The Diesel Stop banner

Just died

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  LRRP 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

I posted this in the Excursion forum, but, there isn't much traffic there anymore, so, I decided to post here. ( I hope the moderators aren't too hard on me!)

The Excursion in my signature just died. I was rounding a curve out in the country and lights came on and power from the engine was lost. I just filled the tank with fuel, so, I don't know if these events are related.
It has 88,000 miles on it, and until recently, it was fairly reliable.
I called a local tow company and they came with a rollback and picked it up. (Literally.) It is in the driveway now, and I was wondering what is up? I'd like to hear some opinions so, maybe I will know what is coming at me. Is this the latest in the 6.0 saga? Just kidding. The thing has been fairly reliable. Maybe a CPS? Possibly something simple? Thanks for your replies in advance. Craig.

#2 ·
Sounds like you need to start with a good code reader. The later 6.0's are famous for high pressure oil leaks...that's what left mine sitting at a traffic light! If you get a P2290 code, that's the indicator. There are some upgraded parts from dealer to cure this...upgraded STC fitting, upgrade standpipes and dummy plugs.

Talking to a local 6.0L mechanic (not necessarily at dealer) is the best way to go. If you are going to fix one thing, it's sometimes better doing other stuff, while stuff is already taken apart anyway...if that makes sense.

#3 · (Edited)
Funny you should mention that. The F-350 in my signature just had the standpipes, dummy plugs, etc. replaced. It died in a Lowes parking lot and wouldn't restart. I was told that engine needs 560 PSI oil pressure to start. We got that thing started using a gasoline soaked rag which provided enough energy to spin the engine fast enough to get it going. That was an expensive proposition.

I was just wondering if the CPS could be the culprit. According to a youtube video, the codes that record when they go bad aren't necessarily reliable. Also, I saw in the video that those aren't necessarily a high failure item. Anyway, thanks for your reply, Craig.

#4 ·
I am going to agree with fordsforever73 and since the standpipes and dummy plugs have been done with no mention of the STC fitting, I would lean in that direction. The CPS was more of an issue in the 7.3 and could be diagnosed by watching the tach during cranking. Is it possible you meant the IPR or ICP? A scan tool is the best bet for an early diagnosis. I have the Edge CS and as you can see in fordsforever73 signature, he uses a SCT Livewire to monitor systems.

#5 ·
My F-350 has had the dummy plugs and standpipes and STC fitting done; the Excursion hasn't been touched.
I have read that the CPS was an issue on the 7.3 liter due to the fact there was only one; the 6 liter has two. I understand if you lose one then the light on the dash turns on, which it did. I am wondering if I lost the other. Also, I understand that the codes set by these failures aren't necessarily correct.
I use a scangauge on the F-350 due to monitoring exhaust gas temperatures; I had a cooler failure in addition to the standpipe issue. Thanks for your reply, Craig.

#6 ·
I'm late to the party, but my 05 quit on me like that. I have a long post on another forum about it.
I had replaced oil cooler, egr cooler and put in 4 rebuilt injectors. Long story short, DO NOT buy parts from DCP on ebay. (Diesel Care Products) They are nice enough folks but they cost me two weeks more downtime and a LOT of wrenching.
Two of the rebuilt injectors were bad, coils on one, injector internals on another. I fixed the one with the bad coil by putting the original coils on it. The other I sent back, but put a known good original back on it.
The other issue was the "upgraded" standpipes I got from them. After all the trials and tribulation I went through, after 50 miles of driving, one of the standpipe O rings blew out. I'm no dummy mechanic so I know how to install them. I made sure I was gentle with them and had them oiled up good before installing them. Luckily I found all the pieces. I replaced it with the one that came out of it. Someone had already replaced them before I got the truck.

I would say based on the way your truck quit it is definitely a HPO problem. Either standpipes or STC fitting. I've heard a lot of folks say that it isn't a matter of if the STC will fail, it's a matter of when.

Good luck, keep us posted.

#8 ·
The one time mine did while going down the road, it turned out to be the IPR. A small piece of debris got lodged in there and wouldn't allow it to close properly. It was about a week or so after I had done some major work (changed STC, standpipes, dummy plugs, oil cooler & EGR cooler). After getting advice on this forum, I spent $20 and got the special tool from Amazon to remove the IPR with a socket wrench, u-joint & extension. I pulled it out, cleaned it with WD-40 while compressing the spring, replaced the screen, and it started right up.

You can also unplug the IPC sensor and see if it will start. If so, the sensor needs to be replaced. If not, the problem lies elsewhere.

The real key to avoid throwing expensive parts at it will be to use a scan tool. With that, you should be able to read your IPC, oil pressure, and IPR%. That will tell you what to do. I bought a wifi scanner on Amazon and got the free Forscan software to use with my laptop (too cheap to pay for the one that runs on my phone when there's a free one available)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.