The Diesel Stop banner

Instantly Clogging filters.

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  CameronP. 
#1 ·
Oil cooler replaced approx. 7k mi ago. Drove to NY from VA with 1k on a oil change. On the way back I was left dead in Delaware. Got towed to a parts shop changed oil and filter and got it to start.

The next day I went to start her and same issue. Replaced filter was good to go.

Today was driving to NC from VA and it happened again. Changed filter on roadsise to no avail, then had to be towed home.

1st filter had approx 2100 mi on it
2nd approx 300
3rd approx 150
4th none, just cranking.

Truck is now around 238xxx miles. Non studded. 03 turbo. Egr delete. Have always used rotella t and motocraft filters.

What can cause this?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Do you have particles on the filters? Have you changed oil this last time or just the filter?

Do you have any way to see what your ICP is and what your IPR is doing? You could have junk stuck in your IPR keeping it from building pressure in your high pressure oil system, especially because you just had major work done recently.

#3 ·
Just did another oil filter and oil change this morning, still had to crank. Finally hooked the computer up and here are two screen shots from videos i took while cranking.

I will do an air test tomorrow. HPOP leak some where Im guessing.

Attachments

#4 ·
During a cooler change, if the work area around the oil cooler is not kept extremely clean and debris gets into the oil, it will clog the IPR screen and cause no starts/stalling as the screen gets clogged. I heard of one truck that went through 7 IPR screens before they stopped clogging up with trash.

#5 ·
Your oil filters look fine. If they were actually restricted oil would still flow to the engine having bypassed the filter. I agree with the suspect IPR screen concerns but to a point. Since the truck does seem to run between soil changes. None the less, removing the IPR and inspecting the screen and seals is the least intrusive and quickest item to check. Since it is a 2003, you high pressure oil pump may be on it's way out. I also commonly find the O-rings on the pump discharge tube deteriorated and leaking.

#6 ·
Diag was still showing 85% IPR. After doing HPOP Pressure test and hearing even air on both manifolds and from the filter housing we decided to pull the IPR.

Upon inspection, IPR screen was slightly caved and the plastic around the edge was a little damaged. Popped in a test IPR and she fired right up.

Further Dx revealed injector #7 is going out. New IPR and Injectors should be placed in today.

I was expected a lot worse for a non-studded 6.0 at 327k.

#7 ·
Nice when its just an external thread in part but sure would be nice if it was easier to get at...like maybe mounted in the side of the upper rad hose or something :)

Maybe a hole in the firewall where you could slip a wrench through from the drivers seat and change it while coasting down a hill.

#8 ·
Its at my buddies shop. He has a special socket for it with a long extention. New one will be in tomorrow and the passenger bank of injectors will be in. Then I can start my move to NC!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.