ICP sensor - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2009, 11:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ICP sensor

Hello I have a 2005 F-250 4x4 cc sb with 6.0 6-speed xl with 109000 miles on it and honestly this is my first problem with the motor. The problem ive been having has been going on for about 4 months slowly getting worse. I have long cranking starts, very low idle, and no throttle response when you hit the pedal or at least really delayed throttle response.Really no smoke that I can see. sometimes it fine and all of a sudden you will stop at a light mand the trottle will drop to around 400-500 rpms and thats when you sart getting the delays in the throttle. Sometime I shut it off and restart it and it will help sometimes not.my filters only have about 800 mile on them and they are ford brand.this morning I went out and unplugged the ICP and it started faster than it has in months so I shut it off and plugged it back in and it seems to be starting and running fine but I do have a CEL on. I was wondering if I solved my problem and need to replace the ICP or what you guys think. The truck is all stock and I dont have a code reader and the only CEL I have ever had during all of this was this morning when I unplugged the ICP. sorry for the long post Im just trying to give all the info I can. Thanks Any help would be a lot of help.
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2009, 11:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

Sounds like if it started with the ICP disconnected, then it is bad.
Ljutic SS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2009, 12:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

thats what I kind of thought but I hate to throw parts at something and not fix the problem but I also dont like throwing money at a dealership. Is there a way to test these ICP sensors with a meter or something
Old 08-16-2009, 02:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

I don't know the exact voltage reading, but it is suppose to read 500+PSI oil pressure when cranking.
Ljutic SS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2009, 11:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

when you unplug the icp it defaults to 500psi and will start and run you will just get a cel light, you need atleast .85volts on the icp. i would suggest spending $350 on auto enginuity software so you can plug a laptop in and monitor all of the sensors and you can also buzz test the injectors
halerazor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2009, 07:10 AM   #6 (permalink)

Similar Intermittant Idle and throttle issues on mine just begining. Dealer appt next week.
StinkyDiesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2009, 06:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

thanks for the info where would I find the auto enginuity software at? is there a sponser that sells it. Can I clear CEL's and read codes with that, sorry if questions sound dumb Im not up on some of the newer software. Thanks
Old 08-17-2009, 10:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Auto Enginuity Scan Tool - PC Based sells it not sure if there a member here. yes you can read codes with it, my friend had a starting problem with his and had no codes we thought it was something in the high pressure oil system most likelythe hpop but after he bought auto enginuity we were able to see that the crankshaft and camshaft sposition sensors were not in sync and that the camshaft position sensor was bad the sensor cost him $50 and the software paid for itself.

Last edited by halerazor; 08-17-2009 at 10:31 PM.
halerazor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2009, 08:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

thks for the info on the scan tool I will look in to that seems like a big money saver. On a little update on the truck I bought the ICP sensor tonight $153.00 and installed it in about 2 minutes and the truck seems to be running fine and the CEL went out after about the second time I started it. It starts faster and has more throttle response than Ive seen in a long time so hopefully its good for a while. Thats the first part other than maintance stuff Ive had to buy for it with 109000 miles so thats not too bad. But I guess with the milage the ICP sensor could be considerd a normal maintance item thanks everybody for the help
Old 08-19-2009, 12:28 AM   #10 (permalink)

Backed the truck out of the garage over the weekend and it started doing a rough, high idle, subsequently threw the P2285 CEL code, and began intermittent surging. (Yeah, hold the brake firmly.)

Research indicates the ICP Sensor and connector needs to be replaced, and that on the 2003's it's not so easy to access. Seeing the sensor available for just over $100 (no, not at FoMoCo!), I thought I'd see what the local Ford garages charge for such a task.

Buyer Beware! Four different dealerships quote pricing anywhere from $369.99 to $900. So if you can't do it yourself, check around before you turn it in.

At least it happened after completing our 2410 mile trip with the travel trailer to the Wyoming Big Horn Mountains for family reunion and camping.

Looks like I'll be doing this one myself...
Old 08-20-2009, 07:45 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudkings View Post
thks for the info on the scan tool I will look in to that seems like a big money saver. On a little update on the truck I bought the ICP sensor tonight $153.00 and installed it in about 2 minutes and the truck seems to be running fine and the CEL went out after about the second time I started it. It starts faster and has more throttle response than Ive seen in a long time so hopefully its good for a while. Thats the first part other than maintance stuff Ive had to buy for it with 109000 miles so thats not too bad. But I guess with the milage the ICP sensor could be considerd a normal maintance item thanks everybody for the help
i need to change mine.. can you explain where it is located and what you had to do to take it off and replace it....also im having a leak that is coming from the back of my engine... i was told that the icp could be leaking, filling up the valley and coming out of the back does this sound right or no?
8k HIDs w/fog lights
Recon Side Markers(Smoked)
Recon Roof Lights(Smoked)
Harley Davidson Headlights
White L.E.D lights (Parking and Roof lights)
DieselSite Coolant Filter
3.5 Inch straight Exhuast.
Bully Dog Triple Dog w/outlook monitor
Cobra XRS R9G Radar Detector
Sinister EGR Cooler "fix"
.....At the Track..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMiWo6i5ZVA
Ipolute is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2009, 02:10 PM   #12 (permalink)

mine being a 2005 is on the pass. side of the engine and it screws in to the valve cover and has wires going into the top of it with a plug it easy to find on the later model it takes a 15/16 deep well socket and a small extension. it comes out real easy less than 2 minutes to change. you dont have to take anything else off or anything its pretty easy but from what I understand they are a little more tricky on earlier models hope this helps
Old 08-23-2009, 12:08 PM   #13 (permalink)

perfect
8k HIDs w/fog lights
Recon Side Markers(Smoked)
Recon Roof Lights(Smoked)
Harley Davidson Headlights
White L.E.D lights (Parking and Roof lights)
DieselSite Coolant Filter
3.5 Inch straight Exhuast.
Bully Dog Triple Dog w/outlook monitor
Cobra XRS R9G Radar Detector
Sinister EGR Cooler "fix"
.....At the Track..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMiWo6i5ZVA
Ipolute is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.