Injector flush - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2008, 06:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Injector flush

With all the posts on this board screaming about fuel prices, I thought I'd share something and maybe get some advice at the same time. I was talking with a Ford tech yesterday about fuel prices and he said I should bring my truck in for an injector flush because I just went over 100k and I could pick up an extra 2-3 mpg by having this done. Cost is $175.00 and I'm thinking I might give it a try. I really trust this tech...he's never steered me wrong or lead me to buy crap that was useless. Anybody out there ever had this done? BTW, I told him that I had recently been using Diesel Kleen every tank and although he had nothing bad to say about the product, he did say he would never use any fuel additive in a 6.0 except Ford approved additives.
3dayfunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2008, 10:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dayfunk View Post
With all the posts on this board screaming about fuel prices, I thought I'd share something and maybe get some advice at the same time. I was talking with a Ford tech yesterday about fuel prices and he said I should bring my truck in for an injector flush because I just went over 100k and I could pick up an extra 2-3 mpg by having this done. Cost is $175.00 and I'm thinking I might give it a try. I really trust this tech...he's never steered me wrong or lead me to buy crap that was useless. Anybody out there ever had this done? BTW, I told him that I had recently been using Diesel Kleen every tank and although he had nothing bad to say about the product, he did say he would never use any fuel additive in a 6.0 except Ford approved additives.
He's taking the standard dealer / Ford line, and trying to sell his product. Diesel Kleen is just fine. And the injector flush is not needed if you've been using it. Find some good quality commercial biodiesel at B-20 and run that for a bit. I'll clean every thing out just fine.

OMC
Old 03-12-2008, 11:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (14)
Before I spent $150 on an injector flush, I would try Hot Shot:

Diesel Motor Oil MSDS - Primrose Engine Oil Treatment - Small Waste Oil Heater

It has gotten good reviews on this site and others.

Mike
140A Alternator. 125W solar panel. Sportsmobile off-road trailer.
115615 miles. 16.65 mpg average
From Cal to Alaska, Key West, Labrador/Newfoundland and points in between
Salem Kroger coil spring 4wd conversion - 4" lift
05 F350 front axle and aluminum wheels 275/70-18 tires.
46 Gal tank - harpooned pump vent tube.
Scangauge. DieselSite Coolant Filter@72K. Fumoto valve. Amsoil dual remote oil filter setup.
MikeL46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2008, 07:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

I've heard Hotshot mentioned before. Have you ever used it? How effective was it?
3dayfunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2008, 09:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Hots Shots works great, but it cleans the oil side of your injectors and not the fuel channels. For the fuel side, I run some BG244 through every 30k and feel that covers it (< $50). I understand BG has a diesel intake cleaning system coming out- that may be of value as I'm sure these things get nasty with the EGR and there is no other way to clean them except to remove the intake.

Mark
2004 White F350 XLT, CC, SB, 4x4, 6.0L Auto, 3.73LS, Camper Pkg, Skid Pkg, Edge 2" Mini Spring Pack, Bilsteins, MBRP Exhaust, FluidAmpr, Elite Regulated Return (55 psi), Airdog, Weld Evo Velociti & LT285/75-16
Built: 11/03/03
4x4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2008, 10:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

As mentioned before, a low blend biodiesel will keep the injectors 'clean'. Not sure where you're at but a lot of states are blending bio at small concentrations already. In Illinois you's be hard pressed to find straight diesel. 11% bio brings the best tax break. (>10%)
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.