LOSING PRIME - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2011, 05:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
LOSING PRIME

I need some help. I having starting problems I am losing my fuel prime. Ok before you start the way I know it itís the prime is if I back in to the driveway ass in the air she starts right up. Or of I pull in nose in the air 3 or more cycles to get her started. And it is only in the morning or after a 10hour sit. So what is causing this issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2011, 06:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (19)
Any issues starting the truck when hot? Parked nose up?
ex mounty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2011, 07:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Most likely it's not a fuel problem. Back in the driveway and see if you have fuel in the upper filter after it sits. The fuel system loses pressure with the truck off. Unless you have a cracked filter cap or bad line, the fuel system to the upper filter will purge when the truck gets turned on, and the fuel pump runs. You'd have a noticeable fuel leak.

It's probably a leak in your HPO system, or crack in your HPO reservoir.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Have you tried taking the fuel filter cover off and having someone turn the key on and watching the fuel flow?
I am sceptical that you are losing "fuel prime", but I am leaning more towards a high pressure oil system leak.

Let me explain my theory:
The high pressure oil system is fed by the low pressure oil system.
The low pressure system fills a "reservoir" that is located on top and in the front of the engine, under the oil filter housing (more or less). The reservoir drains down through a screen and into a channel, that channel feeds the High Pressure Oil Pump (HPOP).
If you park with the nose up, this reservoir could drain back into the oil pan if there is a high pressure oil leak.
Heres the only way I can think of to check this out;

Park the truck nose up, check the oil level on the dipstick. It will not be an accurate measure of what the true level is in the truck, but for this it really does not matter. You just need a "starting point." Mark the level on the dipstick any way you can think of. A dab of red lipstick might work for this, I don't know.
The next morning (or at least the 10 hours later you describe), before cranking the engine, recheck your oil level. Has it gone up?? Even slightly? This would tell you if the oil is draining back from the High Pressure Oil system, but will NOT tell you where the actual leak is.
Also, if you see higher oil level, What it is really telling you is that it is time to get the high pressure oil system checked by a qualified tech.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

ok i checked the fuel filter after it had been sitting for about 6 hours. it was full and the truck started right up, it did stumble a little but never died. i will check in the morning after a bout 11 hours of sitting
Old 03-29-2011, 02:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ok I am not losing the prime. I just opened the fuel filter cap and the bowl was full. Now this is the other thing when I went to remove the cap there was a vacuum you could here. Is the normal?
Old 03-29-2011, 03:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yes, that noise is normal.
Park it on a steep incline, nose up. Check the oil level when you leave it. In the morning, before cranking it over check the oil level again. If the oil level has risen, you MAY have a high pressure oil system leak. The level may not rise very much, so your check has to be VERY accurate.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

How can I find the leek in the high pressure system
Old 03-29-2011, 04:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

To answer your question, you can't.
IF you have a high pressure oil system leak, it would be an internal oil leak. It would be undetectable from the outside of the engine.
There is only one way to do it that I am aware of and that is to pressurize the high pressure oil system with compressed air and listen for where you hear the leak. If you know the internal layout of the engine, you can determine what part has failed and is leaking. This is probably better left in the hands of a qualified tech.
Otherwise your just guessing and hoping and repairing it over and over until you get it right.

Again, please understand that I am NOT saying that you have a leak. There are steps you can take to attempt to determine if that is the case or not. With this engine, if you jump to conclusions, it will cost you thousand upon thousands of dollars in repairs. Test, verify, repair.

Last edited by ex mounty; 03-29-2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

I have the same problem that I have been chasing for about 1.5 years. The only difference is that my issue happens when parked on flat ground or nose facing down hill. It happens when the engine has been off for 3 hours or more.
camd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2011, 11:48 AM   #11 (permalink)

Problem fixed

I replaced my oil filter from the fram (p.o.s) to a motorcraft unit let her sit over night and this morning she fired right up. I got my info from another member here in the board. I guess this I known issue for those guys working on these trucks. Ford parts only from now on.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:18 PM   #12 (permalink)

????? The fram is a motorcraft filter, or rather they are made by the same manufacturer. So they are exactly the same filter. Something must have been wrong with the way it was installed or an issue with that filter or.... somebody bought an after market filter and decided to "exchange" it for the fram and return the other filter in the fram box. If you still have the filter that came out look at the bottom. Are there patent numbers on the bottom? If so then that filter should have been ok, if no patent numbers then somebody got ya....

2008 FX4 F250 CCSB w/ 6.4L PSD - Edge Insight, H13 Bi-HIDs, custom coolant filter, "all deleted", fumoto.
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2011, 11:49 AM   #13 (permalink)

I will look into it but she is starting fine. But my friend said that there is a difference between the frams and motorctaft. May that are but when I changed filters it fixed my problems. I did no do any thing else. Just changed my filter and my starting problems are gone. My friend is a mobile diesel mechanic that specializes in fords.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:58 PM   #14 (permalink)

fixed for real

It was the high pressure oil pump. The front seal finely blew out. It took a little work but I replaced it myself. Also my edge programmer went out. What I mean by that is I had been having problem when it gets cold with the truck dying after starting. So after I got everything put back together she would not run right like she was starving for fuel. After unplugging it she ran great. So my two problems are now fixed. It has been 3 weeks and a short trip with the trailer(11,000 lb) she is back!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.