IPR screen has hole, no start - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 12:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
IPR screen has hole, no start

I have been searching forums for awhile now and can't seem to find what I'm looking for, this may have been discussed already so if it has I apoligize.

Had my 05 6.0 die on me when I was pulling in my driveway. Crank but no start. Did the air pressure check by plugging in through the ipc sensor port. No leaks. Building 0 psi for hpo. LPO was fine. FICM was reading correct voltage. Changed out HPOP and when i pulled IPR, there was a hole in the screen of my IPR.

Now my question is should I go ahead and put my truck back together with new HPOP and IPR, or remove oil cooler and check the screen and possibly replace with new screen and oil cooler.
adamlanghans is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 01:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

I would put back together with new IPR and hpop. But it can't hurt to.check the screen if you have the time and motivation.

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App
speedrcr78 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 04:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamlanghans View Post
Had my 05 6.0 die on me when I was pulling in my driveway. Crank but no start. Did the air pressure check by plugging in through the ipc sensor port. No leaks. Building 0 psi for hpo. LPO was fine. FICM was reading correct voltage. Changed out HPOP and when i pulled IPR, there was a hole in the screen of my IPR.
A break in the IPR screen indicates that it likely accumulated some debris which can break it or even force the screen to pop off the tip of the IPR. This can lead to the debris getting caught in the valve preventing it from closing. The suspects are [1] the panels of the HPOP oil supply inlet dislodging which is common and [2] debris in the HPOP reservoir from a sloppy oil cooler repair or contamination from the low pressure oil system making it's way through the missing panels of the screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamlanghans View Post
Now my question is should I go ahead and put my truck back together with new HPOP and IPR, or remove oil cooler and check the screen and possibly replace with new screen and oil cooler.
If it were my truck I would have replaced the IPR BEFORE disassembling anything on the engine. For me it is a matter of cost for the parts but I also want to know what direction my diagnosis and repair should proceed. I would not want to replace a perfectly good HPOP. Not knowing the service and repair history and mileage of the truck, removing the oil cooler to inspect the screen and probably replacing it along with the oil cooler would in fact be prudent.

There are other possible causes for your high pressure oil system leak but I would at least try a new IPR and see if it starts... If you already have the pump out, at least inspect the outlet fitting (a.k.a. STC fitting) for looseness and leaking o-rings making sure the engine goes back together with the one-piece fitting.
Diesel Mentor Directory
ford_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford_doctor View Post
A break in the IPR screen indicates that it likely accumulated some debris which can break it or even force the screen to pop off the tip of the IPR. This can lead to the debris getting caught in the valve preventing it from closing. The suspects are [1] the panels of the HPOP oil supply inlet dislodging which is common and [2] debris in the HPOP reservoir from a sloppy oil cooler repair or contamination from the low pressure oil system making it's way through the missing panels of the screen.
How common are 05 HPOP failures?
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
bismic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
How common are 05 HPOP failures?

Rare. Especially when compared to everything else on this engine that goes "bad."
Diesel Mentor Directory
ford_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.