leaking injectors? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2005, 05:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
leaking injectors?

I think I have em. I just changed the oil in my truck and I drained 18qts of "oil". I know for certain I only put 14 qts in 5k miles ago.

Does all this "extra" oil mean my injector(s) are leaking? It's the only thing I can think of.

If injectors need to be replaced, is this a major job? Can it be done in a day?

Thanks

Mac

Replaced F-350 PSD SuperCrew XLT 6.0L TorqueShift Dark Shadow Grey Feb. 03 Build
DPP Turboback
Mac84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2005, 06:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: leaking injectors?

Holy Cow.
That's a gallon extra. Which means that almost 25% of what is in your crankcase is FUEL. The stuff that aids in combustion.
I never measured mine but it sure did smell like diesel when I had a bad one.

Yours probably REALLY smells like it. Check it out and save some to take to the dealer. Quick.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Fuel dilution of your engine oil is likely given the information you supplied us. It's not the set of injectors that leaks rather it's likely limited to one... or possibly two in a rare instance. Replacing an injector is not a lengthy repair but identifying the culprit injector can take time. Usually, putting oil tracer dye in the engine fuel filter housing and turning on the pump will show the leaking injector. I had one that would not leak unless the engine was hot. To locate it I simply plugged in the block heater and came back to the truck several hours later and the dye was visible around that injector.
Diesel Mentor Directory
ford_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2005, 07:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

has anyone done a repair "how to for dummies" on this yet? if not, does anyone who knows how want to?
8" Superlift with Bilsteins
37" Nitto Mud Grapplers on 17x10 Mazzi Hulk rims
weraracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.