Instrument cluster stopped working - PLEASE Help - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2009, 01:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy Instrument cluster stopped working - PLEASE Help

I am in desperate need of some help - I have searched high and low and cannot see a solution on the forum. If this has been discussed before I apologize as I tried to find it...

I was recently stranded on the side of the road due to a bad battery. I understand that weird things can happen when batteries get low or if there's an issue with the charging system. Prior to my truck dieing, the gauge cluster went completely out - no gauges, no lights.

When it died, I assumed it was due to the bad batteries. I have replaced both batteries and have checked all of the fuses under the dash, as well as, the couple under the hood on the drivers side - they are all good, but the instrument cluster still does not work.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the problem? I am concerned because it is very coincidental that the cluster went out about the same time that I was stranded. I want to make sure that I fix the root cause.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. BTW, I have ~180k miles on my 6.0...
kpendlet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2009, 01:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Just curious, you didn't state wether the truck was running now?
2005 Lariet, 6.0, 3:73 1969 Mach 1, 428 CJ
1971 Triumph Trident(SOLD)
2007 Road King flhp
2007 Jazz 5er, 11k
173rd Airborne
69cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2009, 02:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yes, I can get it started now with the new batteries, but I am hesitant to go very far as I don't want to get stranded again.

As a side note, how do you check the alternator without taking it out and load testing it?
kpendlet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2009, 02:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpendlet View Post
As a side note, how do you check the alternator without taking it out and load testing it?
We have a Charging System tester at my work that you load test the alternator w/o removing it, you can also do a starting sytem test.What I'm getting at is someone around you(a shop or friend) might have something similar.Good Luck.
SCT X3 Custom Tuned by Innovative,
58v FICM Tuned by Innovative,
MBRP Stainless 4" Turbo Back,
ISSPRO Pyro,Boost, & Trans Gauges
Prodigy Brake Controller,Remote Start and Turbo Cooldown,
High Idle Mod., PM-13A on the Oil Pan,
HFCM Plug Upgrade,DieselSite Coolant Filter,
Blue Spring Mod, 08 Diff Cover,
Banjo Bolt Mod, Energy Suspension Bushings,& Stanadyne every tank
my03psd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2009, 10:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thumbs up no dash panel lights or gauges...

hi Kependlet...had the same issue with mine about 4 months ago...seems that the shifer column has a chafing point that wears through the tow haul wire on the shifter...this also shorted a relay that is in a box under the hood...new shifter and relay and diagnostics was I think around $360.00...hope this helps!...B
03powerstrokeuser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2009, 10:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

Mine did that and I found that the forks on the fuses were too loose in the fuse box. Even tho the fuses arent blown, they might not be making good contact with their sockets. I just twisted the forks on the fuses a little so that they had good contact.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

kpendlet,

I am having the same issue. . .Did any of these solutions work for you? If not, what finnally did?

PS. . I have a 71 Bronco for a crawler. . .Have had it for 22 years now.
blueford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2010, 09:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

no lights and guages on intrument cluster/ no function

Kpendlet and blueford:
sorry to hear of your situation...as i posted a while back,my cluster worked fine after the shifter wire chafing issue and relay was resolved...i also had to have new batts and an alternator...i can't remember the person who posted here the importance of load testing the batts 3 times a year and to use a maintainer to keep them topped off!!!my issue was my fault because i neglected to use due diligence in that area...also check the alternator as it may not be charging the system as mine was not!!!i pulled mine and had it checked,it showed good but was bad all along...by the way, thanks to all the guys on this site that go out of their way to help the likes of me!!!many times i have been helped here an no one ever knew!!!you are all fine guys and wish you the best...ps:i'll dig up my repair order for the number of the relay,maybe 69cj or bismic can chime in with it's location under the hood.i also would not run the truck until your charging system is put right.don't want to take out that ficm!!!regards to all...b
03powerstrokeuser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.