Lets see how smart you all are. Runs rough when warm? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2011, 08:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lets see how smart you all are. Runs rough when warm?

'03 6.0 Powerstroke. Rough idle AFTER it warms up. Runs fine cold. It seems to studder and miss at mid range acceleration. Egr deleted and new oil cooler installed. New lift pump. Replaced ICP sensor. Have 48.5 volts at the FICM. Replaced the fuel pressure spring to the blue one. All new filters. Does not smoke. Does not throw codes. I need to fix this truck one last time. It has a date with the bottem of a very deep lake! It has been nothing but a pos since it hit the ripe old age of 25k miles!
memarkers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2011, 09:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
DMC

My Photos: (2)
Are fuel filters OEM?
DMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2011, 09:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Need to look at ICP, ICP desired, and IPR duty cycle readings at various rpms.

What are you using to read codes?
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
bismic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2011, 09:11 AM   #4 (permalink)

OEM filters for sure. As far as the code reader it is a loaner from a buddy. Not real sure of the brand. I'm not getting the CEL though. It just blows me away that it runs good when cold but not hot. I can't find one other post anywhere with that being the case.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

if you could get a scanguage from somebody, check out the icp sensor and the pressures at various while running.
05 f250 6.0 xlt ext. cab long box Fx4, 130k auto, 3.73's, stainless along bottom, 105 gallon L-shaped fuel tank, 8'6" Boss poly v-plow, 2 cracked y pipes, replaced egr valve, replaced ficm, 2 new napa batteries, new ford 140amp alternator, blue spring upgrade, scanguage II, sinister cooant filtration system, drivers side ball joints at 130k, retired juice w/ attitude on the shelf

**to do list**
egr delete, programmer, egt and fp gauge, coolant flush with elc, 5" turbo back

99 f250 5.4 xlt reg cab long box 4x4 5pd manual, 125K, 4.10s, L-shaped fuel tank, shot one plug

11 f150 King ranch 4x4 3.53s, CC 5.0 6sp, 2 tone white/tan, everything but tailgate step
Joe_r_dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2011, 01:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

are you talking about the scangauge II?
Old 10-21-2011, 01:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by memarkers View Post
are you talking about the scangauge II?
yes or a edge insight.

thats how smart we are
05harley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2011, 07:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

You may want to check/replace the check valves on the oil rails. When the check valve/valves fail, it will cause a rough run at the 1700 to 2400 rpm range (if I remember correctly). Would definitely recommend checking for codes with ford specific scan tool.
djshum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2011, 10:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

Just curious, are you still running the egr throttle plate on it? Do you have delayed shifts as well? b
03 F-250 CC LB XLT 3:73 rear/ almost stock/ early build/ 78,000 miles...03 F-250 ext cab Lariat Fx4 SB 3:73's /stock/187,000 all original injectors...FICM by Ed @FICM.COM / ScanGuage 2 monitoring the vitals...
03powerstrokeuser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2011, 10:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

What kind of oil are you running and how fresh is it?
02 F350 4x4 CREW 7.3 150K, BFG Rugged Terrain 285s, AIS, Isspro pyro, boost & tranny temp pillar pod, Dipricol coolant temp, ELC, Isspro EV-2 Fuel Pressure & HPOP, Dieselsite boots, coolant & tranny filters & 203* Stat, 6.0 Tranny Cooler, ITP pre pump tank mod, Bellowed Up Pipes, Riffraff Frx, netbook mount with AE, GPR LED, Stancor, Red Head steering gear, Battery Tender & 2 Marincos.
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2011, 11:32 PM   #11 (permalink)

i would do more testing but i suspect Ipr Valve i had a similar issue you wouldn't feel it cold only hot and at a steady speed it felt like it was missing and surging no codes or CEL changed ipr all good!
2005 F-350 Fx4-Lariat 6.0l, ARP Headstuds, RCD D-Kit, Banks Turbo back 4" duals, Banks Test Pipe, AFE stage2 intake, dfuser Coolant Filter, High Idle, SCT Touch Screen with Custom Tunes by Vivian@quicktricks,190cc/75% Injectors, HD Headlights with HID 8000k Bulbs, Rhino Box Liner, A.R Tactic Matte BLK 18" Rims wrapped in 33x12.5 Toyo Open Country, 2.5" Ranco Leveling kit, RS9000 Adjustable Shocks, 240Amp Alt, Alpine CDA-9887,2 Alpine Type X 10" Powered by PDX 1,1000 RMS, Alpine Type R 5x7 Powered by MRP-F600
spinninall4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2011, 08:36 AM   #12 (permalink)

03powerstrokeuser, yes to both questions. I dont get the delay until after it's warm and starts acting up. Can the truck be throwing codes without the CEL on? The reader I've been using always shows the codes when the CEL is on but right now It's just not on. I changed the oil yesterday (T6)and added HSS just to give it a try. The shop that sold it to me said at the very least it will clean the truck out so why not.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:15 AM   #13 (permalink)

It may be the IPR. I have no way to test it. Its going to the shop. I give up! I'm $700 in at this point. Besides, the guys at the shop need to make a living too! This is the last straw. Shes going on the auction block when I get it back!
Old 10-22-2011, 12:42 PM   #14 (permalink)

[QUOTE=memarkers;2122293]It may be the IPR. I have no way to test it. Its going to the shop. I give up! I'm $700 in at this point. Besides, the guys at the shop need to make a living too! This is the last straw. Shes going on the auction block when I get it back![/QU

What is the manufacturer of the scanner?? scan gauge ?? edge insight ??

either one of these will pick up a code. i know mine does.

I think if i would buy another scanner it might be the autoenginuity instead of the edge insight for the money.Or if i could use it to its capability. That is why everyone here is preaching the gauges to eliminate other problems that has same causes or similar issues,instead of throwing money at it. the $700 that you paid already might of bought.both the repair and a gauge.

just my .02
05harley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.