I think I have a bad FICM - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2011, 11:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I think I have a bad FICM

The truck has had a stutter in it for a while now, mainly while towing, but it has gotten worse. I have noticed an exhaust smell getting stronger lately but there is no smoke of any kind at any time. I have replaced the FICM twice before but that was when the dealer said that was the issue. I have done the test on it and I have 48v not running and a steady 47.8v while running. I know this doesn't necessarily mean the FICM is OK and I think it is bad, but with the price of these things I thought I would ask and try to make sure before I just go buy one. I have not had a chance to buy a scanner yet so don't know if there are any codes. I replaced the alternator about 6 months ago and batteries are a few years old.I am hard on the batteries and do drain them occasionally as I work out of the truck a lot. Does this sound like the FICM is bad and if so would the repair for these things be a good option or should I just break down and buy a new one?

2004 F350 DRW Crew Cab 6.0
Sheetrockman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2011, 01:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

What we also need is the cold start voltage off the FICM. Anything below 43.5 volts for more than a few seconds would indicate one going south so to speak. This electrical system depends on batts that are at or near a full state of charge. You may need to charge and load test them at least three times a year. Are you running an inverter? Post the cold start voltage when you can. Also run by one of the auto stores and see if you have any codes. Repair if bad is a great option! b
03 F-250 CC LB XLT 3:73 rear/ almost stock/ early build/ 78,000 miles...03 F-250 ext cab Lariat Fx4 SB 3:73's /stock/187,000 all original injectors...FICM by Ed @FICM.COM / ScanGuage 2 monitoring the vitals...

Last edited by 03powerstrokeuser; 09-08-2011 at 01:40 PM.
03powerstrokeuser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2011, 11:52 AM   #3 (permalink)

I rented the code scout 2500b reader from O'Reilly's and it says no codes and 2 of 3 readiness monitors ready. I have been watching videos on you tube and now I am wondering if the FICM is my issue or the ICP is. Any direction would sure be appreciated.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheetrockman View Post
I rented the code scout 2500b reader from O'Reilly's and it says no codes and 2 of 3 readiness monitors ready. I have been watching videos on you tube and now I am wondering if the FICM is my issue or the ICP is. Any direction would sure be appreciated.
First test the FICM so you know if it's good or bad. It's very simple all you need is a voltmeter. FICM Testing Videos
Old 09-09-2011, 01:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have tested the FICM and I get 48v key on, 47.4v cranking and 47.4v running. It lopes along like it is getting fuel then no fuel, fuel no fuel, but doesn't normally die. If it does die then it will usually restart right away.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

FICM voltages look ok. Does the truck try to surge forward at all with the brake on like when stopped at a light? Also the exhaust smell you mentioned, see if you can grab a telescoping mirror and check the firewall area for sooting. Check for a cracked y-pipe.
03 F-250 CC LB XLT 3:73 rear/ almost stock/ early build/ 78,000 miles...03 F-250 ext cab Lariat Fx4 SB 3:73's /stock/187,000 all original injectors...FICM by Ed @FICM.COM / ScanGuage 2 monitoring the vitals...

Last edited by 03powerstrokeuser; 09-09-2011 at 08:52 PM. Reason: add info
Old 09-09-2011, 11:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

The truck does not lurch at all. it just runs, dies, runs, dies at idle and even when rpm is up but does not lurch in any way.

Old 09-10-2011, 03:20 AM   #8 (permalink)

I have recently had this problem. I would strongly recommend that you look at the ICP sensor, because the FICM relies on what the ICP tells it. I have an 03, and for that year the ICP was known to go bad and screw with the FICM. I just got the problem fixed today and my truck has been running MUCH better. Have yet to cold start it, but I think this probably fixed the issue.

ICP sensor and install was 250. Mechanic said you have to sometimes get a new wire harness with the new ICP sensor (my sensor was leaking).

Good Luck!
BWP3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2011, 03:37 AM   #9 (permalink)

???

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03powerstrokeuser View Post
FICM voltages look ok. Does the truck try to surge forward at all with the brake on like when stopped at a light? Also the exhaust smell you mentioned, see if you can grab a telescoping mirror and check the firewall area for sooting. Check for a cracked y-pipe.

Just curious about your inquire about the truck surge at a stop and brake on... Mine just started this. What could cause this? I had a bad FICM 48V before cranking, 24V while running. cold starts= fire up and die, kill the batteries trying to get running unless truck was plugged in for a couple hours. Temps about 35 here at night. Thanks for any info!
2004 Ford F350 Mods: Fabtech 6"; 4 1/2" turbo back exhaust (no cats); 20" Mickey's Classics; 40" Mud Grapplers; Banks Six-Gun with loader; Polk Marine component sound system; Pro-Comp front/Rear Ladder bars and of course, the K&N ha-ha
brettrose99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2011, 05:52 AM   #10 (permalink)

Truck surge at idle with the brake on would indicate a failing icp sensor and harness. The surge is quite noticeable! 24 volts cranking on the FICM with good batts. would indicate a bad FICM. Sheetrockman, I would check the fuel filters. how many miles on them and are they oem/racor?
Old 09-19-2011, 08:13 PM   #11 (permalink)

Filters are clean and I dont remember if they were OEM or not. My truck dies not move with this issue I am having in the engine. It is a die, run, die, run and will do it at 70 mph or just sitting at the stop light.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:34 PM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JVogel
Joining the ranks of FICM issues

Mine was only evident on starting. Cranking longer and longer on some starts and then just like normal on others. I had my truck in for Oil and Fuel filter change and they discovered that I have a FICM showing failure. So now Its sitting for a week since my Air Handler at the house decided to go out the same day. I will be glad when this week is done. I have to fix the AC at home first, then I will get the FICM and hopefully EGR delete done at the same time.
Jeff

Toy 2006 HD Ultra Classic
Oldies and Missed
99 F250 4x4 Deep Wdgewood Blue (Favorite)
97 250 4x4 Red
94 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 but 460 ga$$er
JVogel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2011, 04:01 PM   #13 (permalink)

FICM modules ususally put out a P0611 which is a FICM module code. We call that the FICM code of death. You can try reprogramming them but it usually will only be a temporary fix. Usually bad modules are noticeable from multiple injector codes. The only way to really diagnose a 6.0L misfire is with Fords IDS tool. Our shop bought one to help with injector issues. If you end up getting a FICM module the book time (that includes programming) is 2 hours and the module runs around $750.
Recon Projection Headlights, AFE Exhaust,
Katzkin Leather, Smittybilt M1 Grill
Bilstein 5160 Shocks, 20" Rigid LED Light,
Firestone Airbags
spedkid94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2011, 04:12 PM   #14 (permalink)

Took it to the dealer and it turned out to be a stud wore through and shorted a wire in the harness.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:46 AM   #15 (permalink)

I have the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheetrockman View Post
Took it to the dealer and it turned out to be a stud wore through and shorted a wire in the harness.
I May have the same problem. Do you have any info on what stud, What wire??
jhelms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.