The Diesel Stop banner

ICP Sensor

26K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  1914fatboy 
#1 ·
Tired of :ford: run around.:nono: Can anyone tell me if it is hard to change an ICP sensor on a 2006 PS? And does it have to be reprogrammed after changing it? :ford: keeps reprogramming PCM and giving it back to me to only start doing hard surges again @ the stop lights and trying to push me out into the intersection, or no responding to the throttle @ all. Query of the forum for symptoms all indicate to faulty ICP sensor, changes fixed issues. Third time in the shop for same issue. No codes, not problems :ford:.

Defintion of Insanity : Doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different result !!!!!

#2 · (Edited)
The ICP sensor is located in the middle of the passenger side valve cover toward the front of the engine. Just unplug and unscrew. The PCM does not need to be reprogrammed, but it would not hurt to disconnect the power to the PCM and let it relearn engine parameters. You can do that by removing fuse number 10 in the under hood fuse box for 30 seconds while the key is in the off position.

#3 ·
Thanks ritschner, I've asked that they check it again while in the shop, but doubt they will. If not, i'll just go buy a new sensor (probably a million $$$, thats why ford won't change, even under warranty) and change myself. Thanks again.

#4 ·
ICP Sensor A Cinch!

Hello!
I want to Thank You guys. My 2005 F350 PSD was at Ford for 6 working
days. They tore apart the whole EGR System...pressure tested the EGR
Cooler...supposedly replaced the EGR Valve with a new one (there is evidence that this valve is my same old valve and not a new one) They also
drove the carp out my truck...Everything was EVERYWHERE! I have yet to
be able to rearrange things in my truck like that and I drive pretty hard.
The truck wasnt throwing a code so Ford giving it their best educated guess
thought it was the EGR System. It wasnt. My truck is still exhibiting the same symptoms as before I took it in for its Week Long EGR overhaul, has been stalling upon start-up...having a very Erratic Idle (+/-250 rpm) ...and when at a stop it tries to launch when the RPM"S in the Erratic Idle bounce up and down. Since I didnt have time to take my truck back to Ford for another Run-Around (this is my work truck) I went online here...Looking for answers. The list on the ICP Sensor # 4C3Z-9F838-A was $252...IF you have a nice parts guy you can probably pick it up for $119. It took me 10 minutes to install (and Im a girl! LOL!) and that was including disconnecting the batteries. This sensor is on the Passenger side "Fuel Rail" up on top of the valve cover. I used a 12 point box end 15/16" wrench (shaped like an "L" looking at it from the side) to drop over the top of it. A bit of a trick as there is a little silver Box with fins that is right next to the sensor.. and you have to deal with the Intercooler tube too .but you can wiggle the wrench in. Truck runs like a top now!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

#5 ·
Hello!
I want to Thank You guys. My 2005 F350 PSD was at Ford for 6 working
days. They tore apart the whole EGR System...pressure tested the EGR
Cooler...supposedly replaced the EGR Valve with a new one (there is evidence that this valve is my same old valve and not a new one) They also
drove the carp out my truck...Everything was EVERYWHERE! I have yet to
be able to rearrange things in my truck like that and I drive pretty hard.
The truck wasnt throwing a code so Ford giving it their best educated guess
thought it was the EGR System. It wasnt. My truck is still exhibiting the same symptoms as before I took it in for its Week Long EGR overhaul, has been stalling upon start-up...having a very Erratic Idle (+/-250 rpm) ...and when at a stop it tries to launch when the RPM"S in the Erratic Idle bounce up and down. Since I didnt have time to take my truck back to Ford for another Run-Around (this is my work truck) I went online here...Looking for answers. The list on the ICP Sensor # 4C3Z-9F838-A was $252...IF you have a nice parts guy you can probably pick it up for $119. It took me 10 minutes to install (and Im a girl! LOL!) and that was including disconnecting the batteries. This sensor is on the Passenger side "Fuel Rail" up on top of the valve cover. I used a 12 point box end 15/16" wrench (shaped like an "L" looking at it from the side) to drop over the top of it. A bit of a trick as there is a little silver Box with fins that is right next to the sensor.. and you have to deal with the Intercooler tube too .but you can wiggle the wrench in. Truck runs like a top now!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111
Cool! Glad you got it fixed; I'd tell Ford about this dealer's ineptitude as well. Then you can come over and tackle the same job on my 03 - the ICP sensor is under the turbo - it'll be a barrell of laughs!

#6 ·
03 is a cake walk. get from the bottom of the truck hole lot easier i have put 2 that i can rememberin mine bring it to me very easy fix

#7 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.