This advice on increasing the longevity of your truck is all good advice.I could only add 1or 2 more. This advice says add a Magnefine Magnetic filter to your Power Steering but also add one to your auto transmissiom return line. Ford did in their testing of the Magnefine and found it reduced repeat failures by 30 % and suggested if installed earlier would have prevented the initial failures. Chrysler also installed them for the same reasons.
Additionally you van now by MagnaFilter which is the same advanced magnetic flux technology but as a adapter that sits ontop of your spin on engine filter and it removes the 50% of iron that your spin on doesn't. Don't get me wrong i've got a vested interest we make the design and manufacture these sophisticated magnetic filters in conjunction with our USA partners. But everyone that uses them,is impressed and happier.
If you want a "lifer" of a truck:
1. Be METICULOUS on ALL the fluid and filter changes. Proper filters (Motorcraft, Racor, Or International), proper fluids (CI4+ or CJ4 oil, Mercon SP tranny fluid, and Motorcraft Premium Gold or G-05 coolant), proper filter change intervals.
2. Properly maintain and check your coolant properties twice per year (ALWAYS keep it between 40% and 60%, NEVER let the degas bottle get empty, keep the nitrites above 800. Also, flush the coolant every 50k miles and use VC-9 iron cleaner as part of the flush. If the Nitrite level is ever under 300, then flush and replace the fluid. Fix leaks (even a leaking degas bottle cap) PROMPTLY. Ford part number for test kit: 328-00001
3. Drive EASY until the truck is FULLY warm.
4. Properly maintain and check your battery and alternator twice per year.
5. Coolant filter (dieselsite filter is a good choice)
6. Be very picky about where you fuel up - use high volume stations. Bad fuel can cause a lot of issues. Use a quality fuel additive for cetane AND lubricity. Drain your HFCM every oil change and when you drain water from it, empty it into a jar and visually inspect.
7. Get the latest flash update for your trucks computers
8. HIgh idle mod in case you have to idle for very long. Minimize idling if you can.
9. FICM repair (re-soldering) from SWAMPS and voltage upgrade (consider a custom progran from "PowerHungryPerformance").
10. GAUGES - fuel pressure, boost, EGT, EOT and ECT, voltage - minimum
11. CCV re-route (Use 1 inch hose, GST-II for oil resistance, and I use a Racor-6000-08-L, but a RACOR 4500 would do).
12. Stiffer fuel regulator spring (3c3Z-9t517-ae)
13. Power steering filter (Magnefine #M010CB - w/ 3/8 inch connections). Cheap mod - can't hurt.
14. Regularly "pull and check" EGR valve for coking (and for wetness) - do it w/ your truck on an incline facing downwards. maybe even do the same for your turbo.
15. 2008 Tranny pan with filter (instead of a screen). This one I am not convinced is necesary, but a lot of folks like it!
16. Depending on the year model, you may need the updated turbo drain tube (Ford Part # 6C3Z-9T515-A or International Part # 1876071C91).
17. For 05's and 06's - replace the STC fitting with the updated one piece connection.
18. Return regulated fuel system (or FASS or Air Dog set-up)
19. Head studs
20. EGR system - I think an engine can be reliable WITH the EGR, but that is probably a minority opinion. Research the options carefully here.
21. SCT tuner or Spartan Phalynx - If you must run a tuner, research it well and get the most reliable custom tunes.
22. Larger exhaust (4 inch)
23. Occasionally "punch it and drive hard for a short while" BUT ONLY after fully warm
24. Read the forums and learn all you can about your truck and doing repairs yourself - you will save a lot of $$'s.
25. Find a mechanic that comes HIGHLY recommended. A good dealership mechanic is worth a fortune to you.
Ten best mods (IMO):
1. coolant filter (dieselsite filter is a good choice).
2. Stiffer fuel pressure regulator spring (3c3Z-9t517-ae) or the BB mod.
3. Larger turbo oil drain tube (depending on your year model) (Ford Part # 6C3Z-9T515-A or International Part # 1876071C91)
4. Gauges!!! Especially fuel pressure, boost, ECT, and EOT.
5. ccv re-route ( 1 inch hose, GST-II for oil resistance, and a Racor or similar filter - either a 4500 or a 6000, ).
6. Fumoto valve (http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=33)
7. Updated HFCM drain plug (Ford #6E7Z-9C082-A or International #2589259C91)
8. Harpoon the fuel tank
9. High idle mod
10. Power steering filter (Magnefine #M010CB - w/ 3/8 inch connections).[/quote]