Low power, no turbo boost? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2008, 05:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Low power, no turbo boost?

I have a 2003 6.0 192k miles it just started acting anemic. Take off from a stop, jumps right out until about 20 mph then crawls to accelerate up to highway speeds. No hitches, bumps, stalls, shakes, just a real smooth slow acceleration, no smoke, no weird sounds. Once up to 65 mph on level pavement it moves along ok but if you want to accelerate it picks up speed slowly. Trans is working fine. I've been reading about what's been said about driving it hard and the last half year I've been driving it slower around 55-60 mph on the highway. Just went up in the Socal mtns last week up to 7000 ft. no problem but it just didn't want to pick up speed very quickly. Anybody have a problem similar to this, I searched but couldn't find anything just the same. If anybody did it always seemed they were blowing white or black smoke and I'm not blowing any smoke. Ideas?
oldtimer179 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2008, 05:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have an 03 and had a seemilar problem. water separater light stayed on. Dealer replaced the EGR valve. According to the Ford dealer water in the fuel, caused the Valve to get moisture and trash and Corrode a bit. That seemed to fix it. May want to check that first.
ap24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2008, 06:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

Just replaced all the filters, water in fuel light has never come on but I was thinking of checking the egr valve. thanks
oldtimer179 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2008, 07:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to PSD POWER007
The vanes on the turbo might be sticking. At least that's what it sounds like to me.
GTP 38R w/WW2, DYI Tymar, PIS 175/80's, Adrenaline HPOP, RiffRaff FRX, Magnaflow TBE, IH up pipes, DP-Tuner F6 custom tuned, Bilstein shocks, 05 Harley HL with HID conversion, Edge Insight CS, EBPV delete, Dieselsite BRV, Factory 20" wheels, Dieselsite turbo boots, AIH delete

2008 Subaru WRX STI
305whp/369wtq
PSD POWER007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2008, 07:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Monitor pids to verify turbo learn procedure has been complete. If the batteries were disconnected, codes cleared, program recently done, it will need to re-learn. Intake and exhaust mods. can also cause issues.
djshum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2008, 06:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)
My 2007 6.0L started this tonight. I'm thinking it's an EGR. On my 2004, I experienced something similar, but it ran real quiet at idle when the EGR stuck. This one doesn't do anything different except run up to third gear and hold about 3,000 rpm forever. The only way it will then shift is if I back of a little - then it shifts. If I keep on it, it will start bucking and cutting out a bit and vibrates. The it runs crappy for a while as I drive it real easy.

I think this is an EGR issue. I assume the turbo would throw a code, but I have none. Boost is not an issue, I guess... on hard accelleration, I get 22psi or so.

Any ideas? How hard is it to change the EGR?
Smokewagun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2008, 10:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

Talking Low power - no boost

When mine does this it usually is because the boost gauge tube pops out of the T connector and just that little bit of a loss of pressure causes the thing to have no guts. Runs just fine but takes forever to get to speed. And just let it blow out when pulling a 12k fifth wheel camper and you can only get about 5 miles per hour (if on flat ground or downhill).

Doesn't make any noise when it does it, I just notice loss of power and look at the boost gauge and it reads zero.

Amazing that that little tube (about 1/8 inch diameter) can make it gutless.

Must be like the thorn in the elephant's foot - makes em helpless.

Pulling a 2004 Forest River Spinnaker 29WBLE 5ver.

I'm Towing Now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
earnhardtfan55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2008, 01:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)
Mine turned out to be "gelling". Apparently, Powerservice isn't rated for 12 below zero. $133 later, it runs better. I just can't believe the anti-gell gelled!
Smokewagun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

Low power, no turbo boost?

Guys can anyone help? About year ago I lost boost in my truck so long story short I've unplugged EGR valve and got my boost back. About a week ago I took of my muffler and put a strait pipe and after a couple of day I got no boost again with EGR valve plunged or unplugged. Had two codes before P0069, P0403 but I cleared them out. Can anyone help?????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????
Maclaban is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.