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)

7500 miles and approaching 60,000 miles total. Blackstone report shows no issues.
Traded March 2013
2008 F450 CC Lariat White/Gold, JAD Solutions Lights, 62 Gal Titan, B&W Hitch, Gold Remote Start, TruckTrunk box, Viair 550+2x2.5gal receiver, 2010 NAV and Sync
---------------------
Traded In Nov 07:
2003 F250 CC LB XLT 4x2 PowerStroke, Captains Chairs, White/Parchment, Torqshift, Heated Mirrors, Trailer hitch
guardrail22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2006, 10:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

I agree with 5k on the oil change, or less. It's the easiest, and most important maintenence you can perform to keep you rig running.
grandma99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2006, 10:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

3500 first oil change, 5000 after that.

Ford Remote Start; High idle mod; Timbren load levelers, Scangauge II, Blue Spring upgrade, Quick Start 200 amp large frame alternator replacement, 2 batteries January 2010; GPCM replace October 2011; 2 EGR valves; EGR Cooler replaced 12/30/11; Performance Machine & Mfg. coolant filter added 1/2/12; Rotella T6 5W40 oil; turned rotors and replaced brake pads for 1st time 1/7/12 101K miles; GPCM, both subharnesses and all 8 glowplugs replaced 1/5/13 at 118,000 miles; 2 Ford batteries replaced under battery warranty; FICM power supply board replaced with Dorman board 11/20/13.
Ford06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2006, 08:08 AM   #7 (permalink)

Ditto to Ford06.
2013 F-350 Lariat "Platinum" in Ruby Red with Charcoal Interior, 6.7 "Scorpion Diesel", SRW, Short Box, 3.55 locking rear end and all the other goodies except moonroof...Not any more...T Boned in April...off to the salvage yard for the pretty girl.

Sold-2006 F-350 Lariat, 6.0 PSD, Torqueshift auto trans, crew cab, SRW, short box.
Peter3540 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2006, 10:13 AM   #8 (permalink)

Why would you change the oil so often? The owners manual says 7500 miles for normal operation, 5000 miles for severe use. My VW tdi says first at 5000 after that every 10,000. Who do we beleive? The engine designers or others....

I've been following this forum for a while. Man, what a spread of oil change intervals. I'm sooo confused..... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
tedbiv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2006, 10:37 AM   #9 (permalink)

Flame me all you want, but 3k as an interval is a waste of money, time, and effort. Unless you're pounding the living crap out of this thing every day, it's simply overkill.

I'm going 5-7 depending on how much towing I do.

If I were towing max loads through an oil field somewhere, I guess 3k would make sense, or aybe for people that commute in heavy traffic everyday (lots of idling) as they be would be at risk of having some fuel buildup in their oil.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:38 AM   #10 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Who do we beleive? The engine designers or others....

[/ QUOTE ]

At the minimum, go by what the owners manual says, that way your not jeapordizing your warranty. If you want to change more often, go for it as the only thing it should affect is your wallet. I do mine btw 3500 and 4000 miles.
Aluminess Front/Rear Bumpers.
125W Solar Panel.
Sportsmobile Trailer on 285/75R16 BFG AT/KO tires w/ dual deep cycle marine batteries, water pump, 10 gal water storage, air compressor, storage box & 15W Solar Panel.
SnowMan Mod / Door Seal Mod
"Blue Spring" Upgrade
ridintall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2006, 10:46 AM   #11 (permalink)

I changed the factory oil and filter at 1000 miles, then again at 3000 miles. Now I go every 3000, cheap insurance for a VERY expensive engine. I use only Motorcraft oil and filters.

http://community.webshots.com/user/FineFord
FINE69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2006, 11:03 AM   #12 (permalink)

I can understand the shortened interval for those who are "using" their trucks for what they were intended. But for those of us who are doing highway commuting most of the time, doesn't it make sense to not change so often? Just my $0.02.

Also, I was not flaming anyone in my previous post, just observing that there is a large window of suggestions. Sorry if I offended anyone. Maybe the suggested intervals should be bounded by severity of use. I agree towing, hauling, dirty, hot, cold environments deserve better/more frequent care, but for us urban truckers that mostly commute, I think the owners manual is a starting place.

What do you think?
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vulnerable.gif[/img]
tedbiv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2006, 11:21 AM   #13 (permalink)

My Photos: (12)

[ QUOTE ]
What do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you. The owner's manual couldn't be more clear. I'll admit to splurging for quality oil (Delvac), but don't feel the slightest bit of worry in following recommended intervals. 3k mile oil changes are a complete waste of money and natural resources.

As an aside, I don't like the way my local dealer insists on the 3k changes. Their latest letter pushing servicing mentioned the truck's warranty in such a way as to imply that it's in jeopardy if "recommended intervals" aren't followed. In other words, to the less informed consumer, it reads like their made up 3k changes are required for warranty preservation. IMHO, FMC should put a stop to this nonsense.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:21 AM   #14 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
I can understand the shortened interval for those who are "using" their trucks for what they were intended. But for those of us who are doing highway commuting most of the time, doesn't it make sense to not change so often? Just my $0.02.

Also, I was not flaming anyone in my previous post, just observing that there is a large window of suggestions. Sorry if I offended anyone. Maybe the suggested intervals should be bounded by severity of use. I agree towing, hauling, dirty, hot, cold environments deserve better/more frequent care, but for us urban truckers that mostly commute, I think the owners manual is a starting place.

What do you think?
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vulnerable.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, the manual is the place to start and then tweak depending on your driving/conditions.

My van see's 90% hwy use with light 4Wheeling on the weekends in the summer. It stay's parked most of the fall/winter with maybe one trip every few weeks.

One thing I've been wondering about is mileage versus time. Since my van stay's parked mostly in the fall/winter, the oil could be in the engine from 4-6 month's before it's time to change based on mileage.

I switched to Rotella Syn 5W40 for this past winter. It's been in there since November and it still has only about 2000 miles on it. Any thoughts on whether I should change it now since it's getting warmer and been in there 6 months, or just change it when mileage dictates.

thanks
Aluminess Front/Rear Bumpers.
125W Solar Panel.
Sportsmobile Trailer on 285/75R16 BFG AT/KO tires w/ dual deep cycle marine batteries, water pump, 10 gal water storage, air compressor, storage box & 15W Solar Panel.
SnowMan Mod / Door Seal Mod
"Blue Spring" Upgrade
ridintall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2006, 11:25 AM   #15 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)

Since mine is only used for about 600 miles a month, I have my oil changed every 6 months. I believe the manual states 7500 miles or six months, whichever comes first.
2006 F250 Lariat CC SB 2WD Dark Toreador Red w/ Arizona Beige accent, Captain Chairs, polished tubular steps, moonroof, power slider, camper pkg., 6 disc CD, adj. pedals, upfitter switches, reverse vehicle aid sensors, tow command, 12.5k tow hitch, billet grille inserts & Leer color-matched tonneau cover.

1969 Mustang SportsRoof
1969 Mustang Grande 428CJ 1 of 37
1989 Mustang GT Conv. 21k miles

http://www.cardomain.com/id/69grandecj
69grandecj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.