Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com (http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain (http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f23/)
-   -   HPOP Replacement Instructions/ Procedures (http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f23/hpop-replacement-instructions-procedures-226713/)

jnobles06 04-22-2009 05:17 PM

HPOP Replacement Instructions/ Procedures

I got a quote from a shop saying $1600 + tax and i figured i know enough about cars i can do it my self and spend the money im saving on and egr cooler bypass, external oil filter, head studs, tuner and injector/glow plug seals while im doing all this work to prevent future problems. So, does anyone know where i can get some good instructions on the removal? Does the haynes or chiltons have it in their manual? I did a search on this site as well as on yahoo to try and find a write up but i couldn't. So if no one can give me a write up i'll probably end up doing one just so people that are mechanically inclined enough wont have to get ripped off paying $80/hr for labor. Thanks Guys.

BP6.0 04-22-2009 06:08 PM

What year is your truck. If it is a 2006, it is most likely the stc fitting or the d-rings on the hpor. The hpop on these trucks are pretty reliable. The early model 6.0's had the problems with the hpop gear.

jnobles06 04-22-2009 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BP6.0 (Post 1722761)
What year is your truck. If it is a 2006, it is most likely the stc fitting or the d-rings on the hpor. The hpop on these trucks are pretty reliable. The early model 6.0's had the problems with the hpop gear.

its an 04' it threw a p2285 icp ciruit low. it wont start and was idling really rough before the no start. i already replaced the icp and fuel filters. i checked for a clogged cat as well. i also performed the balloon test to see if air was in the fuel system. i think its just an hpop seal but that means i still gotta remove it to replace the seals.

BP6.0 04-22-2009 07:42 PM

I just had the same problem, but my truck would start and run fine but I would get a miss at highway speeds. The Ford tech replaced the icp sensor, but it did not change a thing, he then changed the IPR valve, problem solved. The two sensors work in sequence with each other and are hard to tell which one is bad. That is what the tech told me. He also said that if it was not the IPR valve, it would most likely lead to a oil leak in the HPOS.

jnobles06 04-22-2009 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BP6.0 (Post 1722802)
I just had the same problem, but my truck would start and run fine but I would get a miss at highway speeds. The Ford tech replaced the icp sensor, but it did not change a thing, he then changed the IPR valve, problem solved. The two sensors work in sequence with each other and are hard to tell which one is bad. That is what the tech told me. He also said that if it was not the IPR valve, it would most likely lead to a oil leak in the HPOS.

yeah, i know. this weekend i'm going to pull the ipr just to make sure there isn't any junk in there clogging it up. when i pull the hpop im going to replace the ipr. if its not bad now it will probably go bad soon after. so, i figured i would just do it while i already have my hands dirty.

OT 04-22-2009 11:20 PM

J..look at pg.76 may help Powerstroke 6.0L Technical Intro Manual Good luck!

btw...if u make a sig. for your truck etc. we dont have to ask..what yr. etc. :icon_rolleyes: TIA